scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
sadly yes..

I went out this morning as usually to open the coop and check for eggs.. in one of the nesting boxes a hen I thought was just
being broody.. but no.. stiff as a board.. :(

so quite sad.. they are only two years old..excellent layers.. and no of illness in the others ...quite sudden.. she was out and about yesterday.. any ideas ?

DSCF0215.JPG

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
sorry to hear this Jim. Maybe the others had attacked her?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Trouble with chickens is they don't show you they are ill until it's too late. It's possible she was not broody, just poorly. Bless her. It's sad, you do become quite attached to them, don't you. We have four Orpingtons ( a buff, a silver Lace, A Gold Lace and a reverse Silver Lace) finally all laying, but great characters and very friendly. Especially, when they get their evening digestive biscuits.

Sorry for your loss.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
sorry to hear this Jim. Maybe the others had attacked her?

don't think so.. they are very sociable.. never seen them fighting.. just the odd peck from the top hen.. she has the green and orange leg bands

A wasp? ...Or a snake would be the answer here.
We usually buy hens ...for the eggs yes , but as well because they eat the snakes ......if they are the quickest that is!

too early for wasps .. no snakes

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Trouble with chickens is they don't show you they are ill until it's too late. It's possible she was not broody, just poorly. Bless her. It's sad, you do become quite attached to them, don't you. We have four Orpingtons ( a buff, a silver Lace, A Gold Lace and a reverse Silver Lace) finally all laying, but great characters and very friendly. Especially, when they get their evening digestive biscuits.

Sorry for your loss.

thanks.. yes you do get attached.. they run to greet me .. and jump up and try to peck my hands to see if I have a tasty bit for them.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I understand how you feel Jim and without knowing what it died of it's probably just as well to give it a funeral (y)
I've always liked chickens I could watch them all day.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
If the photo was taken recently they all look in excellent order, so yes it might have been a soft shelled or maybe extra large egg got stuck. It can happen if the weather suddenly turns cold (amongst other reasons) Hybrid hens are bred to live and lay lots for a couple of seasons, so they can keel over unexpectedly, though often they go on for years.

If the combs are not looking nice and red (as in the photo) its usually a sign that something is amiss. If any of the others are looking pale then check them for lice and readmite, also check their droppings look normal in case they need worming, though thats unlikely with only a few birds on clean ground.

Sorry you lost one :(

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
You have rats and snakes. Why hasn't your Prince in dull black armour come to your rescue ?

Exactly! I've been aware of the snakes being around since I was a child. My parents used to make us wear wellies when going to the country side, especially on a sunny and warm day!

Mind you they're not only found in the country side... Max's very private mechanic found a dead one right behind my battery.... probably looking for a bit of shade.... got a shake instead!;)

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We lost one of our`s just after they started laying...

Turned out an egg had broke inside her..

Fatal..:(

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We lost one of our`s just after they started laying...

Turned out an egg had broke inside her.. :(
What were you doing to it, Mo?? :sneaky:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
sadly yes..

I went out this morning as usually to open the coop and check for eggs.. in one of the nesting boxes a hen I thought was just
being broody.. but no.. stiff as a board.. :(

so quite sad.. they are only two years old..excellent layers.. and no of illness in the others ...quite sudden.. she was out and about yesterday.. any ideas ?

View attachment 56952
We lost one of our hens last month - suddenly and unexpectedly like yours.
It's sad when you lose then but at least you give them a good quality of life so it's a reasonable trade

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If you got any fruit trees or bushes bury it under or as near as you can, makes excellent Fertilizer

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I went a bit mad on chickens , I had about 90 chickens and ducks at one time , I was giving eggs away by the sack full.
The only way that you can find is she is egg bound is to perform an autopsy .

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I was giving eggs away by the sack full.

I can imagine.. :LOL:

even with six you need to sell or giveaway a doz or so a week..

It is lovely having fresh eggs.. can't get fresher or tastier.. but it's no cheaper than buying local free range eggs @ £2 a doz.
now we are planning a lot more trips away it will be better if we didn't need a hen watcher.. so when they go.. they go.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I can imagine.. :LOL:

even with six you need to sell or giveaway a doz or so a week..

It is lovely having fresh eggs.. can't get fresher or tastier.. but it's no cheaper than buying local free range eggs @ £2 a doz.
now we are planning a lot more trips away it will be better if we didn't need a hen watcher.. so when they go.. they go.
you hit the nail on the head Jim , poultry and animals are a real tie , ive had horses , goats , chickens,ducks, dogs and cats , we are now down to three dogs .

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Of late we have had a few "Layed" soft shell`s...

Think they are well fed and feel they should lay each day.... but in theory they should and need a few weeks off..

We got some one who buy`s our egg`s.... going to take them off our hands.. (y)

Wont bother to get any more till we pack up M,homing.. :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back