European Health Insurance Card - Query (1 Viewer)

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
Last August I ended up having 2 days in a French hospital. Whilst we were there we gave them my Passport details together with the details off my current European Health Insurance Card, when we came to leave the hospital a receptionist wanted to give us a bill, but an English speaking doctor who was present overheard the conversation and told the receptionist there wasn't any payment due, as the hospital had already got all our details.

Two weeks ago I received an invoice from the hospital in Langon, France requesting payment of €276.09.

Can anyone please tell me if I am responsible for the bill ?

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
How naughty, no you should not get a bill, France fully reciprocates our EHIC.
I would advise contacting the EHIC and explaining the situation, I don't have my card to hand, but if memory serves there is a phone number on the back that you can call.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
The UK health card covers you for some of the French treatment but not all. Even French residents often have insurance for the part of treatment not covered by the state.
It's stuff like hospital food, certain costs which you cover with travel insurance.
Does the invoice show a breakdown of what it's for and what part of the total was paid by the NHS?
Probably that's what the invoice is for.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Complicated is it not! we take a lot for granted here in the UK. You soon find how great our NHS is when things go wrong,..

That being said, I'm in favour of a means tested contributory system if it would improve the NHS here...

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi I think if you contact the number on the card they will advise you.
I think the advice will be pay the bill and then request a claim for and you will be reimbursed, but possibly not the full amount. ..
Ta andy

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
If you carry general travel insurance, then pass the problem to them.
We always have an annual multi trip policy for our MH travels and the other trips we take in the year, it seems to work for us, although thankfully never made a claim!

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
As things are at the moment it pays to have some private insurance in Europe irrespective,if you are in a situation where you need treatment especially urgent treatment, the last thing you want is the worry that yourself or a member of your family may not get it.Some hospitals will not give you the best treatment without private insurance .You have to remember health services abroad are not as generous as ours .The first thing they will ask for if you go to a hospital is your insurance policy .it does pay to have both ,Health card and private.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
The AA has insured my wife and I for 155 days at £103.and that is after telling them that I had a replacement hip in December. I am 70 and my wife is a little younger. I am insured with ADAC as well. Better to be safe.

Aug 5, 2012
Southampton
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1981 on and off
A few years ago Mrs. Gasman had to go into a hospital while we were in France I think we had to pay 10% of the cost also the full cost of the ambulance, I was marched off to the cash machine while Kathy was being booked in. The full amount was was reimbursed by the travel insurance with no problem.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
A few years ago Mrs. Gasman had to go into a hospital while we were in France I think we had to pay 10% of the cost also the full cost of the ambulance, I was marched off to the cash machine while Kathy was being booked in. The full amount was was reimbursed by the travel insurance with no problem.

Would that our doctors and hospitals treated visitors the same way and maybe our NHS would have more money to treat UK residents!

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I can see Langon Hospital from my house! was it the Hospital, or Clinic St Anne?
Without further details I can't advise, or inquire, It could be for the room, but that seems expensive.

OP
OP
FM02MZO

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
I can see Langon Hospital from my house! was it the Hospital, or Clinic St Anne?
Without further details I can't advise, or inquire, It could be for the room, but that seems expensive.
It was the hospital, The invoice reads:-
Medicine €222-09
2 Forfait Journalier €36-00
1 Forfait Journalier € 18-00

Total €276-09

I had 2 blood tests, 1 Cardiograph, Blood pressure and temperature taken several times. The food was rubbish, you were only given one warm drink a day the rest was water. I was not given any medication as I had got all of my own.
The good thing about it was that, they allowed the wife to put the motorhome in their car park and she was able to sleep in it.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I broke my arm in four places in France. Went to hospital in Dinan, had an op to insert pins, stayed there for 3 days, and used the E 111 form, now replaced by a Blue card.
My treatment was free under reciprocal EU agreements.
The only charge I got was for 30€ for wine ? My wife and mother in law had on their visits.
Make sure you have your Blue card with you.
Phil

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The good thing about it was that, they allowed the wife to put the motorhome in their car park and she was able to sleep in it.

Can you imagine that happening in a hospital here!

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
How many stories do we hear on the news about holiday makers without insurance facing big bills because they didn't take insurance?

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012

There was a thread on here recently where someone was able to park there MH at Barrow in Furness (I think) hospital while their other half was in for a few weeks.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The "Forfait Journalier" is the daily cost for laundry, food etc. I can only suggest writing to them, in English, asking why the costs cannot be covered by your EHIC card. It is possible they are hoping you have medical insurance (do you?), or it might have been a private hospital in which case the EHIC may not cover it. You don't mention how you got to the hospital, i.e. via a doctor or did you go to A&E?

My understanding of the EHIC is it only provides the same basic level of care which citizens of that country can expect. So for example, in some countries laundry and food are not covered and relatives are expected to provide these. If they don't, there is a charge.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Normally it should be covered direct to the UK, have you inquired if its been payed by the NHS (double billed), my daughter will check with her Mother-in law who works at the Pasteur (Langon Hospital); I know the food is Crap!! Our GP who was in the Maternity Ward took a photo of 'IT" and asked the nurse to describe what it was supposed to be, she couldn't!!:sicker:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
There was a thread on here recently where someone was able to park there MH at Barrow in Furness (I think) hospital while their other half was in for a few weeks.

pretty lucky I think....Like i said earlier I think we take a lot for granted at home. In Spain for instance I believe, but not sure, that you don't get any food, as the family expected to provide..maybe others can clarify. I know in spain its important to always go to a public hospital and ambulances have a tendwncy to take you to private :(

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Complicated is it not! we take a lot for granted here in the UK. You soon find how great our NHS is when things go wrong,..

That being said, I'm in favour of a means tested contributory system if it would improve the NHS here...

I think that is called tax and NI..... but I would be happy to pay a reasonable amount for, say, food plus a prescription charge equivalent for drugs. Maybe if there was money coming in the food might improve.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

North Devon District hospital, Barnstaple, no problems.

In Spain for instance I believe, but not sure, that you don't get any food, as the family expected to provide..maybe others can clarify. I know in spain its important to always go to a public hospital and ambulances have a tendwncy to take you to private :(

No food is supplied. assistance is given if there are no family members to pass the time of day & night with the patient. There is always usually one family member staying overnight with each patient & fully reclining chairs are supplied. They keep you awake with their snoring.

I think that is called tax and NI..... .

Unfortunately N.I. only exists in name only now. The days of it funding health care & pensions, which is what it was introduced for, are long gone as it just all goes in the general pot.
It is still called National insurance to make the sheep think that income tax is below 20% when if you add NI to it , which in reality it now is, it is well over 30% ! .

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Unfortunately N.I. only exists in name only now. The days of it funding health care & pensions, which is what it was introduced for, are long gone as it just all goes in the general pot.
It is still called National insurance to make the sheep think that income tax is below 20% when if you add NI to it , which in reality it now is, it is well over 30% ! .

That's why I said "tax and NI" ! :) Both depend on how much you earn - plus for tax capital gains and inheritance may have a levy charged.

NI is worked out separately and differently from NI because of the system of benefit entitlements but it would be so much better if the whole system was overhauled - simpler to understand anyway. But that's another thread for discussion! :)

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
I spent two days in a Frensh hospital last year. I had blood tests, a cat scan and an ultrasound examination. The second day I was operated on for a hernia which was repaired. My travel card covered me for 80% of the costs. The balance was paid by my Nationwide Flex Plus account travel insurance.
A pretty good dela I thought.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
When I busted my knee skiing in Austria I paid for everything such as drugs ,ambulance and A&E there . When I got back I claimed almost all of it back from the NHS . The only thing I had to pay was the Ambulance . In the end claiming from the NHS was better than claiming back from the insurance because of the exess on the policy .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back