Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I need to change the brake fluid on my car.....Sorry off topic slightly but might relate to motorhomes here.

It specifies DOT 3 Brake fluid, which I am led to believe has been superseded by Dot 4 and 5.

I just wondered if it was possible to replace the DOT 3 with DOT 4 or higher.I'm assuming it isn't fully synthetic.

For a Toyota MPV 10 years old.Some brands say it will mix with the older dot3 but I am very hesitant to start mixing the fluids.The DOT Rating seems to point to the boiling temp rating.Is this a correct assumption?

Can anyone help please?:thumb:

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I need to change the brake fluid on my car.....Sorry off topic slightly but might relate to motorhomes here.

It specifies DOT 3 Brake fluid, which I am led to believe has been superseded by Dot 4 and 5.

I just wondered if it was possible to replace the DOT 3 with DOT 4 or higher.I'm assuming it isn't fully synthetic.

For a Toyota MPV 10 years old.Some brands say it will mix with the older dot3 but I am very hesitant to start mixing the fluids.The DOT Rating seems to point to the boiling temp rating.Is this a correct assumption?

Can anyone help please?:thumb:

Would rubber roof paint not work... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Maybe this will help Steve

5. "Should I use DOT 3, 4 or 5 brake fluid when replacing?"

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Would rubber roof paint not work... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Maybe this will help Steve

5. "Should I use DOT 3, 4 or 5 brake fluid when replacing?"

Grrrrr Let's give it a try Jim.....:RollEyes:

Thanks for the link .....Now I'm REALLY Bewildered.....

So...As I read it I can use DOT 3 DOT 4 AND DOT 5.1 But NOT DOT 5?

Now the problem comes when you just "top-up" the reservoir (Which I don't intend to).

Surely it can't be good practice to mix old with new?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Rose Royce

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
EPSOM
Funster No
Brake fluid needs to be COMPLETELY replaced every 3 to 5 years as it is hygroscopic, ie, it attracts water, and you don't need water in your brake fluid as, when you brake the, temperature of the fluid is more than enough to turn any water to steam. Water is not compressible, steam is.
I don't know what DOT no. you need, I'm sure any motor factor will know.

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Brake fluid needs to be COMPLETELY replaced every 3 to 5 years as it is hygroscopic, ie, it attracts water, and you don't need water in your brake fluid as, when you brake the, temperature of the fluid is more than enough to turn any water to steam. Water is not compressible, steam is.
I don't know what DOT no. you need, I'm sure any motor factor will know.

Thanks,

It is some 3 years since it was last changed.:thumb:

It does say DOT 3 on the reservoir but that was before the higher DOT rated fluids became available.

I am concerned on the affect on the seals in the system.

Obviously eliminating the silicon-based DOT 5.

Last edited:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
simples bit like compare the meerkat dot com :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: 3or4or5.1 bit like wasteing synthetic oil in and older motor dot 5 no good

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
American Dream

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just got a very helpful email by a dealer confirming Toyota only useDOT 5.1 NOW SO I'VE ORDERED A LITRE....::bigsmile:

Just reap the benefits of a Higher boiling point now.....When's track day....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Next Question....Can you use it in a LOTUS?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back