BAtoo

Free Member
Jul 27, 2014
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi,
I'm new here & my first post other than a "Hello".
After years of sailing & cruising (& other changes in my life) I've decided to part with the boat & am thinking about a motorhome to tour for holidays.
Uncharacteristically I'm thinking of hiring before buying to make sure we both enjoy it. I'm Suffolk based and I'm thinking of hiring somewhere in Kent and going to France for a week in April - does that sound overly ambitious?
I've driven large vans (Sprinters etc) many times & driven in Europe a lot. I'm also used to holidaying & living on a boat in a fairly confined space. My French is good enough to get by for holiday matters.
My OH is less experienced in these things and is a little apprehensive... especially about the French loos!!!
I've had a quote from Motorholme hire and it seems OK - has anyone used them/know them or aware of their reputation?
So is this a daft idea?
Thanks in advance.
Roger

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you hire a van in the UK and want to take it across the channel they will charge silly money for additional insurance.
We hired a couple of times before buying, hired in Germany as costs are far lower & no cross boarder restrictions on insurance.

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Roger,

Not a daft idea at all although I can't speak about hiring because we just bought outright as we knew we were going to enjoy it.
Having camped around in France previously we headed there, and got as far as Gibralter even though I had never driven more than a family car.
You have to be a little adaptable shall we say to the french standards of hygiene around Aires etc but it soon becomes a way of life.

Have fun.
Norman.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've had a quote from Motorholme hire and it seems OK - has anyone used them/know them or aware of their reputation?

We hired from them once before we bought our first van. No problems at all.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't know about your firm but John's Cross who sponsor this site are as genuine as it gets.

There is a small danger, you hire one and don't like but if you'd hired a different one you would have been sold on the idea.

It's essential to sit in as many MHs as you can when choosing, there are so many subtle differences.

Good luck, boats are good but MHs get you to many more places.

PS French loos, some of them, are grim but you'll be taking yours with you. And even with no French you'd survive just fine. Go on, do it.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Good idea to try before you buy. You could buy a cheapie to test the concept, We did and sold it a no loss, they hold their price.
Now on our third van.
Phil

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
We hired for a fortnight in France last year from Landcruise who were fine. Weather was poor the first week and it certainly focused our attention on what we didnt like with the dinette layout. We are hiring again this year having decided on the layout (Bailey 730/Autotrail Tracker RB) and will hopefully be in a better place when the time comes to buy next year. As already mentioned go to dealers/show and sit in as many as you can.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think Motorholme are private owners who hire out using Motorholme as an agent? No entirely sure though.

If you are intending to go to France I would suggest you hire in France and get a LHD.

Hiring first is a great idea though.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Yee'll be dooooomed I tell you!:eek:

We hired a clapped out, worn out knackered old 'van in NZ and as soon as we got back we spent a chunk of the kids inheritance on a 'van.

Don't do it.;) You'll enjoy it so much you'll be throwing money at a 'van as soon as you get back.(y)(y)(y)

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Few years ago we had a similar dilemma, so bought an old (93) hymer to give it a go, kept it for 2 years toured europe sold it on for more than we paid. Gave us a good grounding to then buy another to suit our needs.
Im in Harwich so just across the water from you and i see from your avatar that you are a fellow cyclist?

Upvote 0

Nick W

Free Member
Mar 5, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
2020 Tribute T680
Exp
5 years inc 5 wishes in NZ
We hired exactly the van we intended to buy, to try it for real. We hired from West's in Essex. It was the perfect opportunity to prove it was a valid choice. Would recommend hiring before buying to anyone. You hear so many folk changing their new van after a short while because they didn't do sufficient research. We will collect the new Tribute 670 next week.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BAtoo

BAtoo

Free Member
Jul 27, 2014
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thanks all for your replies.
Cant get the hang of multi-quotes so a series of answers...
I'm not quite in the position to buy just yet (few weeks hopefully/maybe) & we have some hols booked so feel it's the time to give it a try.
I'm not worried about French facilities - I've worked in Eastern Europe on farms as an adviser so I've used worse!! And we'll have our own on board & there's plenty of hedges...
I'll give Johns Cross a call but they don't have a low-profile 2B listed on their website which is what I want to try as that's what I think we'll be after.
I'm sure throwing money at a 'van is no worse than throwing money at a boat....
Yes, I'm a cyclist - the avatar was last year on a ride from Cherbourg to Esjberg for charity. Unfortunately this year I'm finding it hard to do as much as I would like without the impending challenge.

Thanks again - I'm sure I'll be back :)

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We hired from Abacus on the south coast a couple of times. Knew what we wanted and bought something totally different. Useful company though.
That's who we used, hired from them many times, £90 surcharge for 2 weeks in Europe, I didn't think that was bad. Anyway, we ended up buying our van from them, so we won't be hiring from them now.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Re the loos ... yes there are naff ones wherever and whenever BUT 9 x out of 10 the public/ café loos in France these days are 'English' toilets not the holes in the ground they used to have almost everywhere.

Seats however, aren't universal !

Sometimes on campsites or on motorway rest areas with a row of doors the first however many will be 'footmark' ones and the last couple, English ones. Loo paper - not always. Go prepared with a couple of tissues in the pocket, in case.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BAtoo

BAtoo

Free Member
Jul 27, 2014
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Lack of seats wont be a problem as I don't think she ever uses them except at home - something her Mother told her I believe !!!!:D
Good point about the location of the "English" loos in a row - we'll see if it holds.
I expect the 'van loo will get a good trial.......

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back