Anyone want to travel Europe. (1 Viewer)

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
I am setting off to travel Europe with some friends. They have their own panel vans with mattresses in! I have so much space it seems a shame to travel without giving someone else a chance? Do you think wise to take an unknown free spirit or go alone?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I'd go alone rather than with a stranger. You will probably be providing the facilities of your van to the others anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
A very generous offer Justice. People are always wary about things like this, I assume you will get to meet first and veto any "undesirable" companions !?!?!? (Or they you !!)
If this were an open site, you would have standing room only !!!
Good luck and enjoy your tour..
Mitch..

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Some one would be in for a treat in that Van of yours. :Smile:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Do you really want a stranger sharing your MH, is it for added company or shared costs...If your serious look on the sister site or advertise on www.trailmates.co.uk

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
What a lovely gesture. I hope you find someone and have some wonderful memory making adventures. Go well! ( african saying which I like and seems apt) .

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
It all depends on your choice of companion !
If you can find a tolerant ,open minded,buxom,well heeled free spirit who likes a drink or two,cleans is fluent in multiple languages and cooks a hearty meal......... YESSSSSSSSSS !

Go for it.

If not a dog may be a safer bet.

Vlad

OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
do it with your trusted friends never share your van with any one unless you know them and there habits
bill
I was trying to find what others think. The negatives out balance the positives. If a problem even after vetting can't just throw them out. If I meet a traveller on route would be difficult to join too. I have been robbed by someone I let in my home so could happen but most of all I like my own space... And snore!

OP
OP
Justice

Justice

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
It all depends on your choice of companion !
If you can find a tolerant ,open minded,buxom,well heeled free spirit who likes a drink or two,cleans is fluent in multiple languages and cooks a hearty meal......... YESSSSSSSSSS !

Go for it.

If not a dog may be a safer bet.

Vlad
Damn! Just changed my mind! Send her around!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
If she has a sister ?......... A European tour sounds FUN !!
Tea Bag.
PS Justice,will you tell my wife ?........ AFTER we have left !!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
sorry Justice i am a bit confused! ( not that that is difficult for me:rolleyes: ) i understood your OP to indicate you were going to travel and were considering taking an unknown free spirit.

clearly i got that wrong :rolleyes: as you had already clearly made up your mind from poor experiences prior to making you post.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have an 8m MH, after a couple of weeks that isn't big enough sometimes and we have been married for 34 years, my recommendation is go as you have planned, enjoy the company of your friends and your own space in the van (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Do you think wise to take an unknown free spirit or go alone?

"unknown" "free spirit".

A bit like Russian Roulette with an automatic.

Tricky even with a close friend in such a small space.

That's The Boring Olde Farte Opinion.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
sorry Justice i am a bit confused! ( not that that is difficult for me:rolleyes: ) i understood your OP to indicate you were going to travel and were considering taking an unknown free spirit.

clearly i got that wrong :rolleyes: as you had already clearly made up your mind from poor experiences prior to making you post.

Thinking out loud. It's directly about MHs and a thought provoking idea. One of today's better posts.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I was trying to find what others think. The negatives out balance the positives. If a problem even after vetting can't just throw them out. If I meet a traveller on route would be difficult to join too. I have been robbed by someone I let in my home so could happen but most of all I like my own space... And snore!
I once travild from the uk to Timbuktu through Mauritania across the sharia with a friend sharing a land rover and tent there was three vehicles in the convoy six of us all best of friend's life long frend's
the guy a travailed with we haven't spoken from the day we got back.
same for the other two party's in the group.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am far to selfish to put up with anyone's company in my van -I like to please myself as to what I do and when (y)
Having said that I have just returned from a quick 3 day trip to Benidorm driving back in a van with my mate Mitch and I would have no hesitation taking him with me on a long jaunt anywhere -We had a blast :Dand although I said above I am prob to selfish we were both easy going with each other (y)and cannot wait until Dave finds us another van to bring back :D

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am setting off to travel Europe with some friends. They have their own panel vans with mattresses in! I have so much space it seems a shame to travel without giving someone else a chance? Do you think wise to take an unknown free spirit or go alone?
If you are happy just to entertain the question then it could well work and be a lot better than travelling alone, if that's the alternative.

I think the important thing is to have a common aim - why are you travelling? And meet them for a drink or several before you both decide.

It's not unknown in the cycle touring world for strangers to meet up on line and set off together, though it's a lot easier to split up if you both have your own wheels!

There was a thread here last year on whether you would let a stranger use the toilet in your MH. It went on for pages and some very strong views expressed. If that sort of thing worries you then perhaps taking a relative stranger on board might be a challenge too far. :)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If you are happy just to entertain the question then it could well work and be a lot better than travelling alone, if that's the alternative.

I think the important thing is to have a common aim - why are you travelling? And meet them for a drink or several before you both decide.

It's not unknown in the cycle touring world for strangers to meet up on line and set off together, though it's a lot easier to split up if you both have your own wheels!

There was a thread here last year on whether you would let a stranger use the toilet in your MH. It went on for pages and some very strong views expressed. If that sort of thing worries you then perhaps taking a relative stranger on board might be a challenge too far. :)
I remember that thread almost lost the will to live :confused::sleep:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There was a thread here last year on whether you would let a stranger use the toilet in your MH

"No" from me, MH toilets are so different from normal ones it's a big ask and very tricky to instruct anyone in the fine details.

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
@Justice It maybe an idea to meet someone who has their own moho at a Funster rally...see how you get on over a period of time..then go together, but in convoy, so you both still have your wheels and can part company if your snoring is too loud....simples!(y)

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I have previously asked this very same question myself, with similar answers given and I decided to join Trailmates to see how things went, very little of anything there and I do know that it is affiliated to this forum.

I had thought that a 50/50 share of the expenses involved would obviously help but I suppose the reality of being lucky enough to find a fellow traveller who meets with all expectations is perhaps a little unlikely.

For completely unrelated reasons I had to give up on the idea but it is still buzzing around in my mind, one day maybe.

A very interesting post and I shall watch with interest.

Norman.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back