12v problems (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
12v sockets don't work when running on battery but the lights do any ideas?:Sad:

Without knowing your van, I would suggest you look for a blown fuse at the 12v control panel or fuse box.

OP
OP
G

gyp3199

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
neath
Funster No
Exp
12v problem

It's a miller maryland

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
if the lights work, but no power out of the sockets then like said, most plausable answer would be blown fuse to sockets. Find your eletric box and look at it, it will have a row of fuses for all your appliances. One of them will be just for 12v sockets.
try looking underneath your wardrobe auboard for the box, or in a seperate locker INSIDE the van.

This assumes that you mean the 12v sockets you plug things in to like you would in a car ciggie lighter and not a three pin socket that would only work when on electric hook up (unless you have a fancy invertor) sorry have to mention it because a very easy mistake to make:Blush:

OP
OP
G

gyp3199

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
neath
Funster No
Exp
Hi, checked all the fuses for appliances they are all ok, can't find the one for 12v sockets.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Ok,
give a few more details.
Exactly what happened and when? what were you doing at the time?
How many 12v sockets are in question? is the normal cab two working,(If fiat based)?

The more info the more chance of getting the soloution ot your problem:thumb:

OP
OP
G

gyp3199

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
neath
Funster No
Exp
we have two in thei living area its the first time we have tried them, also have two in the cab, they work only when the ignition is on.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
ok so to get this right. You have not used them before, when trying them for the first time they do not work. The two cab ones work ok and these would and should be on a different circuit.
You have two in the van.
Does everything else run off 12v like it should, ie water pump, any other sundries such as sat dish, air con etc?
if so, I would still go with the simple explanation. its very difficult for the 12v system to go wrong as it is a crude simple system.
Diagnosing these things can be a pain in the you know watt. I still would go for an inline fuse some where. Unfortunately without being near it I would not know where to look. I belive that the Miller brand of motorhome is an italian make and not to dissimilar from the CI model. If so my last ci used to have a fuse box under the passanger seat, however the inline 12 volt fuse was located in a seperate cupboard near to the water pump. I had the same issue as you have and once found and replaced all was sound.
So prior to expensive autoelctrician bills make sure you have a good look. sorry i cant help more.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Bear in mind that 12v TVs can be very sensitive to voltage-drop and are quite demanding on the supply. Although you are plugging into a 12v socket, unless it is fed by quite heavy-gauge cable from the battery / distribution controller, you may not be getting 12v at the socket. This can cause a TV to malfunction. (I had a similar situation when trying to run a 150W inverter via a cigarette lighter plug, despite the 12v sockets being capable of delivering a 10 amp current.)

Suggest you check another 12v device in the sockets first, or better still, if you have one, put a multimeter on them and see if they are live. If they are, then try and measure the voltage under load with the TV plugged in if you can get access to the terminals behind the socket. You may find it is a lot less than 12v.

OP
OP
G

gyp3199

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
neath
Funster No
Exp
we have now found the problem with 12v sockets not working, you have to swithch on the aux and the light button above the aux. everything working now:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back