Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi i am thinking of getting a towcar in couple of months I have seen one on ebay a C3 automatic I was always told you cannot tow a auto, bit confused.Does anyone else tow one ?

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
Very few automatics are suitable for towing due to requiring the engine running to provide lubrication around the transmission. Some older cars had suitable trans but I'm fairly certain nothing made within the last 30 or 40 years.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi, ours is an 'automatic' Peugeot 107.
Ok not an automatic in the sense of the word (with torque converter et al), but an automatic all the same. Put in E go forward and into R, go backwards and we take it just about everywhere on our 'A' tow bar - seen loads of them. Ensure this type of automatic is in N, steering lock off and away to go.

Regards,

Trikeman. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bilbat

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2014
Hi. I had a C3 diesel auto that I wanted to tow behind my motorhome. I was advised by Citroen technicians not to do this as the ignition has to be turned in order to disconnect the steering lock and when you do this it wakes up the ECU which apparently can do funny things on its own. I changed the car not really for this reason but the fact the way the auto works, I felt, was dangerous. Nothing like putting your foot down entering an island and nothing happening. If you're looking at a similar C3, please test drive it first and make sure it suits your style of driving.
Regards
Bilbat

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Torque converter (true auto)....not towable
automated clutch......towable.

Torque converter is a fuid filled 'clutch' and an automatedclutch is a mechanical clutch and gearbox which is electrically operated.

OP
OP
musson

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi thanks for your replies think I will leave it and stick with manual transmission.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Most 'small car' autos are robotic manual. The descriptions given by manufacturers are confusing and what we all knew and understood as an automatic gearbox now comes in two common (and a third less so) versions:

Robotic manual - not a good description but it comprises a normal clutch and manual gearbox that is converted to operate electrically and is controlled by an ECU. There's no clutch pedal and gear selection can be fully automatic or individual gears can be selected manually. Flappy paddles on the steering wheel are often included or optional. It's used on many smaller cars that would lose too much power through a 'conventional' automatic. Can be towed safely. Smart car (I have one!) is one example.

Conventional automatic - comprising a torque convertor that replaces the clutch and a hydraulically-operated but electronically controlled gearbox. Can include manual gear selection. Can have flappy paddles. It's what, up to a few years ago, was the only type of automatic available. Cannot be towed far or fast - recovery tow only.

CVT - continually variable transmission. In its simplest form used in early DAF ("belt-drive") cars. Still used in updated form. Doubtful you'll come across it and probably can't be towed.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
CVT - continually variable transmission. In its simplest form used in early DAF ("belt-drive") cars. Still used in updated form. Doubtful you'll come across it and probably can't be towed.
I beg to differ, this is the transmission used in a large number of smaller vehicles (larger ones too), the Honda Jazz leaps to mind, also the Audi A4, Toyota Prius and Honda Insight all use a CVT box. They are now dual cone transmission to give the variable ratio's but I would imagine you still can't tow them with the drive wheels on the road.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I beg to differ, this is the transmission used in a large number of smaller vehicles (larger ones too), the Honda Jazz leaps to mind, also the Audi A4, Toyota Prius and Honda Insight all use a CVT box. They are now dual cone transmission to give the variable ratio's but I would imagine you still can't tow them with the drive wheels on the road.
I'm happy to be corrected:). Most of my experience is with older cars (or 'classics' as I prefer to call them) but my main interest in cars of any sort is in the engineering employed. So whilst I understand how they work I'm not over-familiar with individual makes/models. I'm pretty sure you're correct about not being able to tow modern CVT-equipped cars.

OP
OP
musson

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Thanks
A friend of mine has a 508 and i think it is a manual with a change kit (factory fitted) as above, it keeps the emission down on company car tax.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
There are some cars which can be towed. We towed a Smart behind the R-V. So long as you Don`t forget to make SURE it`s in NEUTRAL!!!!. They are a dream. There where several in Spain, (before the Plod got ratty about it!!!!) I am told that the Citroen C1 can be towed. The smallest Peugeot (107) too. There are versions of the Corsa which can be towed as well. I have in my possession a letter from Toyota UK ref; the Yaris, which says it can be towed (no technical reason why not) although they, as manufacturers, don't recommend it, and the Aygo also.

Many Auto 4WD vehicles can be towed, so long as they drive through a Transfer box which can be manually place into neutral. Which is why you will see so many Jeeps, Pick-up Trucks Etc. behind R-V`s on US Roads. We towed a Chevy (Auto) Behind the Winnebago (above) but sold it last year before we left. IF I get back, For one more "fling" Health insurance Permitting!!!! I am on the lookout for a 4WD Suzuki Samurai or Vitara. So I can do a little "off-roading" in the dessert.!!!

Pete

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back