Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
Can I ask for people's experience using the Liber-t tag.
We are a 3 mtr "A" class and tow a trailer with smart car.
Never had any issues being charged other than class 2 so don't see any reason for that to change.
I think the tag is to be secured around the rear view mirror location ( if I had one) hence my interest in other people's experiences.

Cheers in advance

froggy59

Free Member
Jul 12, 2011
walkden
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2009
I have used the Liber-T tag for 4 years now and not had any problems at all, but I have never had a trailer. like you say just stick it in the mirror area as in the instructions on there web site.

Alan

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
3 metre ??????? very small for an A class or anything else, the Smart is bigger I think, maybe more economic to tow the van with the smart!!,
Cheers, Dave(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We use the Tag but not in it's holder! The holder was originally in our car when we were tugging and it was very securely stuck to the windscreen. Being scared of breaking the glass we now, when using the MH, only wave the transponder in the general direction of the reading device, it's always worked so far. As long as you're 3m or under then you will be class 2, AFAIK the trailer makes no difference.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
We use the Tag but not in it's holder! The holder was originally in our car when we were tugging and it was very securely stuck to the windscreen. Being scared of breaking the glass we now, when using the MH, only wave the transponder in the general direction of the reading device, it's always worked so far. As long as you're 3m or under then you will be class 2, AFAIK the trailer makes no difference.[/QUOTE

Me too but waving it in the 30 Peage sometimes causes heart in the mouth moment when the barrier doesn't go up!!
Still had one for nearly ten years,never been ripped off although prices have got extortionate lately!!

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Although I said it's worked so far there has been some user error.
Last September for some reason it didn't work and in the resultant confusion my wife put her credit card in the slot where the toll ticket should go. It said "thanks very much" and she never saw it again!
We then discovered that ALL the reading devices at the peage were not working, not just ours, so we felt a little better. We were laughing so much we had to stop at the next rest aire.

The other time was when I fumbled and dropped the tag. There was then a tussle between the two of us and the dog as to who got it first.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I have ordered a 'TAG' for €6 a year and a maximum of €10 a year to use, the reduction in stress levels makes this a bargain. SWMBO will think it's a great purchase, brownie points to me, eventually.....
And if she flies home to work from the south of France and I have to drive back, then easy for me.
This is assuming it works, I don't fancy reversing from a toll booth with a long queue behind me....." That would also be my fault " !!!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just took this from the website unless I'm reading it wrong it's definitely not for over 3.5 tons.
What is Liber-t?
Liber-t is the French national télépéage scheme for light vehicles operated by the members of ASFA, the association of French motorway operators on behalf of the French government. The scheme operates across the entire autoroute network and a Liber-t tag can even be used to pay for parking at some car parks. The Liber-t scheme is for light and intermediate vehicles and motorcycles only (i.e. vehicle classes 1, 2 and 5). Vehicles over 3.5t GVW* and more than 3m tall are not eligible for the Liber-t scheme but are covered by the TIS-PL (Télépéage Poids Lourds) scheme. Unfortunately, Sanef Tolling UK are unable to supply tags for the TIS-PL scheme. We are working with our sister company Eurotoll to try and come up with a service for consumers (not commercial) who have class 3 and 4 vehicles (e.g. large motorhomes) but at the moment this is not possible.

Vehicles Eligible for the Liber-t Télépéage Scheme
Vehicle Class Vehicle Type Description
1 Broken Link Removed
Light Vehicles
  • Vehicle with overall height under 2 metres and GVW* not exceeding 3.5 tonnes
  • Train with overall height under 2 metres and GVW* of towing vehicle not exceeding 3.5 tonnes
  • Cars with roofloads such as roofboxes or bicycles are still Class 1 even though they may exceed 2m
  • Only Class 1 vehicles may use the height restricted lanes
  • Class 1 vehicles may also use the non-height restricted lanes
2 Broken Link Removed
Intermediate Vehicles
  • Vehicle with overall height from 2 to 3 metres and GVW* not exceeding 3.5 tonnes
  • Train with overall height from 2 to 3 metres and GVW* of towing vehicle not exceeding 3.5 tonnes
Please Note: Class 2 vehicles that have been adapted for disabled passengers are entitled to be charged at Class 1 rate
5 Broken Link Removed
Motorcycles
  • Motorcycle
  • Motorcycle with sidecar
  • Tricycle
Please note: The use of a Liber-t tag on a motorcycle is somewhat restricted. In order to be charged at the Class 5 rate, you must use the manual lane and hand your tag over to the operator to be scanned. You will be billed as normal. This is still better than fumbling for cash or payment card with gloves on. If you do use the automated lane, however you will be charged at the Class 1 rate.
* GVW = Gross Vehicle Weight

Vehicles NOT Eligible for the Liber-t Télépéage Scheme
3 Broken Link Removed
HGV or bus with two axles
  • Vehicle with overall height of 3 metres or more
  • Vehicle with GVW* of more than 3.5 tonnes
4 Broken Link Removed
HGV or bus with three or more axles
  • Vehicle with more than two axles and height of 3 metres or more, or GVW* of more than 3.5 tonnes
  • Train with overall height of 3 metres or more
  • Train with towing vehicle having GVW* of more than 3.5 tonnes

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Note these are only available for vans up to 3500kgs
my M/H is plated at 5 tonne and a tag axle,,,i still get class 2 tolls at manned or unmanned pay booths so i would assume the liber-t tag should still work.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Ours is over 4t and has worked fine.. Love it in fact.. Saves us loads of time and fuel

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
This does bring up the interesting question; what classe is a tag in?

Theres thouands of them in france but I havent yet seen a clear definition.

Strictly speaking we are classe 3 because we re over 3.5t but still on 2 axles. But there doesnt seem to be an upper weight limit for classe 3.

If you take it as 3 axles then its classe 4 which would mean a small tag would pay a lot more than an 18t Motorhome.

I cant believe that the French would buy so many tags if that was the case. Does anyone know the definitive answer? or is it negotiate at the booths like we do for 2?

Jon

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just took this from the website unless I'm reading it wrong it's definitely not for over 3.5 tons.
What is Liber-t?
Liber-t is the French national télépéage scheme for light vehicles operated by the members of ASFA, the association of French motorway operators on behalf of the French government. The scheme operates across the entire autoroute network and a Liber-t tag can even be used to pay for parking at some car parks. The Liber-t scheme is for light and intermediate vehicles and motorcycles only (i.e. vehicle classes 1, 2 and 5). Vehicles over 3.5t GVW* and more than 3m tall are not eligible for the Liber-t scheme but are covered by the TIS-PL (Télépéage Poids Lourds) scheme. Unfortunately, Sanef Tolling UK are unable to supply tags for the TIS-PL scheme. We are working with our sister company Eurotoll to try and come up with a service for consumers (not commercial) who have class 3 and 4 vehicles (e.g. large motorhomes) but at the moment this is not possible.

Vehicles Eligible for the Liber-t Télépéage Scheme
1 Broken Link Removed
Light Vehicles
  • Vehicle with overall height under 2 metres and GVW* not exceeding 3.5 tonnes
  • Train with overall height under 2 metres and GVW* of towing vehicle not exceeding 3.5 tonnes
  • Cars with roofloads such as roofboxes or bicycles are still Class 1 even though they may exceed 2m
  • Only Class 1 vehicles may use the height restricted lanes
  • Class 1 vehicles may also use the non-height restricted lanes
2 Broken Link Removed
Intermediate Vehicles
  • Vehicle with overall height from 2 to 3 metres and GVW* not exceeding 3.5 tonnes
  • Train with overall height from 2 to 3 metres and GVW* of towing vehicle not exceeding 3.5 tonnes
Please Note: Class 2 vehicles that have been adapted for disabled passengers are entitled to be charged at Class 1 rate
5 Broken Link Removed
Motorcycles
  • Motorcycle
  • Motorcycle with sidecar
  • Tricycle
Please note: The use of a Liber-t tag on a motorcycle is somewhat restricted. In order to be charged at the Class 5 rate, you must use the manual lane and hand your tag over to the operator to be scanned. You will be billed as normal. This is still better than fumbling for cash or payment card with gloves on. If you do use the automated lane, however you will be charged at the Class 1 rate.
* GVW = Gross Vehicle Weight

Vehicles NOT Eligible for the Liber-t Télépéage Scheme
3 Broken Link Removed
HGV or bus with two axles
  • Vehicle with overall height of 3 metres or more
  • Vehicle with GVW* of more than 3.5 tonnes
4 Broken Link Removed
HGV or bus with three or more axles
  • Vehicle with more than two axles and height of 3 metres or more, or GVW* of more than 3.5 tonnes
  • Train with overall height of 3 metres or more
  • Train with towing vehicle having GVW* of more than 3.5 tonnes
Sorry, I didn't read the link I posted! You are right!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We are 5 ton and a 25ft tag but just under 3m high so are always charged as Class 2.
Have considered buying a Liber t in the past but wasn't sure if you had to in put vehicle details.
Does anyone with a tag actually have one.?

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
WE are a "standard" van (3.5t, 6.7m) and we don't tow so I can't help with the size questions. But we do find it a wonderful asset in terms of easing our way through tolls.
Stress free: we don't have to scrabble for the correct change or misunderstand a half heard word in a foreign language or maneuver so H can access the appropriate slot, (which is often at an inconvenient height), or chase down the road for a 10E note that blew away between fingers and slot (words were exchanged), or wait behind some poor sod who is holding everyone up by having all these things happen to him at the same time
It fits on the shaded area behind the mirror and when in place we forget it

OP
OP
Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Stockton on tees
Funster No
MH
"Hymer duomobil" B634 SL
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the input.
My view is as I get charged class 2 anyway and I have never been asked regarding weight I will go for the tag and see what happens.
Again many thanks D

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We don't use the holder either as it is a pain to remove and it could tempt a scrote if they know that a tag is likely to be in the vehicle and make it more tempting to break into.
I love being able to drive through without stopping - it gives SWMBO a chance to snooze without being disturbed by opening the window or having to ask her to pay. Also, it gives some smugness when we are overtaken by fast cars that then get slowed down by long queues at the booths as we cruise through the priority or truck lanes ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back