Has anyone uprated their Bailey motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph Approach
Exp
I'm a newbie
I know this can be done through SVtech, just wondered if any Bailey owners had actually done it.

OP
OP
Pollyandarthur

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie
Not done ours but got previous motorhome uprated

Was it just a paper exercise or was there adjustments to be made to the MH? At the minute we are 3500 and would like to uprate to 3850kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
I upgraded mine Bailey 745 thru sv tech need air suspension 2no new tyres from 15 to 17 on back
Hope this helps

Upvote 0

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
Approx £1000 for tyres and air assist it cost more for air assist as its a Alko chassi on the Bailey I had mine done to carry my scooter
Sv tech £280

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pollyandarthur

Pollyandarthur

Free Member
Jan 9, 2015
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
I'm a newbie
Approx £1000 for tyres and air assist it cost more for air assist as its a Alko chassi on the Bailey I had mine done to carry my scooter
Sv tech £280
Hi thank you for sharing, carrying a scooter is one of the reasons we may want to uprate, at the moment my wife is using a wheelchair(though we hope that will improve), but in future we may need to carry a scooter.

Upvote 0

signworks

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2013
wrose bradford
Funster No
MH
swift bolero
Exp
since 2009
I got my scooter rack from armitage in ferrybridge
By the way it's not mobility scooter it's motorbike but I think armitage do mobility racks

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I checked this with SV Tech before Christmas as I planned to add a towbar and bike rack for the 2 ebikes. Since doing that I am still just under the 3500kg fully loaded for a trip but only a 1/3rd of a tank of fuel which could put me over unless I balance it by ditching some fresh water. Doing other things at the moment so not pursuing it yet.

3700kg is a paper exercise only, 3850 runs into some money.

I got a price of some £1250 from memory for the suspension at the Peterborough Show last year from AS Air Suspension at Warrington, as signworks said it's more expensive on the Al-Ko chassis plus the cost of 2 new tyres on the rear, 5 assuming you do the job properly.

I don't think I'm breaking any confidences by repeating what Gareth at SV Tech told me:

We have a couple of uprate options we can offer on your vehicle.

The first option, to uprate to 3700kg, does not require any mechanical changes and the axle weights remain unchanged at 1850kg, 2000kg.

The second uprate option is to take the gross weight to 3850kg. This uprate requires you have rear axle air assisted suspension fit.

The initial uprate to 3850kg would again leave the axle weights unchanged, however you could, with a tyre change increase the rear axle to 2240kg.
Your current tyre size being a 215/75R15 would need changing to a 225/75R15. This can be achieved on the existing rim size.

Before choosing any of the above uprate options, I would first recommend you have your motorhome weighed and check the individual axle loadings.
Once you have these figures, you will be able to see which uprate option best covers your requirement.

If choosing the second option you would need to source the air assist system and supply evidence of this having been fit. (suppliers can be provided if required).
Similarly if you wish to uprate the rear axle weight to 2240kg, you will need to supply evidence of the new tyres fit. These only need changing to the rear, but convenience of the spare wheel would be to change them all.

The cost for us to cover the uprate is £260+VAT and includes the new plate for the vehicle and the necessary paperwork to allow you to get the registration document changed.
As the gross weight will be going above 3500kg, the taxation class will change from PLG to PHGV. This change will need making at DVLA Swansea office, who will supply you with a new tax disc.
Unfortunately we cannot make the change to the logbook and deal with DVLA, as this must be carried out by the registered keeper. DVLA are taking about 5 weeks to carry out this change. So please plan the best time to make the change if travelling abroad.

You will received a full instruction sheet detailing the changes to be made on the logbook along with the necessary forms to allow you to change the tax class.

The important things to bear in mind when uprating above 3500kg are as follows:
• Going above 3500kg requires a C1 category Licence holder to drive. Drivers having passed their test prior to 1997 usually have this as standard.
• Speed limits in Europe are lower for Motorhomes over 3500kg.
• You must inform your insurance company of the uprate (previous customers have not expericenced an increase)
• The MOT class for Motorhomes/Motor Caravan is Class 4
I hope I’ve covered everything but should you have any queries in the meantime please do not hesitate to contact me.
When you are ready to proceed, please let me know which option you require and, where require, evidence of changes made.

You can initially opt for the lower 3700kg weight and at a later date gain the higher 3850kg or increased rear axle once the air assist kit and tyres are fit.
We only charge you once for the uprate, so this may allow you to spread the cost as and when you wish to gain the extras.

Edit: The only thing I would add is something I mentioned on another thread a day or two ago, the increased weight on the rear axle does lighten the traction on the front and I suspect I may have grip problems similar to my old van which had a marked difference between the two. Difficult pulling away at times, particularly hill starts in the wet. With the front axle so far forward it's not easy to shift loads to compensate.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
My van isn't a Bailey, but the uprating process depends on the base vehicle rather than the conversion in any event, although I presume that being on an Al-Ko chassis must make a difference.

For my van - a coachbuilt based on a standard chassis Ducato X244 "Maxi" which was already on 16" wheels - to go from 3500kg to 3850kg was a paper exercise only, to go to 4000kg required air assist on the rear suspension. Sv Tech were very helpful and didn't charge anything to tell me what was possible.

I went for 4000kg as I was fitting air assist anyway - it's transformed how the van handles, it's now much more stable when overtaking HGV's on the motorway and much better at cornering. For me it was worth every penny.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back