Flash (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
From the title of the thread I'm assuming the question is about lighting?

What's the event and what do they want in terms of pictures?

For example if it's a black tie do and they just want pictures of people as they enter then a backdrop and a couple of studio strobes is pretty much fool proof.

It really depends on the location, the event and the brief.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
You've gone overboard in the information provided I see!

What camera have you got
How much are you prepared to spend
What is the subject matter
How far away is the subject matter as that will determine the power required in terms of guide numbers
Indoors or outdoors
daytime or nighttime

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
One of the major issues will be the adequacy of the power supply for the flash unit. They take longer to recharge as battery power reduces so you need something that will take readily available and cheap batteries.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Ooops...

A couple of events, one a black tie dinner, 100 people or so and the second event, possibly 300 plus, a weekend job..

Using a Canon EOS 400D & Canon EOS 550D with a 18-200 lens. Never done much flash or formal work, tend to do landscape.

All photographs will be indoors, all of the above numbers are assumptions as the details are not very concrete,

Cost,- who knows, as reasonable as possible, I don't think I will use it a lot afterwards.

Ta

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Basically a nightmare... avoid if you can.

Assuming you can't
1. No direct Flash, bounce the light.
2. Use a compact for "candid" shots.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hunt out those who are drunk on charity booze or in compromising situations with younger revelers. Get yourself a scoop and the quality of the shot will be irrelevant. (y)

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I do 'high end' event photography and I couldn't do it without my Speedlights and Quantum power pack.

Why did they ask you to do it?

KH

And why are you even considering accepting :D These were what I called 'short straw' jobs.The Independent TV company I worked for would put on events like cocktail parties in House of Commons.The press office would want coverage of these events and the News dept would want head and shoulders of all MP's and dignitaries. It was hard slog.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
t was hard slog.
How true. I have a really good photographer who works for me on large events and between us we have developed our own techniques for producing other than boring 'back of the head' shots. It is hard work and often late into the night and our clients demand a very high standard of work.

I suspect that ShiftZZ was asked because he will do the work for free as it is a 'charity' event.

Slightly straying off topic, if you go onto any photographic forum you will often see the question: "My friends have asked me to photograph their wedding - any tips please?"

My reply in the above case would be, if you have to ask that question then you shouldn't be doing the job.

It is a bit like asking a mate to build you a motor home because he/she has a new tool box.

You may have guessed this is a bit of a sore subject with me! So my answer to the original question is: don't do it, tell them to employ a professional photographer! :)

KH

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Some background...

A good friend, asked me to take some pictures of the charity handing over a wheelchair to a disabled lady in Hinckley, she had volunteered me! Anyhow, later on, she suggested that I may wish to be the official photographer for the 'big event' next year and the 'Gala' (black tie) event this year.

What I may do is try and back out, I cant really justify the cost of the flash and power pack, just for two jobs, rather spend it on a new lens.

Operation backout in progress,,

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think you should back out as gracefully as you can. Taking good publicity photos of large formal events is very different to the wonderful photos you have already done.

Big formal events you would probably want a backdrop, flash reflector and get the attendees to pose for you on their way in ...... unless you already have the kit not worth the hassle IMO.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
If you don't bounce the flash you are going to get lots of redeye requiring lots of software editing.

However the dinner for 100 has potential for shots around the tables once the evening is under way and perhaps the diners would be more amenable to having their photo taken. Maybe even a chance for the charity to sell the pics for further fund raising after the event. It will certainly be hard work and you would need to be organised as to how to publish mini photos on a website such that they could not be downloaded for free if the charity wants to try and sell them.

However a decent flashgun and battery pack is expensive and if you don't want to shell out for that then back out.

I have been an enthusiastic amateur for years and bought and read up on anything I wanted to do. I've done a couple of weddings for mates but it was pre-digital cameras and used a couple of Bronica medium format cameras, multiple lenses and film backs and a Metz flashgun and a Canon T90 for candids and had an assistant to help me. It was a case of we DON'T want wedding photos, can't afford wedding photos or don't want a pro photographer pushing us and our guests around for an hour or so and I convinced them that they would regret it and did them both for cost price. The were both delighted with the results and were most appreciative.

Not really any different to DIY on your motorhome but as has been said if you have to ask what to do then don't do it!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As so many have said or intimated, it's a poisoned chalice. Expectations are high, people resent being 'marshalled' and you have only one chance to get it right. Don't underestimate the amount of post-production work either (Photoshop or Lightroom) to ensure you supply a balanced set of images (contrast, brightness, good shadow detail, natural skin tones etc.)
Back in the days of film I considered trying to do wedding photography but realised I was not up to it. I could take a decent graphic shot and the occasional half-decent landscape, where the result depended on my composition and technical ability. Regardless of your photographic skill, the real problem with events is people management so you get the subjects to pose without looking posed whilst still enjoying themselves. My experience of trying to get candids is that most people spot you from yards away once you point the lens in their direction and avoiding this results in lots of backs of heads.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you don't bounce the flash you are going to get lots of redeye requiring lots of software editin

Shouldn't happen with a decent digital camera and a decent flash but if it does it's about 10 seconds per image to get rid of in Photoshop

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
In the film and TV industry it is well known that the last thing the director wants see on his set is a Stills Photgrapher-the first things he wants to see when he gets back to his office are the Stills.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If it's a black tie event it's pretty easy. We have someone who always does our rugby club ball. He's a full time photographer and connected with the club so he's set up for it and doesn't charge us.

All he does is set up a backdrop and a couple of studio strobes outside the main room and anyone who wants their picture taken can, anyone who doesn't want to doesn't have to. He usually has someone with him, has the camera cable connected to a laptop and has a printer there so if you like your photo and want a proper print you can buy one instantly. The most expensive bit of kit he has there is the dye sub printer which is only necessary if you want to be able to offer prints on the night. Don't try and do it with an inkjet printer. No post prod, no editing, take it or leave it. As long as you are familiar with your camera it's simple.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would suggest you look at the photos from last years bash if they aren't great and they know you are not a pro they probably want to save as much as possible (it is a charity and I'm a big believer in them spending money on what it's been raised for not on admin) give it a go. If you are then keen and they don't expect a professional job why not but if you get cold feet give them a small donation and discover a prior engagement!!.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
"Hey you! yeh You wiv the pooffee bow tie! wanna git yer pic-hic- ture took! Giday darl! undo a couple more of they top buttons sweetmeat! Lean over darl YEH! YEEESSS! LOOOKIN' GOOD Babe "

They will never ask you back again David!

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Okay its a charity event so maybe they expect you to do a freebie? good flashguns aint cheap if you aint got them so large groups are out unless you can get away with small group shots using your camero flip-up flash. Been there done that....say no.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back