Rubber Roofing (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2008
based in North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 650
Exp
11yrs
Been washing the roof of my Damon Daybreak and notice the rubber roofing seems to be lifting in parts. Had a new section on the back before we got it by the looks of it. Anyone know where I can find a specalist to deal with it or how to fix it myself.:RollEyes:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Linda C is a member on here, she should be able to help with the glue and others on here will no doubt chip in with some free advice.

Peter

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
There are posts on here ( and one from myself ) about looking after your roof, did mine last year and will try to make it a yearly thing to do !!!. How old is your RV and how bad is it. You would be amazed how easy it is to clean it and repaint it with the rubber paint, it ends up looking like new . Mine had not been done before and when I did it last year it was 10 yrs old and came up like new. If it is not leaking then I am sure you could do the same.

Clean the roof with the proper stuff and paint in same manner. Linda from Stateside gave me all the stuff to do it ......... :Smile: thanks again Linda where would we be without you .

Lampie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
I agree with the other funsters, ring Linda, she will see you right.

Jim :Smile:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Been washing the roof of my Damon Daybreak and notice the rubber roofing seems to be lifting in parts. Had a new section on the back before we got it by the looks of it. Anyone know where I can find a specalist to deal with it or how to fix it myself.:RollEyes:

Dont worry too much about the rubber lifting from the ply. It's not that big a deal, so long as the rubber is intact and leak proof. You could inject the correct adhesive through the rubber but I really wouldn't bother unless you're talking of a huge area. You could end up doing more harm than good..
So long as it's sealed, keep it clean .........and relax.::bigsmile:

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
For cheap cleaning, use Dettols Mould & Mildrew remover. 2 bottles (1.99 a bottle from your local s'market) does a 32ft roof.

Papa

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
hi all i have a small area on my rubber roof that has lifted of the ply about 8"x8" it does not leak and i have painted my roof regally,when i press on it there is a crunching sound like dry leaves my concern is if it gets brittle will it crack? Zaskar says leave it
dave

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
If it's the same as mine Dave ( and NOT an ally roof Jim....):ROFLMAO: then it's made up of a top layer of Ply with approx 1" of some high density foam "sandwich" with another Ply sheet underneath.

If it's watertight I'd personally leave it alone and carry on painting at intervals.

To cut out and repair might prove expensive and introduce more joins in the epdm membrane.

It sounds like there have been problems with water ingress in the past there but it's dry now.Maybe a small part has become delaminated.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Dave..

reluctantly.. I would have to agree with Steve.. :Doh: :roflmto::roflmto:

Leave well alone, .. if it works... don't 'fix' it :thumb: but if it's 'ally' .... paint it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
When I repared my damaged roof I sealed it with a rubber compound brushed on.

The chemical reaction between the two surfaces made the rubber roof lift a bit.

The sound that you are hearing may be air trapped between the rubber roof and the roof proper.

It could be the sound that rubber naturaly makes when its pressed and pushed.
What alternative do you have apart from leaving it alone.

You dont want to be cutting it away to determine whether there's a problem.

Just keep an eye on it.

Jim :Smile:

COYB​

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back