P2P file share...which do you use? (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Looking for a reliable p2p file sharing prog download.

Previously used Kazaalite (not bad) and Limewire (excellent selection), but last time i had Limewire in, it totally screwed up my pc......so that won't be going back in!

Already have Demonoid which is 1st class but limited, and Piratebay (not much in the way of music).

I'm looking for one which has a good selection of mp3/4 music files.

Any recommendations from personal experience? Which do you use on a regular basis and been problem free with?

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Any P2P File sharing sites has it's risks.

As soon as files are shared, so are virus' and Malware.

Kazaa, Limewire and Facebook are the major source of my income from repairing PCs.:RollEyes:

Even Rapidshare has it's down sides.Torrents too.

Advice is to use a good antivirus.I use NOD 32 Security.Seems to get them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Any P2P File sharing sites has it's risks.
Advice is to use a good antivirus.I use NOD 32 Security.Seems to get them.
Agree with you 'ad' though my 'bad experience' with Limewire was using the Pro version, reckoned to be safer than the basic download, plus i was running with the latest version of ZA antivirus.

I'd used Limewire on 'n off for two or three trouble free years....no problem. Unfortunately it had access to a huge selection of music and you could virtually guarantee you'd find some obscure single you were after!

Demonoid encourages 'virus free' downloads and any users found sending any out get chucked off. Took me a while to get on as it's by invited members only....only downfall is its pretty much limited to current stuff.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi

Try Frostwire.. it is a free version of Limewire , it's what I use

Jim
Giving it a go Jim.

First thing i noticed though is it insists on installing a daft 'Ask' toolbar which i wouldn't accept.......but then Frostwire wouldn't run, so i've had to stick this daft toolbar in but once i've tried a download i'll remove it (toolbar), then see if it will work without.

Nothing annoys me more when you are forced to take something you don't want and probably don't need!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Nothing annoys me more when you are forced to take something you don't want and probably don't need!

Totally agree, I abhor tool bars forced on me..

I've had Frostwire a while so maybe that's a new feature , shouldn't be a problem removing it ..

let us know how you get on with it ..

Jim

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
What is the difference between frostwire and limewire please?

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
My advice would be to leave these p2p programs alone, they are full of spyware :cry:and viruses :cry:

regards

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Totally agree, I abhor tool bars forced on me..

I've had Frostwire a while so maybe that's a new feature , shouldn't be a problem removing it ..

let us know how you get on with it ..

Jim
Ermmmm.........removing toolbar? No problem, i removed that soon as the download was in.

Frostwire? Removed that too now!!

Both downloads were infected files!

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Take it you won't be using the internet then? :Confused:

Use it all the time ;but safely :thumb: like american dream, fixed to many puters that have been riddled with malware/viruses.

Regards

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
I use utorrent for software and download from mininova also use the newsgroups alot

used to use limewire and kazalite but dont need anymore you can get viruse from any where on the net but any decent antvirus will get rid of most nasties:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Use it all the time ;but safely :thumb: like american dream, fixed to many puters that have been riddled with malware/viruses.
Plenty of viruses lurking around the internet and googling for sites on a TV presenter, one 'locked up' my pc. Lost everything on the drive and took two days to get it back up and running again.

Believing viruses and/or spyware exist only within p2p file sharing progs is wrong.

'Safe' internet use is fine......it's simply taking precautions. But that doesn't make you totally invulnerable to viruses etc.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Plenty of viruses lurking around the internet and googling for sites on a TV presenter, one 'locked up' my pc. Lost everything on the drive and took two days to get it back up and running again.

Believing viruses and/or spyware exist only within p2p file sharing progs is wrong.

'Safe' internet use is fine......it's simply taking precautions. But that doesn't make you totally invulnerable to viruses etc.

I fail to see that this comment relates to my earlier post:Doh:

The chances of security breach/infection is far greater using the likes of limewire, frostwire,bearshare and alike.

read this

If your pc locked up whilst googling for a tv presenter, either you have a problem with your pc or maybe your pc was infected ? and if so why didn't you AV protect you?

I n no way do i want to start a p2p debate, its up to you what you want to do ;but IMHO, are best avoided:thumb:
Regards

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I fail to see that this comment relates to my earlier post:Doh:
Which was.....
My advice would be to leave these p2p programs alone, they are full of spyware and viruses.
Which is defining p2p as being soley responsible for viruses and spyware which isn't quite accurate.....and that was the point i made which is relevant to your earlier post.

You can easily bring in a virus through email, quite innocently without even knowing its there straight away. Viruses can be attached to photographs, adverts, pop-ups, websites......you name it and it can possibly be infected.

Having a good av is an essential.....but even the very best av progs are not bullet proof.

The chances of security breach/infection is far greater using the likes of limewire, frostwire,bearshare and alike. [/COLOR]
Bit of a difference between this statement and the previous, "leave these p2p programs alone, they are full of spyware and viruses."

I agree that using p2p can increase the chances of infection etc.....in just the same way as the wide use of internet access will.

The only pc's which won't ever risk infection are those used for no other purpose than a simple word processor, and i dont think there are many people around using pc's like that!

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?

TOTALLY agree there.The amount of "chain" emails sent around also carry a hidden payload.

Just being on the internet is a virtual invite and challenge to any unscrupulous people to try to nause your system up or get the data from it.:Angry:.

Safety all boils down to good PC housekeeping from the owner and running and reacting to any error messages. Reading Firewall and Spyware messages thoroughly and dealing with them in the appropriate manner.:thumb:

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Originally Posted by sinbad1 Link Removed
My advice would be to leave these p2p programs alone, they are full of spyware and viruses.

Which was.....Which is defining p2p as being soley responsible for viruses and spyware which isn't quite accurate.....and that was the point i made which is relevant to your earlier post

How is my quote defining p2p as being soley responsible?:Doh:

You seem to be in denial that p2p programs mentioned are not high risk sites, yes you can get viruses elsewhere i have never indicated otherwise,

Link Removed

Regards

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Safety all boils down to good PC housekeeping from the owner and running and reacting to any error messages. Reading Firewall and Spyware messages thoroughly and dealing with them in the appropriate manner.:thumb:[/quote]

Couldn't agree more :thumb: you missed the vital ingredient Common sense :ROFLMAO:

Regards

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
How is my quote defining p2p as being soley responsible?
As you wrote the quote i assumed you could apply some kind of logic to it.....obviously i was wrong to assume that.

You seem to be in denial that p2p programs mentioned are not high risk sites...
Far from it.
If you read post #15 then you would also have read the following;
I agree that using p2p can increase the chances of infection etc.....in just the same way as the wide use of internet access will.
To use your own term of 'common sense'......which should tell you that viruses/infections/spyware etc can attack any pc making an internet connection.....period. Irrespective of what sites etc the user connects to, no av program or pc user is ever 100% bullet proof.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
TOTALLY agree there.The amount of "chain" emails sent around also carry a hidden payload.

Just being on the internet is a virtual invite and challenge to any unscrupulous people to try to nause your system up or get the data from it.:Angry:.
Absolutely correct AD.

As with most things...you can take precautions, but thats where it ends at. If everyone feared risking virus infections etc then nobody would ever use the internet at all!
If we all feared having an accident, everyone would stay at home behind closed doors and never go out.......only to get scalded by knocking a boiling kettle over! :roflmto:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
As you wrote the quote i assumed you could apply some kind of logic to it.....obviously i was wrong to assume that.
Not logic a well known fact about p2p ;but accept your misinterpetation ::bigsmile:

To use your own term of 'common sense'......which should tell you that viruses/infections/spyware etc can attack any pc making an internet connection.....period. Irrespective of what sites etc the user connects to, no av program or pc user is ever 100% bullet proof.

When i said common sense i was referring to the way in which people use their pc and surf the internet.

Yes i agree you can get malware/viruses in emails websites popups etc ;but surely common sense in these situations should be used.(or click on those at your peril)

In the p2p situation this is a different ball game, you have to download their program usually full of spyware, many wont work if you remove them (What does that tell you?).
Ok ignor that lets open the door and do some file sharing :thumb: ;but hey that file has currupted my pc:cry:and all my mates and thousands that were downloading this file.
My point is that these programs are breading grounds for infected files and since you are giving permission by downloading,chances of infection are far greater than normal surfing.

I guess its the chance you take

regards

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Yes i agree you can get malware/viruses in emails websites popups etc ;but surely common sense in these situations should be used.(or click on those at your peril)
Good.......at last i've finally got through. :Wacko:

But please don't use quotes from your own posts and make them appear that i've made them.
Not logic a well known fact about p2p....but accept your misinterpretation.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Originally Posted by sinbad1 Link Removed

Good.......at last i've finally got through. :Wacko:

You seem to have an inabillity to read a persons thread without misinterpreting what is being said , then posting something entirely different in order to gain the moral high ground.
If you read my posts i have never said that you cant get viruses elsewhere:Doh:
only that p2p programs are very high risk sites for security/viruses and malware issues and in IMO should be avoided.

If you think using p2p poses little or no more a risk of infection than surfing the web then i still think your still in denial.

If you can't see that there's nothing more to be said:helptitanic:

Regards

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Today Pirate Bay (who are in court this week) have placed a cartoon on the front page. Made me laugh. :ROFLMAO:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Today Pirate Bay (who are in court this week) have placed a cartoon on the front page. Made me laugh. :ROFLMAO:

yea made me laugh too and i guess it aplies to lots of other areas over the years, not sure freedom exists anymore.

Not the first to be taken to court just one of many, i have read that several individuals have been heavily fined for breach of copywrite material.

They should have added a camera with big brother is watching you in their cartoon:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back