How do you choose a camera? (1 Viewer)

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
:eek::eek::eek::eek: I have been studying the reviews on Nikon Coolpix P7800 on Jessops, John Lewis and umpteen photographic magazines - and now I'm totally confused. Do I want fast action shots (then I need the Canon G16). Am I bothered that the P7800 doesn't have WiFi. Is there anything else I should consider? Is it okay to buy online without handling it?
Any suggestions please.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have a G16 for the times when I can't use an SLR and I can't recommend it highly enough. You have the same modes that you have on an SLR from full auto to full manual, built in wifi, the battery lasts forever. It's a great bit of kit. But that's just my opinion and for all that it couldn't replace a full frame SLR.
It really depends what you want to do with it.

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Hi; I think that £349 is a lot of money to spend on a camera if you have those questions. I would spend a lot less than that, ( maybe £200 less) learn how to take photographs, so that it seems to be second nature, and then maybe buy a camera with more "bells and whistles"
regards
alan b

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
As with all technology I have difficulty in keeping up. I have a Pentax P30 with a couple of Tokina lenses but as you can tell I haven't used it for ages. I want something better than a 'point and shoot' but, quite frankly, don't know where to go.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You won't learn anything useful with a 100 quid point and shoot junk camera. The G16 IMO is a good option to learn how to use a proper camera. It's a compact, so small and relatively cheap, but mimics an SLR in modes and features. The most important thing to learn is how to control and use shutter speed, aperture and white balance and how they affect each other. You can't do that if your camera won't let you.

And you can get it for £334 from Wex (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Jessops also have it for £334. Perhaps I'd better try and get to Norwich and compare a few cameras.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You won't learn anything useful with a 100 quid point and shoot junk camera.

Most of the old master photographers working with monochrome plates, who produced photographs stunning to this day, would not agree with you.

KISS with a 12x or more zoom and enjoy the images.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Most of the old master photographers working with monochrome plates, who produced photographs stunning to this day, would not agree with you.

KISS with a 12x or more zoom and enjoy the images.

They probably would actually. They had to set everything up manually which is something every serious photographer needs to know how to do. Shooting film instead of digital is a great way to get rid of bad habits because you never know what you are going to get until you process the film so the encouragement is there to do things properly and that's always fully manual apart from I use my digital camera for metering and then set the film camera based on that. I love it.

Also forget zoom unless you're doing something that really needs it - I use a giant one for my rugby stuff but only for that. For everyday walking around a 50mm prime is the way to go especially with film.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Jessops also have it for £334. Perhaps I'd better try and get to Norwich and compare a few cameras.
Hi from a fellow Norfolk resident. I think you will find that there is no Jessops in Norwich anymore , the one in Chapelfield is certainly closed, try Norwich Camera Centre in Timberhill,,or John Lewis in Allsaints Green, that's where I bought my Canon SX50 from, and they price match.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
For everyday walking around a 50mm prime is the way to go especially with film.

For the benefit of "non-photographers" I'll point out that "50mm prime" just means "the single fixed lens you would get with every camera before compact zoom lenses were common".

Yes it gets you the best average performance but that's all.

You need wide angle when you are in that stately home, you need telephoto to capture that boat sailing past or that bird on a rock, so we'll disagree on this one.

My credentials are in my signature link, hardly any taken with a 50mm lens.

I have two old digital cameras.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ6 with a 12x zoom. Fits a pocket and amazing performance. The new version has more zoom.

Fuji Finepix HS20. Well out of date but still 30x zoom, through lens viewing and all the manual control I need. Nice big handful.

In my opinion the latest cameras all all full of stupid extras to impress people who do not know what they are doing.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
For everyday walking around a 50mm prime is the way to go especially with film.

I agree... apart from long distance nature or sports shots, a good 50mm prime will beat most telephotos for quality.. hands down.. telephoto makes you lazy ..

After years of lugging around a Nikon SLR and a bag of glass I sold the lot and bought a Fuji X100S .. I love this camera. and it goes everywhere, the quality of the images is stunning..

I won't go on, read Ken Rockwell's review and what he has to say about telephoto

Zoom Lens

Fixed lenses take better pictures than zooms, which is why pros favor fast fixed lenses like the one on the X100S. Zoom lenses are mostly a crutch for selling to uncreative amateurs who don't know how to zoom with their feet.

Even if you can't zoom with your feet, no problem. The X100S has so much sharpness and resolution that it's trivial to crop the image to the equivalent of a 105mm lens and still have more than enough resolution for anything.

If you want wide, no problem again: just use the swept panorama mode, which gives 180º 21 MP images with less distortion and therefore more resolution than any fisheye on a DSLR!

would you call these photos 'average' ?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x100s.htm

Last edited:

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
It really depends what you want to do with it.

"What camera ?" Everybody comes up with their own perceived answer, but the one above by Nick is the most important.
Ask the question of any group of people and you'll end up with a long list, and be none the wiser. It will always be an individual choice. My advice is to simply buy "What camera" or similar publication, study it carefully, make a short list dependent on what YOU want it for, then browse the reviews on line. It takes time - no shortcuts! But much better to do that than to start with any given camera, no matter how highly recommended by their owners, and looking to see if THEIR choice is the one for you.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Be aware that you'll get as many different suggestions as there are photographers on this forum - it's a very partisan subject, as you've doubtless noticed in all the reviews you've read.

The camera you're looking at offers 28mm wide angle up to 200mm telephoto (4x optical magnification) so if that's the lens range you've previously been happy with on your Pentax SLR and you don't need to change the lenses then fine, go for a high-end compact.

If you enjoyed the lens-changing flexibility of an SLR, you might consider buying a DSLR (D = "Digital") body, a suitable adapter ring (£7+) and using your old Tokina lenses on your digital camera body until you've settled into it. There is a thriving market of DSLR users buying old 35mm lenses and adapters - it helps pay my bills.

As for buying online - you're covered by the distance selling regulations which allow a 14 day return for any reason, a bit like a cooling off period when you buy double glazing. If you're not happy after a fortnight and it's undamaged then you can send it back.

I've been taking photos since I was about 12, on film and on digital. I also sell vintage cameras and lenses and speak with a lot of older camera enthusiasts who wax lyrical about the glories of film and film processing. Having heard it all many times over I still personally prefer digital for sheer convenience, but like I say it's a very partisan subject.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Fixed lenses take better pictures than zooms, which is why pros favor fast fixed lenses like the one on the X100S. Zoom lenses are mostly a crutch for selling to uncreative amateurs who don't know how to zoom with their feet.

Quite agree. I have a Canon 100-400 L series zoom lens that I use for my rugby work. It's a great lens and bloody expensive but I would much much rather have the 400mm f2.8 prime. The only problem is that it's about 7 times more expensive than the zoom :(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

You need wide angle when you are in that stately home, you need telephoto to capture that boat sailing past or that bird on a rock, so we'll disagree on this one.

It gets you the best performance full stop, not the best average.

Yes, you will need to carry more than one lens but that the price you pay for the image quality. I have a 20mm, a 50mm and an 85mm in my bag and I would dearly love a long prime as well but can't justify the huge cost.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ken Rockwell: "Zoom lenses are mostly a crutch for selling to uncreative amateurs who don't know how to zoom with their feet."

Since when has the camera equipment had anything to do with the creativity or talent of the photographer? That statement is classic kit snobbery.

There are plenty of duffers strutting around festooned with expensive fixed lenses and plenty of good photographers quietly using consumer level zoom lenses.

Link Removed
Puffin spotting on Skomer Island

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
How vintage? Do you have a website or eBay shop?

Early 20th century onwards for cameras, bellows, box, brown leather cased, SLR bodies etc. Lenses are usually 35mm. You're welcome to PM me with a wants list or a query if you have one, but I don't like linking to the eBay shop from Fun as it's a commercial venture.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It gets you the best performance full stop, not the best average.

Yes, you will need to carry more than one lens but that the price you pay for the image quality. I have a 20mm, a 50mm and an 85mm in my bag and I would dearly love a long prime as well but can't justify the huge cost.

It's obvious you are an enthusiast who know his stuff and I agree with everything you say about lenses and cameras for an enthusiast.

I'm arguing the case for the average FUNster who wants to record his/her travels.

I come from 35mm, with a bag of lenses, though I did buy a long Pentax zoom when I could afford it.

Today most pictures are taken with the TZ6 because it's so convenient to carry especially on two wheels. I am amazed at how usable 12X optical plus 4X digital when I want to capture something I can barely see, not top quality but usable for record purposes.

I much prefer the Fuji because it handles so much like a good old 35mm SLR. Something to get hold of.

I hate composing on a screen, most of the time, I wish I could find a compact, affordable digital with proper viewfinder. Now I'm annoyed, this thread leads to just the camera I want but, oh, the price.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/ca.../compact-cameras/panasonic-lf1-1146420/review

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Join the 21st century........... get a 4k camcorder and take stills from it, best of both worlds.......:reel:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Since when has the camera equipment had anything to do with the creativity or talent of the photographer? That statement is classic kit snobbery.

There are plenty of duffers strutting around festooned with expensive fixed lenses and plenty of good photographers quietly using consumer level zoom lenses.

yes I agree 100% .. it's not the camera that maketh the picture but the man behind the viewfinder.. I think that is a 'given'

Recently I have seen some great photos taken with relatively cheap smart phones..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Recently I have seen some great photos taken with relatively cheap smart phones..

There are a lot of articles in the magazines at the moment along the lines of "why bother with several thousand pounds worth of SLR and lens when you can do this with an iPhone"

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Christmas this year my wife bought me a Fuji X100T (aways wanted one ) having been taking photo's most of my life ( at one stage could have gone professional ). The camera is a "retro" as you can get look wise and I have been asked loads of times when using it was it an "old style" film camera? The images are great and it connects to PC/macbook/printer or phone wirelessly. The really nice thing is it can be made totally silent and for me this is great for "street photography"
Granted for many this will be over the top, but I love taking photo's so enjoying every minute.
Examples:
cat3.jpg

girl.jpg

man.jpg

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
There are a lot of articles in the magazines at the moment along the lines of "why bother with several thousand pounds worth of SLR and lens when you can do this with an iPhone"

Very true and as phone "camera" gets more advanced they will kill the handheld camera off, but for many it's like reading a paperback book is better than reading a kindle. "horses for courses"

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
:eek::eek::eek::eek: I have been studying the reviews on Nikon Coolpix P7800 on Jessops, John Lewis and umpteen photographic magazines - and now I'm totally confused. Do I want fast action shots (then I need the Canon G16). Am I bothered that the P7800 doesn't have WiFi. Is there anything else I should consider? Is it okay to buy online without handling it?
Any suggestions please.

Also have a look at the Canon S120 - this is what I was using until I got my christmas present.....
http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/reviews/compact-cameras/canon-powershot-s120-review

I would always recommend you go and get "hands on" any camera and play with it for a while. Buying on line is fine after you have seen/touched/used the model you like.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Christmas this year my wife bought me a Fuji X100T (aways wanted one ) having been taking photo's most of my life ( at one stage could have gone professional ). The camera is a "retro" as you can get look wise and I have been asked loads of times when using it was it an "old style" film camera? The images are great and it connects to PC/macbook/printer or phone wirelessly. The really nice thing is it can be made totally silent and for me this is great for "street photography"
Granted for many this will be over the top, but I love taking photo's so enjoying every minute.

the new model of my X100s .. also enjoy taking street photos with it.. (y)

also been asked if it uses film.. :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back