Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
When planning ahead for the next few months i came across a site that wanted to charge £2.50 per night for my little dog.

Now me being a tight Scot thought that this is over the top. I suspect it is a money making ruse playing on the fact that campers/outdoor types often have their pet with them.

Has anyone came across this or is it quite prevalent?

The same site wanted to charge a £10 insurance/cancellation fee!!!!

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
£1 per dog is quite common. £2.50 seems quite high. If campsite has a designated dog walk area then you are paying for this facility. If it doesn't and its a case of walking out the gates and down the road to the nearest field and wood,, ,,,,, well
Cancellation fees also popping up a lot now, especially in peak season
Look at t&c's when booking anywhere, terms vary wildly, but quite few have clauses for cancellation within for example 24 hrs or 7 days.
It is a business after all, and in hotels it's common practice. Imagine have a 75% full site booked, British weather brings rain, most cancel = no income

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Yes.

I don't mind paying a small amount.

We used to spend a lot of time at La salata in Roses on the Costa Brava.
When we first started going we had 3 small Bichon Frise and they done us a 'so called favour'
And only charged us for 2 dogs at 2.5 euros per dog.
The last time we went there was several years ago now as the receptionist had a moody on and said to me, "you have 3 dogs, you will pay for 3 dogs, that was 7.50 euros a night.
I was fuming.
Most of the facilities of the site was shut. Shop was shut. Bar was shut and so no wifi and couldn't even get bread. There was no doggy facilities anyway, no dog shower, no dog walk.
It is an expensive site to stay on without dogs.
Consequently we have never gone back there since.
Their loss.
I am glad now because we have been a bit more adventurous and found better sites with better facilities and cheaper by half and still don't charge for dogs.

Rant over:LOL:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
May not apply I'm all cases, but we asked a site owner once why the charge, answer was to disuade people with lots of dogs coming.

Seems on this particilar site there used to be quite a few people turning up with 4+ dogs and it was causing problems, in a number of ways, mainly lack of clearing up and noise

Deleted User
We have found some do, so avoid where possible. In the ACSI book the details are a bold G if they charge for additional dogs, we now try to look for sites with a G not in bold, sometimes impossible.
We have also been charged upto 3 euros per dog on a site where everything is closed. Won't be doing that again!
If it's an attempt to dissuade dogs on sites just say no dogs please :)
The caravan club don't charge in UK for dogs and you can,take as many as you want. The only thing it's got going for us :)

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Doesn't concern us.. If we like the site then we'll pay for him.. We have noticed some sites limit the amount of dogs too. Like Graham said.. Its a choice innit.

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Do some sites offer doggy showers ?
If sites provide facilities for dogs they are entitled to charge appropriately for those facilities . if they provide nothing extra , I would let them know I was going somewhere else that does provide facilities for a charge .
businesses that employ a take it or leave it attitude , in these days of social media are going to put themselves at a disadvantage in the free market , it is much easier these days to spread news , good or bad .

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I was costing a site up yesterday (UK) and it wanted £3 per night per dog. Needless to say, not going there.
I've been charged for dogs where there wasn't a dog walk, not even a designated dog poo bin, and not been charged on others where there's been a dog walk, a separate field where they could run and plentiful bins.
With ACSI the price includes one dog, I've been charged for the extra dog (Ile de Re) yet no dog charge in the Loire (L'Hermitage)
This year I'm counting on going to 3Fun Rallies ( no dog charge) Seveal C&CC sites ( ditto) and a couple of Temporary Holiday Sites ( again no dog charge)

Dog Shower---Teversal. Brilliant site, outdoor shower for dogs and bikes.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A few yrs back we paid more for Max than for Ann and me :) It was a HAVEN HOLS SITE THAT GAVE US A DEAL OF THE DAY £5 for us with H/U and £3 for Max We went back a few times and the guy used to tell me to keep Max in the van until I paid -used to say -you forgot about having a dog ;)
terry

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Surely it's the total you are expected to pay that matters? How it's made up is irrelevant.

Also the number of people that don't clear up after there pets leaving it for the wardens to deal with is much higher than you would imagine.

Dogs left in vans, barking, this get reported to the wardens who have to investigate, then try to contact the owners, or complaints that dogs are running around the site, again the wardens having to spend time to investigate, and deal with the situation.

We have two long haired German Sheperds, we have just booked a site for Easter and are paying £2.00 per dog per night, but the overall cost of "per night" is considerably cheaper than the second choice site on our list that didn't charge for dogs, so I am happy with the way that the final figure is arrived at.

The site that we have booked for our Summer holiday is charging us five Euros, per dog, per night. I don't have to go to the site of course. Would the site loose out? Not a chance, they'd sell the space to someone else in the blink of an eye, which is why we had to book last year to get the spots we wanted.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We don't have a pooch, but it seems to me that some sites overcharge for a dog in the way that Amazon or Tesco ask an inordinate sum for various articles, just to put you off. (as in the issue when they provide no 'services'. I don't think they want them.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We were pricing up sites last week, and one wanted £3.50 per dog per night. With 2 dogs that's flipping expensive, it's not as if they've got their own tent :mad:
in which case what is a "pup tent"?
in europe we have seen doggys with their own tent/enclosure

SandT

Free Member
Oct 15, 2012
Malta
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek
Exp
I was costing a site up yesterday (UK) and it wanted £3 per night per dog. Needless to say, not going there.
I've been charged for dogs where there wasn't a dog walk, not even a designated dog poo bin, and not been charged on others where there's been a dog walk, a separate field where they could run and plentiful bins.
With ACSI the price includes one dog, I've been charged for the extra dog (Ile de Re) yet no dog charge in the Loire (L'Hermitage)
This year I'm counting on going to 3Fun Rallies ( no dog charge) Seveal C&CC sites ( ditto) and a couple of Temporary Holiday Sites ( again no dog charge)

Dog Shower---Teversal. Brilliant site, outdoor shower for dogs and bikes.

Bikes for dogs?

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Yes its just another way to squeeze more money out of us ,but complain about sites ,what about the ferries £30 return on the ferries and tunnel to France ,We take two dogs ,one cat £90 return and they never leave the motorhome.!.All caged up they cannot even look out of the windows LOL.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
St Ives Christmas 2014.jpg
We paid an extra £30 over Christmas/New Year for the dog.

Was it worth it? Yep - every penny to wake up to this view every morning!

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Do some sites offer doggy showers ?
If sites provide facilities for dogs they are entitled to charge appropriately for those facilities . if they provide nothing extra , I would let them know I was going somewhere else that does provide facilities for a charge .
businesses that employ a take it or leave it attitude , in these days of social media are going to put themselves at a disadvantage in the free market , it is much easier these days to spread news , good or bad .

Have a look at the Old Oaks http://www.theoldoaks.co.uk they have a hot water shower at the end of the dog walk, one of the best sites we have been on.

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
We have often gone away with 2 other couples and there 2 children each over the whitsun week and with us having no kids other than our Lab we have time and time again had to pay more as there kids go free but the dog doesn't!!!

I'm going to start taking him to the showers etc with me so I can get our moneys worth, also the dog is far better behaved than a lot of kids who roam around the sites

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back