Can you fit an 8x4 sheet on the roof? (1 Viewer)

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Has anyone ever attempted to carry an 8x4 sheet of ply on their MH roof, and before you ask I am assuming a proper roof rack is fitted, and the dam thing is fastened down in the correct manner.

And if not on the roof what about inside, again I assume only panel vans with a rear opening door would meet the requirement here.

Finally, what's the weirdest thing you've ever carried. You can tell my MH (When it comes) will lead a hard life ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has anyone ever attempted to carry an 8x4 sheet of ply on their MH roof

Funny you should ask that.

NO.

Every day my wife asks "shall we go buy a sheet of 8x4 ply today".

I say "bog off you sill old fool, we don't need any ply".

I'm getting worried about her.

Upvote 0
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Don't see why not as long as its secure, you'll probably need som e arm extensions :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Don't see why not as long as its secure, you'll probably need som e arm extensions :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And maybe clearance from Air Traffic Control if you go over 30 or the wind picks up!!

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You thinking of building a Helipad then?

THAT would be a cool Toad.....:Cool:

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has anyone ever attempted to carry an 8x4 sheet of ply on their MH roof, and before you ask I am assuming a proper roof rack is fitted,

On a more serious note, for a change.

Roof is a long way up and that brings serious risks in windy conditions.

But look at any window installer's van. They put big sheets on the side vertically. A quick fix rack like a bike rack would be easy to engineer.

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
On a more serious note, for a change.

Roof is a long way up and that brings serious risks in windy conditions.

But look at any window installer's van. They put big sheets on the side vertically. A quick fix rack like a bike rack would be easy to engineer.

A sheet that size can cause a lot of lift and instability even at low speeds and damage to people and Property from that height....:Eeek:should it break free.

The side mount is the best, as Brian says, but would tend to make a Motorhome excessively wider....

Is this a one-off or for your Work on a regular basis?

I have got a sheet that size through my door, albeit taking it very carefully, to replace a panel but I certainly wouldn't be doing it all the time.

It helps if it's not too thick and will flex a bit.This was max 4mm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
How about some L brackets fitted to a tow bar? Carry the sheets vertically and secured at the top to roof bars.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Has anyone ever attempted to carry an 8x4 sheet of ply on their MH roof, and before you ask I am assuming a proper roof rack is fitted, and the dam thing is fastened down in the correct manner.

And if not on the roof what about inside, again I assume only panel vans with a rear opening door would meet the requirement here.

Finally, what's the weirdest thing you've ever carried. You can tell my MH (When it comes) will lead a hard life ::bigsmile:

Hi, yes you can provided you fasten it down properly ::bigsmile:and yes if it fits inside :thumb:
Finally, what's the weirdest thing you've ever carried-- must be the wife :ROFLMAO: If anyone cares to explain anything more weird than any female feel free :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi, yes you can provided you fasten it down properly ::bigsmile:and yes if it fits inside :thumb:
Finally, what's the weirdest thing you've ever carried-- must be the wife :ROFLMAO: If anyone cares to explain anything more weird than any female feel free :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So THAT'S no lunch for you then Terry.:RollEyes:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Funny you should ask that.

NO.

Every day my wife asks "shall we go buy a sheet of 8x4 ply today".

I say "bog off you sill old fool, we don't need any ply".

I'm getting worried about her.

::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Brian,
Thanks, that did make me smile, you wait 'till I tell you where I'm gonna buy it and where I plan to take it too (Well OK it's just one of my wilder ideas, but I'm an engineer, well used to be, so I like technical challenges :RollEyes:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a

Hey, didn't think of that, brill idea (runs back to drawing board to knock out a quick sketch ::bigsmile:)

I did ask this question on UK Workshop and nearly all the replies mentioned the dangers of going airborne even with it strapped down in umpteen different ways :RollEyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Is this a one-off or for your Work on a regular basis?

I think this would definately be a 'one off' ::bigsmile:

I guess I should have said that maybe, just maybe I could cut it in half, a 4x4 sheet would go inside pretty easy but I would have a lot more wastage, not that I consider myself a skinflint of course ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
everyones overlooked the obvious.......get it delivered :Doh:

Hmm wonder what Travis Perkins would charge to deliver to the Czech republic. :Smile: Plenty of ply here but I just can't seem to find any with a Cherry veneer on one side :cry: I only need one sheet to do the job ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back