Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
there we were last week in cornwall at one of our favourite spots 20 foot from the beach with views straight on to it 10pm all silent except the noise of the sea , yes it was on a private car park with parking ticket paid for and owner accepts motorhomes stay overnight so perfectly legal .
a car pulls up next to us with very loud music and obviously trying to make a pain of themselves , after 10 minutes i went out to see what the problem was as my son was asleep , i met a very rude lady who started asking why i was staying there and telling me she was going to inform the council and police about motorhomes staying illegally in a car park , after calming her down it turns out she runs a campsite and is struggling for buisness and is miffed that motorhomes enjoy the fredom to pick their own views and do not have to be restricted to using only sites miles from anywhere that were mostly waterlogged last year , she also whined that motorhomes only wanted to pull up for 1 night stays to get water and electric and then go, hopefully i have cleared a few of her questions for her but do not think i would want to stay on her site.:ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Some business owners are so short sighted, if she had approached you with a smile and a business card, you may well have looked in on her site.

The up-side to a recession is that its good for getting rid of dross businesses, I'm sure with her attitude she will never prosper.

EDIT: I just noticed that was your first post - Welcome to Motorhome Fun:thumb:

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
there we were last week in cornwall at one of our favourite spots 20 foot from the beach with views straight on to it 10pm all silent except the noise of the sea , yes it was on a private car park with parking ticket paid for and owner accepts motorhomes stay overnight so perfectly legal .
a car pulls up next to us with very loud music and obviously trying to make a pain of themselves , after 10 minutes i went out to see what the problem was as my son was asleep , i met a very rude lady who started asking why i was staying there and telling me she was going to inform the council and police about motorhomes staying illegally in a car park , after calming her down it turns out she runs a campsite and is struggling for buisness and is miffed that motorhomes enjoy the fredom to pick their own views and do not have to be restricted to using only sites miles from anywhere that were mostly waterlogged last year , she also whined that motorhomes only wanted to pull up for 1 night stays to get water and electric and then go, hopefully i have cleared a few of her questions for her but do not think i would want to stay on her site.:ROFLMAO:

hi can u tell me where this car park::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Don't suppose you got the name of her site did you :RollEyes:
Parking overnight in a private car park , with the owners consent, i don't think she'd get any joy having a moan to her local council.... the words ... miserable , noisey, jealous, spring to mind.. :thumb:

oops can I have the car park details too please...

pete.

Last edited:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp

IMO many private and club sites have failed to grasp the concept of motorhoming and just think that all you need is a few pitches, water, electric, and a toilet block, to bring in the punters. It matters not that the motorhomer only stays one night if there is a regular turnover of visitors. The problem is, that in the season these places fill up with tuggers and are empty out of season when many motorhomers come into their own.
If more owners had dedicated and reasonably priced motorhome pitches and were known to be motorhome friendly, they would see their turn over increase.
Annoying motorhomers doesn't seem to me to be a useful or a positive marketing ploy.

Pete:Cool:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
We have only ever been in 2 camp sites, one was Crystal Palace, London and the other Formby and they were the same. The want to give you as little as possible and charge you as much as possible (Rippoffs) and you get a mouthfull if you complain.

That is why we wild camp 100% and 100% out of the UK.

Doug..

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

Not perfectly legal unless the car park owner has planning permission to allow use for a camp site, which it wont be unless it meets certain requirements or is a CL which it won't be

Short sighted on behalf of the campsite owner? probably (if indeed she is the campsite owner?)

Should have just made a load of noise spolit your night, got hald a dozen blokes to have rocked your van, and thrown stones from the beach at it and buggered off :roflmto:

On a serious note, beware parking too close to a beach! I know of several cases where people have park right on the beach at Pentewan Sands, only to wake up in the mornng with a sand blasted van, opaque windscreen and headlights, and no surface coat left on the paint and very matt plastic bumpers:Eeek:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi eddie isn't their some european directive to the effect that as long as you don't unwind an awning or set your chairs out you are parking not camping?

Olley

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Not perfectly legal unless the car park owner has planning permission to allow use for a camp site, which it wont be unless it meets certain requirements or is a CL which it won't be

Short sighted on behalf of the campsite owner? probably (if indeed she is the campsite owner?)

Should have just made a load of noise spolit your night, got hald a dozen blokes to have rocked your van, and thrown stones from the beach at it and buggered off :roflmto:

On a serious note, beware parking too close to a beach! I know of several cases where people have park right on the beach at Pentewan Sands, only to wake up in the mornng with a sand blasted van, opaque windscreen and headlights, and no surface coat left on the paint and very matt plastic bumpers:Eeek:
The legality of sleeping in a parked vehicle rather than camping is a difficult area, Lorry drivers are pemitted to do so anywhere. Lorry = HGV, my motorhome is registered as a PHGV ergo I am a lorry driver and permitted to sleep in my vehicle. A camp site licence is required if more than THREE CAMPING vehicles at a time. But if the site exceeds 5 acres then the 28 day rule could apply.

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We have only ever been in 2 camp sites, one was Crystal Palace, London and the other Formby and they were the same. The want to give you as little as possible and charge you as much as possible (Rippoffs) and you get a mouthfull if you complain.

That is why we wild camp 100% and 100% out of the UK.

Doug..

A fair a well balanced view Doug! Well done! Two visits to decide that the hundreds of thousands of other campers are wrong! and thousands of campsites owners are rippoff merchants!

I am sure that the Europeans that read this site will be delighted that you stay for free in their countries 100% of the time, a great advert for us all.

Olley, it is nothing to do with chairs and awnings. There are all sorts of hurdles to jump through with enviromental issues, numbers of toilets per person safety requirements all sorts! Even change of use:RollEyes: We wanted to put some additional gravel paths down and had to apply for change of use from "orchard" to pathways" I thought that the bloke was joking until I realised he was serious!:Doh:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you want a decent well run site, go camp at Eddies in Taunton Somerset, he has even got under floor heating in the showers so your feet dont get cold.:Eeek: (The waters HOT as well!)

Peter

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
The up-side to a recession is that its good for getting rid of dross businesses, I'm sure with her attitude she will never prosper.

That is so true, there is a saying in business 'The customer is always right' we all know that the customer is not always right but you must make the buying experience a pleasurable one, then they will come back again and again.

Sounds like with this women they won't even go there in the first place ::bigsmile:

Welcome to the forum Robin

jean and robert

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
West yorkshire/France
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
27 years
A fair a well balanced view Doug! Well done! Two visits to decide that the hundreds of thousands of other campers are wrong! and thousands of campsites owners are rippoff merchants!

I am sure that the Europeans that read this site will be delighted that you stay for free in their countries 100% of the time, a great advert for us all.

Olley, it is nothing to do with chairs and awnings. There are all sorts of hurdles to jump through with enviromental issues, numbers of toilets per person safety requirements all sorts! Even change of use:RollEyes: We wanted to put some additional gravel paths down and had to apply for change of use from "orchard" to pathways" I thought that the bloke was joking until I realised he was serious!:Doh:
Hi eddie,
Think that infact the many towns and villages in Europe, particularly France, that provide parking and services for motorhomes, often free, will be delighted. The aires that these places provide mean that the motorhomers who stay spend money in the town in local shops, resturants, bars etc. If spending money on sites then less to spend for benefit of local community. We are pleased to say we use the aires in France all the time and not just for cost reasons. We enjoy the freedom, no nonsense with advance booking, not stuck out in middle of nowhere and no difficult owners and wardens to deal with. So with Doug on this one, and in past have stayed on sites all over Europe, and UK, but no more!
Robert and Jean

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi Jean and Robert, you misunderstand me. I loves Aires and have used the same arguement in the past. I was simply stating, that to say that "you have been to two sites and that sites are ripp off merchants is stupid and wrong.

There are big troubles ahead for free camping given the abuse and over use by some motorhome users. A link on MHF tells of massive fines being levied in the Algarve Link Removed :Blush:
I live in the Algarve and see allsorts of nationalities parked up in any unfenced piece of land or car park and then proceed to use it as their own, sometimes for weeks on end. Wild campers are getting the reputation down here of really just being glorified gypsies. I can see the situation of true “Wild Camping” in the middle of nowhere, and I have done it myself in the wilderness in America, but turning wasteland and car parks into shantytowns is just not nice for the area. Just before Christmas the GNR (Police) were handing out 300-euro fines to deter these people and as Portugal is really strapped for finance at the moment I can only see this situation continuing. The argument that these people bring a fortune to the area is also wrong. The camping community is renown for being frugal, and after all I should know, I am one

The guy poo poo's the ecomonic arguement and should know as he is there. Is this really the reputation the MAJORITY of us want?

Aires and the like are great, but if a tad more consideration is not shown it will be banned completly and that is bad for all of us, the majority of whom take a reasonable balance split between sites, Aires, municiple and wild camping.

Long live free camping in the right place. The OP thread was about a night that he had paid to stay some where and got bothered so nothing to do really about wild camping:thumb:

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
That is so true, there is a saying in business 'The customer is always right' we all know that the customer is not always right but you must make the buying experience a pleasurable one, then they will come back again and again.

Sounds like with this women they won't even go there in the first place ::bigsmile:

Welcome to the forum Robin
In addition the customer may not always be right,but they are still your customer.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
It matters not that the motorhomer only stays one night if there is a regular turnover of visitors.

Pete:Cool:

Not true from the site owners point of view as the paperwork (whatever) is the same for someone who stays just one day or 21 days.

Also site owners with sceptic tanks and those who pay heavily for their water are fed up to the teeth with motorhomers who stay for just one night, dump 70 or so litres of waste and the fill up with 100 litres of water.

One nighter motorhomers often cost far more than a tugger and not far less than as is often quoted here.

It's strange how those who camp free expect everyone to provide them with services that are free.

If you want to occasionally spend one night on a site filling and emptying everything than why should you not pay the going rate.

Rather than you being ripped off by the campsites it is you that are ripping off the site owners.

Come on you can't free load everywhere.

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
There are many of us on here that wild camp and there are more I would think that don't. I for one have just spent hundreds of pounds on batteries and charger to suit to allow me to park up somewhere, not I might add for free but maybe in a field with no services, ( I am not a wild camper but would consider it).

At the end of the day the customer is right and some camp sites could and I think will learn that lesson. If you charge too much and don't give a service then don't be supprised no one whats to stay. I don't mind paying out for good sites thats fine and my choice, what I don't like is paying out a high pitch fee for poor service and there are plenty out there that charge you that. As an RV owner I have had it a few times where I have been told that I will have to pay more. WHY ???????. I fit on the pitch the same as the next caravan, what I don't do is put up an awning increasing my floor area and then heat that area by an electric heater that I leave on all day !!!!!.

This year I think more of us will stay on these shores given the euro and cost of fuel, I for one am planning on doing that, I just hope that the good people of the areas I wish to visit appreciate the income that is being brought into their area by us motorhomers. We are not out for a cheap life / holiday only a fair one.

Regards

Lampie

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
I think that the point was made earlier but I will reiterate that sites that are poorly run with a poor service will suffer long term. However, as Wardens we at Cornish Farm offer a pitch in pleasant surroundings with electricity and fantastic washroom facillities where no expense has been spared to give customers everything they want. We are very friendly and courteous, will do anything to help our customers and will bend over backwards to accomodate everyone.
Those that have visited us will testify that this site is of very high quality and of course, running the site to a high standard costs money.
The statement of sites being a rip off is unfounded if you have only stayed on two and drawn a finite conclusion.
We have been to various sites, UK and Europe, some of which have been poor quality and offer nothing more that what you might find in a lay-by and some that have been absolutely brilliant and offer high quality amenities and great service. The trick is to shop around, ask others and read reviews.
Some people will wild camp because that is what they prefer, others will mix wild camping with sites and car parks and some will just frequent sites. What matters is that everyone has the freedom to choose, so if you choose poorly you can't complain!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Hi eddie,
Think that infact the many towns and villages in Europe, particularly France, that provide parking and services for motorhomes, often free, will be delighted. The aires that these places provide mean that the motorhomers who stay spend money in the town in local shops, resturants, bars etc. If spending money on sites then less to spend for benefit of local community. We are pleased to say we use the aires in France all the time and not just for cost reasons. We enjoy the freedom, no nonsense with advance booking, not stuck out in middle of nowhere and no difficult owners and wardens to deal with. So with Doug on this one, and in past have stayed on sites all over Europe, and UK, but no more!
Robert and Jean

Are site owners not part of the local community, then?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Come on you can't free load everywhere.

As someone who never has used a site I resent the term freeloaders. I pay water rates, at the highest rate in the country (to cover the many tourist to the area we are told), same for sewerage, maybe I should get a discount for the nights I spend away in cheaper areas. Water rates Sewage charges, fuel duty, double road fund licence double insurance, double MOT. Yes I certainly resent being called a freeloader. I choose not to use a site, I prefer to spend the money visiting attractions in an area. I prefer to camp away from other people, I will continue to uphold my right to be able to do so even if it means sleeping in the awning, you can sleep in a tent anywhere, so do I now need permission to sit and watch TV, cook my dinner or whatever. Wake up I have no intention of paying anyone for the right to live.
The poor attendance at any site is no reason for site owners to be come anti social towards those, that they think should be staying on their Site. They have no right to demand we stay there or anywhere. Who were they, name and shame please. Maybe we should have a meet at the carpark.

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp

Well only a optimist lets a dog bite him once and a fool more that twice, there is no third time with me!!! why pay more for a camp site than it costs for a bed and breakfast?

Well you are quite right all of my European friends are delighted that I stay for free, and do you know what? they keep on asking me to return.

Doug

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
why pay more for a camp site than it costs for a bed and breakfast?

How much do you pay for B&B:Eeek: Is it more than ÂŁ13

Well you are quite right all of my European friends are delighted that I stay for free, and do you know what? they keep on asking me to return.

I agree with them!

Eddie

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
And again the question is fairly asked - where do you dump your waste..or get fresh water..all for free? Presumably from your friends - so you freeload on them?

Just take a few minutes to work out what it would cost you to set up a decent campsite facility. Have you any idea? Ask Eddie or us for information on this and you'll be amazed.

Bob

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
And again the question is fairly asked - where do you dump your waste..or get fresh water..all for free? Presumably from your friends - so you freeload of them

Well it seems to me that you have never done it otherwise you would know that what you are suggesting about toilets and water simply is not true.

Doug...

Last edited:
M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Hi Doug,

I think you'll find that Parc Verger and Vanbitz/Cornish Farm offer two of the most high quality and respected sites for very reasonable prices. Ask anyone that has visited them, never heard a bad word about either of them and their combined experience is immense. The idea that they've not tried something or don't qualify to respond with their very reasonable statements is simply wrong. As I said before, try the good sites and you'll see. I've stayed at both as a paying guest and would recommend them to anyone.
I'm sure that there are many poor sites and site owners/wardens out there but there are also many really good ones that offer great service and facillities and are well worth the money.
In the case of Parc Verger, we stayed one night while passing through wild camping for the most part and stayed 2 weeks. The warmest welcome you could imagine and the nicest hosts of any site, so much so that we as wardens aspire to their standards.

Mark.

F

fjmike

Deleted User
why pay more for a camp site than it costs for a bed and breakfast?

How much do you pay for B&B:Eeek: Is it more than ÂŁ13

Eddie

Having stopped at Cornish Farm this weekend (thanks for the extremely warm welcome Mark) it still beats me how Eddie can provide such a cracking site at a reasonable price and yet many of the Club (both) sites are nowhere near the quality of Cornish Farm and yet they charge loads more AND membership as well. I did only stay for one night but that was because we were on the way to Cornwall, will be back soon for a longer stay

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Without this turning into a mutual admiration society, we saw the Van Bitz site from before it was ever developed, and watched the construction though our various visits there. We use the same electricity/water pillars they do (on their recommendation), and seek to provide the same quality of service that they do, although each site is different.

It is a fact that you get what you pay for, but if motorhomers do not like something, whether site or neighbours, the beauty of our life is that we can move on; if we like it we can stay on.

What a great life!

Bob

OP
OP
robinmclaren

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
sorry

after seeing some of the replys i dont want to publish the name of the car park as we are already planning several more stays this year and dont want to destroy this for ourselves as only a few motorhomes use it at present , in july we were the only ones there at night ( bliss )

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Talk about selfish! There's only 5682 of us, we won't all turn up on the same weekend, we'll spread it out over two at least::bigsmile:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Hi Doug,

I think you'll find that Parc Verger and Vanbitz/Cornish Farm offer two of the most high quality and respected sites for very reasonable prices. Ask anyone that has visited them, never heard a bad word about either of them and their combined experience is immense. The idea that they've not tried something or don't qualify to respond with their very reasonable statements is simply wrong. As I said before, try the good sites and you'll see. I've stayed at both as a paying guest and would recommend them to anyone.
I'm sure that there are many poor sites and site owners/wardens out there but there are also many really good ones that offer great service and facillities and are well worth the money.
In the case of Parc Verger, we stayed one night while passing through wild camping for the most part and stayed 2 weeks. The warmest welcome you could imagine and the nicest hosts of any site, so much so that we as wardens aspire to their standards.

Mark.

Hi Mark, Many thanks for your input, I am sure that what you say is true, just as true as the examples that I gave,

It is also true that you can not judge all things by a small sample, however we all make our own judgements by our own findings, maybe if I had have gone to Cornish sites first I may have come to a different conclusion, but then I am not a site person. I like to do my own thing and not have other making rules for me.

Not using camp sites is one of the reasons that I spend most of my time out of the UK, I would rather do as I am doing now, soaking up the sunshine, wildcamping on Tenerife thousands of miles away from cold, wet, windy and problematic UK.

Doug

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back