Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled,
public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be
tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be
curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work
instead of living on public assistance."

Cicero, 55 BC

So, evidently we've learned bugger all over the past 2,070 years!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
what the british empire have robbed and stole from around the world.. We owe a darn site more then we are paying! Anyway selfishness is a really short sighted philosophy....We need these countries to climb out from a subsistence level and be able to buy our products. Its called enlightened self interest:coffee:

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
You may be right about what the British Empire has stolen,robbed from around the world,but.. It was a time of dog eat dog,had we not had men of vision (Greed ?),it could be us now,that are clammering to get into the other Colonial powers,"Gardens of Eden"
Poacher turned gamekeeper springs (Ended slavery/Piracy ?) to mind,and on that subject,there are still some...Poachers,that are members of our much lauded E.U. Fair play? Don't turn your back,even so,it is the Country of FIRST choice,among the people who are the "Not haves",people who will cross countless countries with high hopes of making a better life with their skills/hands and sadly,those who see GB as a sign that reads. Gullible B****eds.
Tea Bag

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
what the british empire have robbed and stole from around the world.. We owe a darn site more then we are paying!anyway selfishness is a relly short sighted philosophy....We need these countries tio climb out of a subsistence level and be able to buy our products. Its called enlightened self interest:coffee:
If that is your logic JM then Germany should be skint by now

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If that is your logic JM then Germany should be skint by now

Possibly :) ....when in fact the introduction of the euro has made them a super power economically(with problems!) Selling expensive product to those that cant afford it....and high on bankrupting them in the process

I remember an obnoxious drunken german on a campsite in northern portugal pontificating that "we are the bankers of Europe!" Over and over again and that in pre euro days.. The irony being how right he was!:(

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ah well, it was sent to me by a friend in good faith - and copied here in the same spirit!

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
If overseas "aid" was spent in the UK we would be one of the richest countries in Europe.
I think we should pay more in over seas aid, it's better to pay them to stay and work in their own countries than have them try to enter the UK illegally. I know there is a problem with aid going missing in some countries but that is our governments fault for not keeping a more prudent eye on where the money goes.:unsure:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ah well, it was sent to me by a friend in good faith - and copied here in the same spirit!
Sorry Sedge I wasn't having a pop:whistle::p. I was just surprised to see it again after such a long time.:eek:

Whenever someone sends me something that sounds great, unbelievable, surprising etc etc I always always check before I pass it on.

I get told off on facebook a bit for posting hoax busters, or other debunks of impressive or surprising posts. Why do I do it when it is harmless?

The simple reason is that if people believe everything they read however harmless they are more likely to be taken in by something that is harmful in the future. If I can demonstrate that a very quick google can prove something to be wrong, more people will do these checks before passing things along and possibly prevent a harmful one from being passed on in the future.

I am sorry I also had to laugh at your response here. The term "good faith" always makes me giggle :p Isn't that an oxymoron like "Military intelligence" or "Microsoft Works" :whistle::winky::roflmto:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think we should pay more in over seas aid, it's better to pay them to stay and work in their own countries than have them try to enter the UK illegally. I know there is a problem with aid going missing in some countries but that is our governments fault for not keeping a more prudent eye on where the money goes.:unsure:
I think we should use targeted aid. For instance we see that a particular region has a problem with x,y or z. We then find the UK company(s) best able to fix the problem. Then pay that company to do the job. This stops money being skimmed off by corrupt goverments, being sent to pet projects or just going missing. It also means UK companies can employ more people. And as a huge bonus it helps the people directly that the money is targeted. I also believe this would be cheaper and more efficient use of our money?

There should be no legal target on how much should be spent. We should spend just enough to get the job done to help the least well off.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Never mind the British Empire, how about the Roman Empire? No one seems to chastise the Italians do they

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Having seen the documentry " The Romanians are coming", I wonder if it would be a lot cheaper (for us in UK) to send money out there to improve their bit of country so they stay there.. A lot of them seem very patriotic and want to get back ASAP.. But we would also need a team from UK to oversee the spending of it..
Simplistic view, but then I'm simple..

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Or we could come out of the EU and send them home (y)

Dont think its being patriotic they just want to get back and spend their GBP :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back