6.4m vs 6.95m "ideal length" for fulltiming ? (1 Viewer)

Undecided

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
Paris
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
I've heard here and there that 6.4m means you can safely boondock urbanly without upsetting people about the space you take up on the street. Or in fact, that the 45cm make the big difference between finding a parking spot and not.

On the other hand, I've been in both kinds of motorhomes and I must admit I was really and truly surprised by how different it feels in terms of living space.

I cannot tip the balance in any one direction to choose, since I don't have first hand experience with any of the lengths in urban situations, but if the more experienced here tell me that a 6.95m is really a nono, I'll know what to do. If on the other hand I would only have parking problems with a 6.95m 50% of the time while going urban I'm likely to go that direction.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Ours is 6.9 and we have just done 6 months in it in Portugal and Spain and could easily do more if we did not have to be back for my eye appointment! No problem at all!
We use it for shopping and any where else we want to go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Undecided

Undecided

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
Paris
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Thanks treetops1 for the reply. That's what I was thinking too since the average parking spot is roughly 4.5m to 5.5m.

I might have been only dreaming that a 6.4m would mean I'd have enough to park up urbanly as my heart desired.

Reactions: Jim
OP
OP
Undecided

Undecided

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
Paris
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Hey ksebruce, thanks for the contribution. Did you ever sleep overnight in the heart of the city in it? If so, how easy was to find THE parking spot?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
To me 6.4 is what I look for, current PCV is that length and A class I'm looking at same length, will not go longer!But I'm not living in it! :) that a completely different scenario. Even my 6.4 more difficult to live with compared with previous 6 metre van, but would not go back as like the space.....

How often are you going to take a large camper its a town, city anyway

Reactions: Jim

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hey ksebruce, thanks for the contribution. Did you ever sleep overnight in the heart of the city in it? If so, how easy was to find THE parking spot?
No! We do not "do" cities! We use Camperstops, Aires and sites.
Only wilding we have done is a baragem in Portugal!
In France Spain and Portugal in BIG towns we park on the outskirts and walk in!

OP
OP
Undecided

Undecided

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
Paris
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Well I work in the film industry so I ideally should be staying two to three days at a time on a constant basis in different cities for shoots. A 6.95m would also give me the advantage of placing my equipment underneath the bed in the back as these lengths offer this layout, taking it out easily from the rear. I don't want holding up crews to be my style.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I'd go for a motorhome at 7.4 ideal length and it just happens I'm selling one
If we want to park in a supermarket or city car park we tend to look for one with grass verge and reverse the garage over the verge so we don't stick out at front and so far never had an issue.

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Ours is 7.4 and we take it everywhere - as long as you have the home parking space once you get used to the characteristics of driving it you will want to take it everywhere. I prefer driving ours to any car and we can spend any time we like away.
I can see the advantages of shorter/lower sleeper capacity units as lounging room can be a benefit.

Regards,

Trikeman.

OP
OP
Undecided

Undecided

Free Member
Mar 4, 2015
Paris
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
So, has any of you been in the situation of having to do cities? How did it go?

Lorger, is that the Adria 680SP you're talking about? I think that's outta my budget anyways, but holy that's a fine vehicle :D

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I think if you are full timing on your own a 6mtr van you could live in and will fit wherever a delivery van fits. We have just spent two months quite comftably in ours. We do have a good size garage which we could not do without now.

We have a burstner travel van t570 Which is slightly narrower than a usual Coachbuild. But you need to look at various vans to find somthing that really suits you

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a fulltimer I have had the following.
8 Mtr Eura Mobil
9.5 Mtr Bus conversion
6 Mtr Panel van conversion.

The simple rule of fulltiming is that you have to compromise. With vehicle length you compromise between ease of getting around/parking and living space.

If you get a vehicle that is in the middle you are compromising at both ends I feel. For me 6 mtrs gives you the versatility to move around without planning etc etc.
8 meters gives me lots of living space and luxury. Anything in between and you lose out from both ends.

My decision was based on my lifestyle. I wanted to move around a lot and be able to go anywhere and park anywhere. Hence the panel van conversion I am in now.

If you are an outdoors type, will be moving around a lot and won't be spending a great deal of time in the van. Then a smaller one would be my advice.

However if you are staying on campsites a lot, will be spending a lot of time in the van and won't be moving too much then a bigger van is better.

However you also need to consider your own psychology. I am happy to live in a very small space which other would find claustrophobic... Others would find a large RV claustrophobic after a few months.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not all at the same time. I have been fulltiming for 6 years now. The Eura for the first year. The bus lasted almost a year and have been in the van ever since. :p:LOL:

Ah ha! sorry....misunderstood. Even though we love panel vans, for full timing a bit of a stretch! What's it like in deep winter. We are looking to go for a smallish 6.4 A class once wife retires as want to go back to fully winterised...

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Well I work in the film industry so I ideally should be staying two to three days at a time on a constant basis in different cities for shoots. A 6.95m would also give me the advantage of placing my equipment underneath the bed in the back as these lengths offer this layout, taking it out easily from the rear. I don't want holding up crews to be my style.
In my day it was the Location Managers job to sort out parking (y):LOL:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ours is 6m and it doesn't fit in a typical supermarket parking spot - overhangs at one end or the other. You would need something no longer than 5 or at a push 5.5m to be sure it would fit more or less anywhere.

We still park it in supermarkets or in streets, you just have to choose a suitable spot.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
We have a 6.4 mtr A class, no trouble touring mainly Fance and Germany for five months of the year. Supermarkets present no difficulty even though our length does overhang car size parking spaces. We fir easily on aires and smaller campsite spaces and a three point turn can be achieved on most roads with care. I wouldn't want to go much bigger though, simply for mannoureability .

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We have a 6.4 mtr A class, no trouble touring mainly Fance and Germany for five months of the year. Supermarkets present no difficulty even though our length does overhang car size parking spaces. We fir easily on aires and smaller campsite spaces and a three point turn can be achieved on most roads with care. I wouldn't want to go much bigger though, simply for mannoureability .

what make plse

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7.4 never had any problems parking pull toad or trailer thinking of going full time so will end up longer [ bigger trailer] instead of 6 probably 8ft making over 9mts,anybody want a trailer offers

Attachments

• trailer 004.jpg
    trailer 004.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 23

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back