Chester Easter Gaslow fitting help (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Heres hoping

I have bought a used Gaslow kit, half full of gas, complete with hoses (I think / hope), but I have bought a couple of spares, possibly the wrong ones knowing my luck

The 2 bottle kit includes a filling point, does anybody who is coming to Chester have the right sized hole saw and sufficient skill to cut a hole in my MH :Eeek: and then enough knowledge to locate bottles and make correct connections in locker box (I can actually put the bottles in the locker)

I keep reading that these systems are as easy to fit as changing a cylinder, well I have to disagree, my bottle change has a hand screw fitting, no tools, at the very least I would need a spanner to fit this lot

I am hoping / presuming the same regulator with hand screw will be retained, the system doesn't have an auto changeover

I am a willing observer and will supply coffee / beer / wine etc for any useful helpers, anybody else just wanting to watch and learn bring your own beer :D

Note to anybody offering help I don't have tools :) other than a multi meter, spare fuses and bottle opener :D

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Andy

we can also compare BP readings, I am going to have to upgrade my monitor to one like yours before Chester, mine is good but nothing like your spec, but at least mine gives lower readings :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I will take a photo of exactly what I have in case I need to buy anything, it does seem to be a very simple system, especially without auto changeover, not even any gauges on what I have are they worth the trouble?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
With two bottles you can live without a gauges. You'll get to know how long you get from one bottle and then know how long you have before the second is going to be empty and that time is how long you have to refill.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
David, I suspect I have the same hand screw fittings as you. Gas-it provided me with adapters to allow me to continue using them. I think this is the required adapter.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
we have an auto changeover but never use it when one bottle runs out turn it off and turn the full one on. fill up soon after but never a rush except in winter as you never know how cold its going to get, you also fill both bottles not just the empty one

joe

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Thanks Andy

we can also compare BP readings, I am going to have to upgrade my monitor to one like yours before Chester, mine is good but nothing like your spec, but at least mine gives lower readings :D
Broken Link Removed

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I installed one last weekend and had the choice of putting a hole through the side panel of our PVC or through the locker floor and placing the filler on the skirting - which we did. It was easier to access and just required a hole cutter to go through the locker floor and a method of attaching the filler to the skirt (I used some treated wood to space it away from some some ridges in the metal work.

I bought a 70mm hole cutter from Screwfix (approx £8) for the side panel but decided against making the hole - especially as it would have ended up reducing space in the storage cupboard where it would have entered the vehicle.

You will need to ensure that the regulator in your van can cope with the pressure from your bottles and the fittings for your gaslow bottles fit your existing regulator. I bought a combined regulator and changeover system for approx £40.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG

now I am already more confused than is good for me

I actually also bought 2 x hoses from another funster that he had unused as spares, I have checked those and think that one of them will be a stainless steel replacement for the rubber hose in photo based on the fittings, that hose is possibly best changed anyway

My other confusion is that I thought I had read that a 2 bottle system had 2 different bottles, I cant see anything on these to tell them apart

So I need the adaptor as mentioned by Phil, will my standard propane regulator then be OK? our MH is away till the weekend having its suspension doctored so cant photograph that bit till Sunday

Anybody spot anything else obvious that I will need?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You are missing the fill hose that links bottle one to bottle two and the fill hose from the fill point to the bottles.

Interconnect hose 0.75metre example
Broken Link Removed

Fill hose 1.5metre example
Broken Link Removed

Length can only be determined on surveying.However they are most likely

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You are missing the fill hose that links bottle one to bottle two and the fill hose from the fill point to the bottles.

When I picked it up the seller had the long SS hose connected to the filler, then the short SS hose linking the 2 bottles

He did say I would need to replace the rubber hose due to age and missing washer that he said connected to his regulator

Are the tanks at least right?? :LOL::LOL:

edit - I have at least just spotted the difference in the fittings on top of the cylinders

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Tanks ok and hoses too apparently, they didn't look like JIC in the picture but what you say confirms that they are (y)
The rubber one is 21.8 to W20 but if you are using your hand wheel POL W20 it will be redundant anyway but you would need the 21.8 POL adapter as Phil linked to.
I have a spare adapter for a fair price if you want it.

EDIT you may need longer screws for the fill point depending on how thick your van skirt is? As it was previously fitted to that mounting bracket that would have been inside the locker

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Tanks ok and hoses too apparently, they didn't look like JIC in the picture but what you say confirms that they are (y)

that will teach me for not using my flash on camera, will try harder next time, or wait for daylight as I normally would :D

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This is most likely the best option 30mb to replace your existing regulator for one with auto/manual changeover, allowing both bottles to be connected permanently.
You need to know whether your gas pipe is 8mm or 10mm before considering buying.
http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=268

How will I know whether I have 8 or 10mm pipework? will it be stamped on pipe / hose?

I guess I would also need another hose to connect both bottles to this regulator

Will my existing regulator not be good enough? even if only to get me going

This is why I don't do jobs, I would normally have got to a point of no return then find I need something I cant get

I have also heard people talk of needing 90 degree adaptors to get hoses on in tight spaces, will try to see if I might need those as well, might just be best to have a couple in case I guess

After all I will be saving a fortune in gas refills, soon get pay back (y)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes you can leave it as is and use the adapter. The hoses you bought off Bob will connect your bottles to the changeover when you upgrade.
The only 90 degree you might need depending on locker height is on the upward connection on the bottle on the right in you picture. Imagine a hose connected to that and the room it will need to bend?
img_0381-jpg.57111

EDIT
See like on the left here
gaslow-XL.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
and I thought maybe off the back of the filler which will be alongside the locker, on mine the whole skirt lifts up as the gas locker door, so needs to be mounted to one side

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
and I thought maybe off the back of the filler which will be alongside the locker, on mine the whole skirt lifts up as the gas locker door, so needs to be mounted to one side
Fine just apply logic (y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
What does the back of the round filler unit at the top of your picture look like? Does it have a brass adaptor that will accept the nozzle used at fuel stations and an out let that will accept the filler hose leading to the gas bottle?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back