Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Has anyone fitted an extra fuel tank to their van ?
Mines a 2004 ducato and I'd like to have another fitted,is this possible and any ideas of rough cost for a garage to fit.
I'm aware that it will eat into my payload but we travel light !

Vlad

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
As a bio burner I always fitted an extra tank to give the extra range. A good one to fit is from the Freight Rover pick up truck as its long but not too deep. A couple of hours labour should do it.

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Snowbird,am I right in thinking you just fill through the same filler point and the two tanks are connected sharing the existing fuel pump ?

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
As a bio burner I always fitted an extra tank to give the extra range. A good one to fit is from the Freight Rover pick up truck as its long but not too deep. A couple of hours labour should do it.
the older LDV pick up is the same as my fright rover tank leaked and I fitted a LDV one in it's place almost exactly the same
bill

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thanks Snowbird,am I right in thinking you just fill through the same filler point and the two tanks are connected sharing the existing fuel pump ?

Vlad

No. I found the easiest way is a separate filler for the extra tank. Pipe the second tank into the breather pipe on the original tank with a small 12 volt pump in line with switch in cab. When main tank is down to a quarter throw the switch and blow the auxiliary tank into the main tank.
This way you only need the existing fuel gauge.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If I actually decide to buy a new chausson 610 then I will add a tank for only red diesel for the heater. I do not see paying road fuel tax on burning diesel oil when it only has 5% VAT for it when used as burning oil. It would only need a few gallons to last a week or so. A minor rerouting of the fuel line to the heater would be needed as they have there own pump.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
If I actually decide to buy a new chausson 610 then I will add a tank for only red diesel for the heater. I do not see paying road fuel tax on burning diesel oil when it only has 5% VAT for it when used as burning oil. It would only need a few gallons to last a week or so. A minor rerouting of the fuel line to the heater would be needed as they have there own pump.

Not sure of the make of your new diesel heater, but Webasto will reject warranty if run on red. I was told that by one of their dealers.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Begs the question....WHY ?

Are fuel stations closing down that fast you need extra range between them ?

You should have a 70 ltr tank giving 300 miles at least.
Very good point. I specified the 120 litre tank on ours, seemed like a good idea at the time but I am pushed to come up with a convincing justification, although it didn't cost a lot as a Fiat fitted extra.

It just means a typical cost of a visit to a pump is £100. :eek:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Begs the question....WHY ?

Are fuel stations closing down that fast you need extra range between them ?

You should have a 70 ltr tank giving 300 miles at least.

On quite a few of our jobs when we run out of red for the excavators we use white diesel .At the end of the job whats left is mine,so goes in the Mh .I always manage to head off on the outward leg with a full free tank so in theory I could get 600 miles for nowt!

Vlad

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like a plan then.
But how often do you get a free tank of fuel compered to the outlay of a second tank and associated pipework/fitting costs etc.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned informing your insurance!:LOL:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Very good point. I specified the 120 litre tank on ours, seemed like a good idea at the time but I am pushed to come up with a convincing justification, although it didn't cost a lot as a Fiat fitted extra.

It just mean a typical cost of a visit to a pump is £100.

I have that option on my x250 as well, would not have a van without it to be honest. Can fill up in Luxemburg and less stops on route when touring. Far more relaxing.

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I can easily get a tank a month so vans always full when we go anywhere with a drum waiting for when we get back.So if it were a few hundred quid or so it would easily pay for itself.

Vlad

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have the 120 litre tank on ours............ I love it! we get a minimum of 800 miles before the low fuel light even thinks about coming on :D It does allow us to buy fuel at the best price or simply make fewer stops, however a 'big fill' in the UK does hurt the wallet as Devonbeekeeper says :eek:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I looked at a mercedes MH , some years back, built on an 814 chassis cab for overland use that had a 1000l tank .:)

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
I think you'll find if you run red through the tank and then use white it leaves a stain, if the cops dip you, you'll have a problem, we use red for our farm vehicles but don't let it anywhere near any of our road going diesels

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is there a larger tank available for the x244 as it would be easier to change a tank than fit an additional one.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The reason I always fitted a long range tank was that my vehicles all run bio. The bonus being I could take advantage of cheap European fuel when running home. Why do you think all continental trucks have 1000 ltr fuel tanks. Bio diesel is becoming available now in Spain, I noticed some the other day at 85cents per litre.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Not sure of the make of your new diesel heater, but Webasto will reject warranty if run on red. I was told that by one of their dealers.
Bollocks to them, there is no difference only the tax It is added at the gate off the refinery so that it goes out reduced tax,, Some dealers are total tits.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Bollocks to them, there is no difference only the tax It is added at the gate off the refinery so that it goes out reduced tax,, Some dealers are total tits.

It wasn't a MH dealer it was a Webasto trained engineer. Their salesman had sold Dualtops to a cabin hire company who ran them on red. The burners fouled regularly, Webasto rejected warranty claims.
It also says vehicle fuel in the installation and handbook so continue at your risk.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I wonder if the Webasto would run on heating oil? It's basically parafine /kerosene so a poor lubricant for pumps if they are not designed for it. Could be an expensive experiment!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Reminds me of a MH I bought years ago. Had a 2nd diesel tank on the opposite side but no filler. Piped to a manifold in the double floor only accessible from inside . You could use either one or both. Bloke ran it on red in 2nd tank & regaled me with how many times he'd been stopped & dipped as they were sure he was running on red but couldn't prove it.

I bought it & put in a 2nd external filler as was going to use for touring Europe . We' d sold house & were staying at my parents when they obviously spotted it one day & went along door knocking to find the owner , me !! :)
bloke thought he was going to get me for using red , & was regaling me with story about how long they 'd been after the other bloke & how I was going to end up prosecuted instead. :LOL:
Had to let him down gently that I'd had over 1000L of white through it before I'd installed the external filler. :LOL: & I also couldn't give a monkeys as I was leaving the country that day.:D
They were even going to test it for a 3 x as he couldn't believe it didn't test positive, until I told him he'd better leave. Lol
It would test + these days as they now use far better testing apparatus, + sniffers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back