Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Eldis Autoquest
Exp
First
Good morning all some toe rag last night broke into my car sadly I kept the motorvan keys in there but the van is kept in storage so great the two are not together. My question is do I get all the locks changed habitation, lockers and the main van key and fob. Or get a decent alrm independant of the whole lot.

I'm not even sure if I can get replacement fob new code etc

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I would get them changed. Seems unlikely to me that a thief would take the keys unless they thought they knew where to find the van.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sorry to hear that.
I should take it as a warning and move my keys.
I think I would change the locks for piece of mind.
Have a look around the street first maybe with any luck the thief has thrown them away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Depends how secure your storage is, and could you or would any one take any notice of the alarm going off..

I think alarms are only worth the money if in ear shot or on your own premisses..

Going to be expensive but key change and if not, perhaps a hidden switch some where in the ignition wire..

PS... as irnbru say`s about key`s being dumped... put some signs up near or on lamp post`s.. (Lost in the vicinity, Bunch of key`s,, if found please phone 0778540000.)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I ,personally would change all the lock barrels.and if not fitted with an independent immobilizer,then fit one.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
A long shot for lost keys - contact the previous owner - may have spare set - worked for me once
.................then fit an alarm
(y)

Reactions: JJ

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If the motorhome keys are no longer in your possession, you might need to check the terms of your motorhome insurance. There is a possibility that it is no longer covered and that you need to advise the insurers promptly.

Deleted User
If the motorhome keys are no longer in your possession, you might need to check the terms of your motorhome insurance. There is a possibility that it is no longer covered and that you need to advise the insurers promptly.
When I took out my insurance I was given a free years key cover. I had to attach the supplied numbered key fob to the bunch of keys and if the keys were lost or stolen then they would pay for replacement keys or locks up to a value of £1000. It seemed odd to me that I did not have to inform the insurance company of what keys were actually attached to the key fob.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
and if not fitted with an independent immobilizer,then fit one.
We paid around £100 for our last MH imobiliser cut out switch to be fitted. It helped save the drain on the engine battery when MH was left lying too. Was money well spent even though we parted with the MH weeks later.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If the vehicle is stolen and the thief had the keys then the insurance won't pay up. They may be waiting for you to bring it back and park it outside you house. Expensive, but changing everything is the only answer I fear.

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Lost my spare ignition key last year, cost me £220 to replace .

I also have lost my spare iignition and locker keys also the alarm fob so thats going to cost me,
I think I may have lost them at Alcoutim Aire two weeks ago, well thats the last place I remember having them, had the van inside out.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My alarm / immobiliser has a facility to require a pin code before the engine will start even if you have the keys.
I have not implemented this, but I think I might do so. Have to look out the instructions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back