1,9 N/a cam belt change (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Anyone done one themselves ? It would appear that a locking kit is recommended but I was wondering whether possible without ?
I've got a complete belt & bearing/tensioner kit but no locking kit.:)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Can be done without the locking kit but safer to use the kit. If you really don't want to buy the kit then before you remove the old belt put some marks on it at each pulley and onto the pulleys at the same positions with tipex. Remove the belt and place it alongside the new one and copy the marks to the new belt (be sure to get it the right way round for direction of travel if applicable) and fit the new belt lining the belt marks up to the ones on the pulleys.

D.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
A little dodge that I have used over the years that may work for you,
I don't know what your base vehicle is but basically you get a sharp Stanley knife and cut you belt in half longitudinal around its full circumference turning the engine over slowly,
Then you can remove half of the belt, but all the timing gears are still fixed, then slide the new belt onto the timing gears, you probably will need to slacken off the tensioner slightly,
Then cut off the rest of the old belt and push home fully the new belt,
Obviously you must take care not to let the belt slip when replacing the tensioner,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gus-lopez
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Can be done without the locking kit but safer to use the kit. If you really don't want to buy the kit then before you remove the old belt put some marks on it at each pulley and onto the pulleys at the same positions with tipex. Remove the belt and place it alongside the new one and copy the marks to the new belt (be sure to get it the right way round for direction of travel if applicable) and fit the new belt lining the belt marks up to the ones on the pulleys.

D.

(y)Thanks for that . That was one idea I had read a while back & which I was proposing to do.
I was thinking that if I can mange to change the belt on a carnival( Sedona) with the nightmare & lack of space that entails I should be able to mange this without a locking kit.
If I don't do it before going to the Uk then I'll probably pick up a kit whilst there.

A little dodge that I have used over the years that may work for you,
I don't know what your base vehicle is but basically you get a sharp Stanley knife and cut you belt in half longitudinal around its full circumference turning the engine over slowly,
Then you can remove half of the belt, but all the timing gears are still fixed, then slide the new belt onto the timing gears, you probably will need to slacken off the tensioner slightly,
Then cut off the rest of the old belt and push home fully the new belt,
Obviously you must take care not to let the belt slip when replacing the tensioner,

Yes I've heard that one before. Unfortunately I will be changing everything so don't believe it will work. Thanks anyway.

Thanks to you both.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Can lock the 1.9 handy enough using the 'blind' end of drillbits.
Not so hard to do, I'll post up auto-data images if you wish.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back