Wild Atlantic way, a taste of Ireland. (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been there done that, went in June 2010 had a great time even managed 2 weeks without rain. Agree about the roads can be scary at times, once of the main arterial routes they can be bone shakers. Went down one road the door mirrors were in the hedge on both sides.

Some photos in my gallery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Would like to tour Ireland, but the cost of the ferry makes it a rather expensive holiday, combined with unpredictable weather.. can't see it happening.

Also , we are not into pubs or Guinness, so no real attraction bar the scenery, walking etc .. which we have seen in Scotland.. sorry Ireland :(

OP
OP
D
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Agree re: roads, not really MH friendly....
But magic on a bike.
Ferry prices are the killer, crazy..... Same for me.
Cheaper to get to mainland Europe by ferry from Ireland than go to the UK.
If you ain't into Guinness it's a bummer ! .... Music is good in the pubs though...... like every other place I visit, stay away from the 'tourist' bits and find the real place..... then it's a bit special..... that said, it is the same in every country.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I arrive on the 28 April and don't come back until May 28.
Tried to do the Atlantic way in 2014 but for family reasons couldn't,
But still had a couple of weeks around Wicklow and Dublin, beautiful place if the weather plays ball,

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
We're off in August. Got a good deal on the ferry courtesy of Tesco vouchers!

More of a real ale drinker than a Guinness fan, but it does seem to taste better over there. Looking forward v much to the pubs, music and craic!

Steve :)

OP
OP
D
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
What's the camping situation, is it wilding or sites mainly ?
Wilding shouldn't be much of an issue at all.
Stop, pub, ask..... Drink up!.... Sorted !

If any of you are up in the north west and want a stopover then I can sort you out. Hard standing and use of toilet to empty waste and EHU won't be a problem. Water on tap too.
I'm approx 1h40 from Belfast due west in Donegal, about 30 mins from the coast. Few nice pubs nearby, good restaurants and the historic city of Derry is a half hour away.
No charge, maybe someday I will need a favour from you.
PM me, I'll give you details and phone numbers etc.

Jon

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Do they still shoot at The English?? Might try it if they don't. o_Oo_O

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
O yes, especially if you don't drink Guinness (y):whistle:
Ill ward them off you Tootles, no issues !!
Get over here, we'll have a night in McGinleys Bar, great beer, great Music and the craic is mighty !
I only mention that with a certain degree of trepidation. I knew, (distantly), an ex soldier and his friend, who went fishing for a week in The South. They stayed at a small pub. Then one morning, as they set off in their car,....................................BANG. Both killed. :(:(

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
My ex-husbands maternal family came from (I believe) Derry & huge paternal family from Waterford...and I've promised my uni son I will take him back to his familial roots one day...looks like I need to start saving up...my son adores his guinness and real ale...I just adore the Irish...(y)

OP
OP
D
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I only mention that with a certain degree of trepidation. I knew, (distantly), an ex soldier and his friend, who went fishing for a week in The South. They stayed at a small pub. Then one morning, as they set off in their car,....................................BANG. Both killed. :(:(
Yeah, it happened Tootles.
Knew a few British soldiers who died here.
Also knew 2 of the Omagh Bomb victims.
Things massively changed tootles, lots of British here, both visiting and living here, especially since the recession where a nice 3 bed semi can be had for €50K and a 4 bed detached for less than €100K....lots here.
I am 4 mile from the NI border, the bombs shook our home often, and we got "used" to it.... sounds so strange now, doesn't it? My family grew up not knowing "the troubles".... great, it doesn't compute with them.

No issues, get over here, you'll enjoy it, people genuinely friendly and the sterling/euro exchange rate is now brilliant !

OP
OP
D
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
My ex-husbands maternal family came from (I believe) Derry & huge paternal family from Waterford...and I've promised my uni son I will take him back to his familial roots one day...looks like I need to start saving up...my son adores his guinness and real ale...I just adore the Irish...(y)
Derry is one of the most genuine and friendly cities in Ireland, but some pubs/areas are still a no go for British as they associate them with the 72 bloody Sunday incident..... but the areas are small.
But it isn't, in reality, an issue at all.

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
I am going for the football, world cup qualifier, then 2 weeks touring. If we win may not be enough Guinness in Ireland, if we lose, be a great holiday anyway. Been loads of times to Swords in Dublin, but now touring the rest, hopefully from Cork to the Giants Causeway, but Guinness may stop travel.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's on our list - maybe later this year but more likely next. Martin's family are part Irish and we want to get across to look into the records and see if we can find any cousins.

With the ferry costing so much it will have to be at least a month of not a 6 week trip! That will leave time for the kayaking as well :)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yeah, it happened Tootles.
Knew a few British soldiers who died here.
Also knew 2 of the Omagh Bomb victims.
Things massively changed tootles, lots of British here, both visiting and living here, especially since the recession where a nice 3 bed semi can be had for €50K and a 4 bed detached for less than €100K....lots here.
I am 4 mile from the NI border, the bombs shook our home often, and we got "used" to it.... sounds so strange now, doesn't it? My family grew up not knowing "the troubles".... great, it doesn't compute with them.

No issues, get over here, you'll enjoy it, people genuinely friendly and the sterling/euro exchange rate is now brilliant !
Good show. My sister in law has a place in Donegal, often been offered a visit, but never to sure........(y)(y)

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
Travelled the East and West coast 20 years or so ago, by car, stayed in B & B's. Absolutely fantastic - the scenery, the people, the Guinness, everything. Been contemplating a return trip for a while. Maybe next year.

Jan 23, 2013
Mold
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
This week we have just returned from Ireland following the Wild Alantic Way, travelling from Achill Island down to Dingle in County Kerry. I have to say, it is one of the best trips we have ever had. In the 2 weeks we wild camped most nights, staying in some impressive and spectacular places, in fact we used just 3 campsites just to fill with water and dump toilets at a cost of 20e a night.
Without a doubt the Irish are one of the most accomadating, friendly and helpful group of people we have come across.
Yes the cost of the ferry is a concern and we used our Tesco vouchers to help keep the price down and I agree the high price the ferry companies demand is a concern and needs to be addressed.
I know we were very lucky with the weather and we saw the country in a fantastic light, however the raw beauty and ruggedness of the country would be impressive no matter what the weather.
A few weeks ago I put a post out asking about the forum Safe Night Ireland but got no response, so I gambled and joined. We only used it twice, once for free with no facilities, and once for 13e including electric. Although this was good to have as back up, with the opportunity of so many spectacular wild camping sites I don't think I would bother again.
Some have commented on the width and state of the roads, particularly potholes, but we did not find any of this an issue. As long as you took it steady, not only did you miss the pot holes you saw more of the fantastic scenery.
If you are having any doubts I suggest that you give it a go and sod the expense and you will have a fantastic time.
If any one wants more info on routes etc just contact us
Timbow

Last edited:
OP
OP
D
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
So glad you enjoyed it...
I told you so !
Ireland is beautiful, reason why I never left !
Come on the rest of you..... promise you'll like it .

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
This is the irish motorhome forum http://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/

We joined when we went 2 years ago. Found it particularly useful for wildcamping and aires, they have more than we do and is some nice places. we loved Donhagadee and Donegal harbour car park. as well as a few pubs and a couple of campsites.

We went from Dublin around the North to Donegal, had a nice time saw some great views but weather was abit mixed and beware - its not cheap, we compared it to a similar holiday in Britanny and brittany was a good 20% cheaper. We are 120 miles from Holyhead and 250 miles from Dover but the ferries, fuel, admission prices
do mount up. shortsighted IMHO.

Jon

OP
OP
D
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
This is the irish motorhome forum http://www.motorhomecraic.com/forum/

We joined when we went 2 years ago. Found it particularly useful for wildcamping and aires, they have more than we do and is some nice places. we loved Donhagadee and Donegal harbour car park. as well as a few pubs and a couple of campsites.

We went from Dublin around the North to Donegal, had a nice time saw some great views but weather was abit mixed and beware - its not cheap, we compared it to a similar holiday in Britanny and brittany was a good 20% cheaper. We are 120 miles from Holyhead and 250 miles from Dover but the ferries, fuel, admission prices
do mount up. shortsighted IMHO.

Jon
Yes, motorhome craic is an excellent forum.
Costs can be a real issue as any "touristy" town tend to ramp up prices during the season.
Trick is to move inland a bit, and for supplies use the bigger chains like Lidl,Aldi,Tesco,Supervalu etc.
Restaurants can be expensive but lots of reasonably priced places too..... the biggest cost is a drink..... can be really expensive in some pubs were a pint could be €5.00.... but again it's all about local knowledge and where to go which obviously isn't open to visitors.

But the real killer is the ferries, extortionate prices to get here from the UK..... if you can hack that then it's well worth the visit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back