Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Add the title says our water pump has given up, we're in southern Portugal bordering Spain and not much chance of finding a replacement.
So having to use bottles for washing.
Luckily toilet flush is working with an independent pump, don't know where that it.
We have taken pump off and dismantled it, it seems seized up.
We're going to leave it off now until we get back 1st April, trying to find one here is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Oh well!!! Have to deal with it! !!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Just search the model number on ebay and order a few days before you get home ;) Don't pay more than £55 delivered.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Cant you get one sent out? be expensive but not too difficult.
We always carry a spare bloody things always pack in at the worst time. Advised my lad to get a spare when he bought his van.
Good luck (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Techno100, we don't speak any portuguese so don't have a chance of getting one here! !
Have to use a couple of sites on the way back for showers, shame as we like the Aires.
It will be like camping again, only in a motorised tin one!!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If the motor turns there is then only one bearing for the pump so you might be able to free it up with a bit of oil, assuming you have it apart that is.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
20 psi under £50 delivered
Broken Link Removed

30 psi £52.50
Broken Link Removed

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I should added, You should be able to find one in a marine chandlers if you don't get it going.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Cant you get one sent out? be expensive but not too difficult.
We always carry a spare bloody things always pack in at the worst time. Advised my lad to get a spare when he bought his van.
Good luck (y)
We don't have an address and can't stay in one campsite long enough as we're making our way to the ferry in Santander. Mail here takes 10 days to get to us, plus the shipping is usually 3 times as much.
Thanks for the suggestion though. Have to muddle through!
we'll have to think of a spare, do they go regularly then?

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I should added, You should be able to find one in a marine chandlers if you don't get it going.
We're a quarter of the way up in Portugal, a long way from Marbella and that's the other way. We're by a reservoir, not much boating going on yet.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Add the title says our water pump has given up, we're in southern Portugal bordering Spain and not much chance of finding a replacement.
So having to use bottles for washing.
Luckily toilet flush is working with an independent pump, don't know where that it.
We have taken pump off and dismantled it, it seems seized up.
We're going to leave it off now until we get back 1st April, trying to find one here is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Oh well!!! Have to deal with it! !!

I am assuming you know that the pump doesn't turn it only wobbles (swash plate) sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I am assuming you know that the pump doesn't turn it only wobbles (swash plate) sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs.
Yes I noticed it doesn't turn the top end but when we took the plate off the bottom, surely the rod coming out of the motor does turn? No your not teaching your granny to suck eggs. Er we don't know what we are looking at. Just assume that the metal rod coming out of the bottom of it should turn?
It was covered by a plate that was covering a brass ball bearing type thing.
It made a strange noise a few times the night before, then stopped working, when we unscrewed it from the wall the body of it was hot. We had flicked the switch on the zig unit to see if it would work but only heard a thud coming from the pump.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I assume we are talking Diaphragm pump, can't load tecno's link and see picture as I am browsing on my phone in Spain and turned images off to save data.

If you have the pump body off the motor the sticky out bit on the end of the motor should turn, if not yes the motor may be seized has it been wet, not good sign if it gets hot but doesn't turn.

The bit that does not turn is the pump itself as the bearing that slips over the motor end is fixed at an angle and wobbles the plate as the motor turns,

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
What do we state when asked which one we want? Please.
It does look a bit worse for wear and is 8 years old so time for a new one.

Attachments

• 2015-03-14 10.37.19.jpg
    2015-03-14 10.37.19.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 36

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I don't think they do a 16psi any more I can only find a used one and dearer than new.
I can't see that you'll have any problems with a 20 psi as I listed earlier.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
It
I assume we are talking Diaphragm pump, can't load tecno's link and see picture as I am browsing on my phone in Spain and turned images off to save data.

If you have the pump body off the motor the sticky out bit on the end of the motor should turn, if not yes the motor may be seized has it been wet, not good sign if it gets hot but doesn't turn.

The bit that does not turn is the pump itself as the bearing that slips over the motor end is fixed at an angle and wobbles the plate as the motor turns,
It is aDiaphragm pump. We couldn't get the brass ball bearing back on the rod. It seemed too small.
We didn't think it was a good sign either, getting hot.
There is calcium around the edges of the seal so it seems as if it's been leaking slightly but the wardrobe is dry where it was housed.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A good google tells me the 20 psi is the replacement

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Techno. My signal is just 1 bar so on the edge,so getting Internet is really slow.
Thanks funflair also for the info.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Might be worth trying to get the can off the motor and see if it will start to turn, if it's not working nothing to loose, the pump bearing will go back but you might have to line a flat on the motor shaft up and remember the bearing is not in perpendicular to the pump plate.
Pity you are too far away as I like taking other peoples things apart.
It's the calcium build up that makes them leak but it all comes apart and the rubber scrubs clean and then I just put a bit of Vaseline on the seal.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Best suggestion Is a Ship Chandler. Or Boat Shop.? Show them the old pump. I replaced one down in Mar Menor some years back for a Guy on site. Bitch of a Job in the Bowels of an American R-V right under the heater!!

Don`t know where exactly you are but most of the coastal ports /towns on the A1 and the bigger city`s like Oporto and Vigo will have ship Chandlers and Yacht Clubs marina`s etc Many smaller craft have Those Pumps fitted. Flo-Jet too do a range of similar Pumps which should work.

Pete

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
It is a pity that you didn't post from the Algarve before you started North-----There is a good motorhome spares/repair place at Loule--Camperserv----they speak English-----or you could have called in at Pedro's, he would have helped you --even if you decided not to stay there--------there are marinas all along the South coast any one of them would have been able to help. You could have had a pump sent to a campsite (we had a gas valve sent to Pedro's campsite)---you didn't have to stop there---just phone to ask if it has arrived--------Portugal is not the middle of the desert--with the thousands of motorhomes visiting there, there is always ways of sorting problems(y):)-----
Nigel

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thats what we said, it's a pity it didn't pack up in the Algarve, we're in Evora, Luz, now so well away from the Algarve and not enough time to go back there to wait for one. We have the ferry in Santander in 2 weeks.
Camper serve would have sorted us out sods law isn't it?
We'll keep looking for an opportunity to get one but might have to make do until we get back.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Looking at where you are on Autoroute. and dependant upon your intentions. the probably best bet would be to route your self via Lisbon. Big Port probably plenty of Marinas. etc?. Bit of a Detour I know? BTW if I ask for best route It`s Via Madrid!!!.

Pete

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Pete for looking, we are now in vila vacosa moving up so we don't think we'll go to Lisbon. Well keep our eyes open for any other possibilities.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
From where you are you could be at Tommys place (camper serve) at Loule in a day.
Ring him to see if he's got one in stock first before travelling on +351 289 093 373
His website for address details and coordinates http://www.camperserv.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back