My Nuvi has fallen out with me... (1 Viewer)

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I am currently using my wife's Garmin Nuvi 255W in the MH. It is about 6/7 years old (the Nuvi, not the MH) with a small screen but it does the job... well it DID that is.

I was contemplating an update of the maps which for 'lifetime' is about £100.00. I checked on the Garmin website as to what 'lifetime' means and it seems that it refers to the time that Garmin support the unit (I was naively thinking that it would be for my lifetime). So with a unit as 'old' as our Nuvi its lifetime could run out at any time (so could mine I suppose).

I then saw that I could get one of the Chinese Sat Navs for about the price of the new maps for the Nuvi. So that made me think that I may as well get a new Chinese Sat Nav rather than pay for new maps for an 'old' unit.

Whilst I have been contemplating this perplexing purchasing dilemma the Nuvi seems to have had a bit of a tantrum and has stopped speaking to me! It is still directing me as it should but it no longer has the audio directions.

I have ensured that I do not have 'mute' checked, I have the volume set at 100%, I have tried a different voice (language) and I have even done a full reset, but all to no avail, she will not speak to me anymore! :sick:

I have even apologised and promised the Nuvi that I will not replace it, I have said sorry and pretty please but it still ignores me. This is a bit much really as having upset 'The Boss' I go through the aforementioned and eventually she speaks to me again so I thought it should work for the Nuvi.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to anything else I could try to coax the Nuvi back to speaking to me again? Or, do I give up and go for a cheapo Chinese model?

You comments and assistance will be much appreciated.

KH

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I see you refer to the Nuvi as "Her", so that confirms my suspicions, once you upset these females they give you the cold shoulder and there's no turning back, may as well cut your losses and kick her into touch.:whistle:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My 2547 Garmin nuvi cost under £100 and came with recent software, works real nice, life time mapping as well, supports 3 rd party POI not alldo so be careful! had it a year now, took a bit of getting used to but fine with it now. Still have my 770 nuvi as that has american mapping as well

Getting back to yours, it may be salvageable, just do a back up and factory reset, go on Garmin forum section on pocket gps forum, some real knowledgable people on there who can talk you through it if not techy :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My old TT One XL was on it's last legs .. 8 years old, battery goosed and maps from the Roman times.. but it was going to cost more to update the maps and fit a new battery than it was worth..

Was going to replace with another TT till I discovered the new TTs won't accept 1/3 party POIS . ..

Just bought a new Garmin Nuvi .. 2599LMT-D, with free Lifetime maps and traffic updates
Broken Link Removed

get £10 off by click and collect. makes it £140

Glad I changed, much prefer it to the TT. plus it works with a phone app,.. find a location on your browser and it will send the co ords to the sat nav for routing there..it's also hands free phone .. and it's easy to add 1/3 party pois.. via the Garmin POI loader.. but you can also do manually..

The screen is a lot brighter and more sensitive than the old TT..

I guess if you only need a basic sat nav the chinese model will do the job..

Oct 5, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
firebrand campervan
Exp
i also blew up my garmin, got a cheap one from ebay... pro drive europe, billed as no 1 gps for truckers. takes a little getting used to but much better to programme for motorhome than tom tom bought for garmin car replacement. with he pro drive you can put in sizes and also different driving scenarios.:RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have always had Garmin , know nothing about TT. I really like it as I have mapsourse installed on travel laptop and PC and plan routes in comfort on there, and transfer to device when done. For instance have written route to Spain and back in a few weeks. It takes me the low cost route with some essential short toll section to speed the trip. It's my route with selection of overnight stops identified. The way I want to go. I'm not being lead by the nose by what's a pretty dumb device!:)

OP
OP
Photo4x4

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Hit it with a hammer see if it can resist saying ouch?
Thanks for the suggestion, I've just tried that but unfortunately it didn't work!

I did the full factory reset and that didn't work.

I did some Googling and found how to activate the 'secret' test screens. You simply hold your finger on the battery indicator for 5 to 7 seconds and then let go and you enter the test screens. These include one for testing the audio by playing certain phrases and/or frequencies. I did the test and...no sound.

I have checked out the audio files by connecting it to my computer and they are present.

I have also downloaded all of the available software updates.

Still no sound.

BTW I have also found that it keeps a Microsoft XL log of all the journeys that you have set it to take you on! That really is a bit sneaky...

So, all in all it looks as though the speaker is kaput! :cry:

KH

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have a Garmin 465T truck and it is crap compared to chinkynav
Likewise I have a tomtit 1005 and sh1T too :LOL:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Don't give up on it yet....Sounds like you need to send a PM to sussamp the resident expert on Garmin forum on pocket gps mentioned earlier...go! Quickly!:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Photo4x4

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I've tried Pocket GPS and sort of confirmed that after all I have already done it must be the speaker.

I've found some very comprehensive instructions about how to replace the speaker, however I do not have the T5 Torx screwdriver required.

If I can get a speaker cheap enough I'll have a go at replacing it and if I b****r up the unit - well I need a new one any way.

I keep y'all updated.

Thanks.

KH

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have to say "Photo" you have sexed this Nuvi as female and finding females that keep quiet no matter what you do is difficult..........
...what I'm trying to say is finding women like these is hard, don't force her into talking to you as you'll always regret it, ask Mike B
......:rofl:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have a look at satnavs that run IG0 Primo, I've had a couple of Garmins last one was only a couple of months old when I splashed out on a double din stereo with IGO satnav. Money well spent the IGO Primo satnav is just so much better than the Garmin, very easy to use and the route ploting is in a different league, even gives you a choice of routes for you select from.
Wouldn't consider any other satnav software now.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Being the owner of a 255W of similar vintage, I reckon having no audio is a bonus.

The less I have to hear "...at the next turning, do a U-turn....do a U-turn....do a U-turn" the better :whistle:

(I took up an offer on the lifetime maps about 4 years ago...the fact the model is still supported is a pleasant surprise bearing in mind my track record with technology)

Last edited:
Reactions: GJH

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It sounds as if you have explored the obvious but have you tried changing to a different language? This might help confirm if it is hardware or software.

OP
OP
Photo4x4

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Yes, I even tried Cantonese!

Crikey...why bother trying to repair it when you can get Broken Link Removed?

KH

Reactions: DBK

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, I even tried Cantonese!

Crikey...why bother trying to repair it when you can get Broken Link Removed?

KH
That's the 5 inch car version of the Chinese Truck sat nav so many of us have bought. See Broken Link Removed and other listings on eBay. Price differences are sometimes because of inclusion/absence of a Micro SD card. Software is usually on the built in storage.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ok last resort. Call Garmin support its not a 0844 line. A bit hit and miss depending on who you speak to. but if Susamp could not help its probably beyond help.... Buy a Chinese or cheap new Garmin with life time mapping..no need to spend over £100 on either

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
That's the 5 inch car version of the Chinese Truck sat nav so many of us have bought. See Broken Link Removed and other listings on eBay. Price differences are sometimes because of inclusion/absence of a Micro SD card. Software is usually on the built in storage.
sorry this is all chinese to me ! what is inclusion/ absence of micro sd card? built in storage?
the £ 50 one looks good to me, but what's wrong with it! its so cheap?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
sorry this is all chinese to me ! what is inclusion/ absence of micro sd card? built in storage?
the £ 50 one looks good to me, but what's wrong with it! its so cheap?
The tablets have 4GB of built in memory and a Micro SD card slot for expansion. When several of us bought them some time ago they tended to have the IGO software installed in the unit plus a card bundled with them. Some sold now don't have the card so are cheaper.

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
The tablets have 4GB of built in memory and a Micro SD card slot for expansion. When several of us bought them some time ago they tended to have the IGO software installed in the unit plus a card bundled with them. Some sold now don't have the card so are cheaper.
so, is this £50 one any good?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Quite a few now with 8gb internal but TF cards are extra and essential
Broken Link Removed

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You keep your maps on the card and then clever people can update it for you and you just slip it back in.
Internal storage can be used for music n stuff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back