weymard

Free Member
Jan 25, 2009
CHERBOURG NORMANDY
Funster No
MH
US TRUCK CAMPER
Exp
:thumb: In some words, you can use your British system everywhere in Europe ! But no precision about US system... as usual !
European directive !

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Can someone simply explain what the difference is between the British and American A frames please.

If safety is the issue our Roadmaster A frame and Brakemaster braking system are the dogs b's, the only problem and I don't see it solved with either the British or French system is NOT being able to reverse.

Our system has several steel back-up cables should the steel frame fail and the braking system operated via the RVs air brakes has an air reservoir connected to a steel breakaway cable should the vehicles separate.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Jim we met a Frenchman with a Caratow A Frame on our last trip, and he came over here and had it fitted. I asked him if it was OK, and had he had any problems. He is very pleased with it, and said what all frenchman say.......................NO PROBLEM.Bob.:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If safety is the issue our Roadmaster A frame and Brakemaster braking system are the dogs b's, the only problem and I don't see it solved with either the British or French system is NOT being able to reverse.

Hi Mick

are you saying it's impossible or just difficult ?

I have little experience with the A frame but plenty pulling a fully legal trailer which is very difficult to reverse due to the length of the RV and the big overhang.. I practised often but could rarely go more than a few meters before it started to jack knife, so while it was technically possible it was very difficult. Invariably it was much easier just to un hitch and manhandle .. several people on here have said they can reverse their A frame short distances ..
Construction and Use regs for trailers doesn't say how far or under what conditions only that it should be able to do so, so if it can be reversed a few meters in my mind that would satisfy the regulations.

Personally I would prefer to un hitch and drive it if need be rather than risk damaging the steering or wheel bearings ..

This has been discussed at length on many forums, just Google A-Frame..

The point of the post was to illustrate that the French are now using the A Frame, hopefully this is a step forward in having them recognised by the EU as a legal way of transporting a car with all wheels on the ground... but I don't hold my breath.. the Spanish have already legislated against. :RollEyes:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I've tried reversing mine in the states and never managed more than a few feet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
camped next to the frenchman who owns the jattel a frame company . he was in larache maroc. he says he has obtained homolagation papers for it to be legal in france . looks like a caratow .spoke to him march 2009. i usean old intertrade bumper mnt type not good on modern cars but has paid for itself man y times over the last 20 yrs , as used by aa,rac years ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back