'I bin up on the roof, me!'. A tale of learning. (1 Viewer)

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
First year under our belt!
Last year, way back when we were total beginners and still wet behind the doodahs**, we decided that the huge Fiamma top box had to come off the top of the bus as a) we felt we wouldn't use it, and b) someone somewhere told us that it would cause the old girl to use plenty more diesel to overcome the drag. I was somewhat doubtful as the aerodynamics are pretty much at the 'shoe box' end of the scale anyway, but it seemed fairly feasible-ish. There was also c) the winter cover probably wouldn't fit over it so it had to come off anyway, if only temporarily.

Still, we were never going to use it so off it came. Well, it was eventually prised free from the thick aluminium plate is was (steel) screwed to. As I was wielding the angle grinder I experienced a dim memory that dissimilar metals sometimes come to like each other a little too much and resist being separated. This was the case here so twelve screw heads were ground off and then the remaining stubs were ground flat in the aluminium, forever to remain together probably.
I was now becoming quite the chimpanzee when it came to getting on and off the roof with various tools, one handed, and often hooting. Mainly due to fear of falling.

*Time passes*

In November-ish Tesco sold off some rather lovely folding chairs for not very much money at all. On the website they looked really good quality and seemed to have lovely thick squashy cushions, and this was so; they are indeed very good, and very squashy.
Something else I discovered after buying two for us to rest our aching bones in on hollibobs, was that they are very big. Where would we put them when they were not in use? It would be a nuisance to have to keep moving them around inside, so... what we needed was... well, something like... a box on the roof, really. Bugger.

As the Fiamma box suffered injury during the winter when it got blown off the shed roof (twice), and needs repairs to make it roof-worthy, it was fortuitous that we were given a rather splendid, and only once-used, Thule Ranger 90. This, if you don't know, is a folding roof box! Bloody clever, those Japanese. More King Kong impressions were forthcoming and eventually suitable holes were made in the roof plate to accept the fittings. Both chairs fit into the box as though they were designed to do so. Yes, I checked they would fit before putting it on the roof. I'm not silly, y'know.

So, the moral of my story is, don't get rid of something before you have new chairs.
No, that's not it.
Don't climb on the roof unless you have a folding box... hang on...
Don't listen to people who advise you to do something before you can climb a vertical ladder fifty times in a morning and not trip over stuff on the roof of a motorhome while holding power tools. That'll do.

**We're obviously wizened and vastly experienced now. Ha!!

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Seems a bit silly as we have a fiamma top box which is usually empty. If you had spoken up sooner then I could have followed you around with said cushions inside. Booked ferry now. Bu**er eh.;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 21, 2013
Vienne France
Funster No
MH
VW T4 & MC LOUIS 671
Exp
2013 / 2004
We had one on our van when we got her we also took it off. We decided that new van being a 6 birth and there only being 2 of us plus our doggi should be more than enough space inside. Wehavnt sold on the box its being stored incase we end up putting it back on at some point.

You see you are not the only one to keep a box and then end up putting it back on. Loved the monkey resemblance when on roof must be a man thing lol.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Box on roof? Mine was removed and replaced with a large solar panel. Far more useful, also less height to worry about on low trees, ferries and tolls based on height.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
We had one on our van when we got her we also took it off. We decided that new van being a 6 birth and there only being 2 of us plus our doggi should be more than enough space inside. Wehavnt sold on the box its being stored incase we end up putting it back on at some point.

You see you are not the only one to keep a box and then end up putting it back on. Loved the monkey resemblance when on roof must be a man thing lol.

It's having to climb the ladder with one hand that does it. The eyes widen, the mouth naturally takes on the 'Ooh' shape and monkey noises just come out without prior warning. The toes try to grip also, I found.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
I'm missing out on such a lot I must go on my roof . I may two have one......lol

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Just a thought, are you saying that there are the remains of steel screws in the aluminium roof plate?

Whilst you may have found it difficult to remove the screws, this is due to corrosion as a result of action between dissimilar metals with the help of a little rain water. Steel and aluminium do not mix, eventually the aluminium may corrode away leaving you with holes in your roof plate.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I had one on my roof, on my last van. did my back in lowering two bikes down to the kids. not on this van

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Simon, your typings have me thinking you are from the north, but your location states Kent! Were you indeed born a northerner?

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Simon, your typings have me thinking you are from the north, but your location states Kent! Were you indeed born a northerner?

I was born in Walthamstow and have ventured northwards beyond there very few times. I've lived dahn here by the sea for most of my life.

OP
OP
Simon

Simon

Free Member
Aug 29, 2014
Ramsgate, Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 600
Exp
Just a thought, are you saying that there are the remains of steel screws in the aluminium roof plate?

Whilst you may have found it difficult to remove the screws, this is due to corrosion as a result of action between dissimilar metals with the help of a little rain water. Steel and aluminium do not mix, eventually the aluminium may corrode away leaving you with holes in your roof plate.

Indeed, dissimilar metals are a bugger. Fear not though, the aluminium plate is very thick, and the steel screws are comparatively small. It'll be a while before one destroys the other and, to be honest, there was a much more immediate danger of me drilling holes into the roof of the bus when I was fitting the folding roof box. All is well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back