Mars and Venus (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So, we have agreed to go away at the end of April, France is the destination, partly on the back of a recently purchased frequent user channel ticket and the lure of The Twin Lakes meet in early May

Much discussion has taken place regarding where we are going, and a reference made by me relaying the thread about 'whats so good about aires'

So tonight, crossing confirmed, I say, what do you think about visiting the aires mentioned in that thread as part of the trip, seemed like a half decent idea to me, use other peoples knowledge and experiences, after all most of them quoted their favourite all time aires. I am thinking it would make an interesting thread on its own as well

Bevs face was a picture of drooping bottom lip, whats up says I, we are going to the Twin Lakes Rally said she, we are says I, but only for a few nights as part of the whole trip, Oh says she

Now that 'Oh' was the type that most married men will know means you have got it wrong (again)

We have now rediscussed and kind of agree that we did both partake in the whole discussion, it just seems to be what I said didn't get heard, and what Bev said apparently didn't matter. Bevs version, or can I call it interpretation. was a crossing belt down to Twin Lakes then belt back, mine was crossing, dawdle down to Twin Lakes over 5 days, stay for 3 days dawdle back over the remaining 6 days, apparently the same conversation :LOL:

Now I don't want you lot to make the decision, I reckon it would just come down to how many female replies I get, those all siding with Bev, the outcome will become clear in the a new thread to be started soon

Maybe the thread title could be discussed here, not the route

How about, Twin Lakes via Mars and Venus

departing 26th April by tunnel, returning 11th May is just about the only thing set so far :)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
So, we have agreed to go away at the end of April, France is the destination, partly on the back of a recently purchased frequent user channel ticket and the lure of The Twin Lakes meet in early May

Much discussion has taken place regarding where we are going, and a reference made by me relaying the thread about 'whats so good about aires'

So tonight, crossing confirmed, I say, what do you think about visiting the aires mentioned in that thread as part of the trip, seemed like a half decent idea to me, use other peoples knowledge and experiences, after all most of them quoted their favourite all time aires. I am thinking it would make an interesting thread on its own as well

Bevs face was a picture of drooping bottom lip, whats up says I, we are going to the Twin Lakes Rally said she, we are says I, but only for a few nights as part of the whole trip, Oh says she

Now that 'Oh' was the type that most married men will know means you have got it wrong (again)

We have now rediscussed and kind of agree that we did both partake in the whole discussion, it just seems to be what I said didn't get heard, and what Bev said apparently didn't matter. Bevs version, or can I call it interpretation. was a crossing belt down to Twin Lakes then belt back, mine was crossing, dawdle down to Twin Lakes over 5 days, stay for 3 days dawdle back over the remaining 6 days, apparently the same conversation :LOL:

Now I don't want you lot to make the decision, I reckon it would just come down to how many female replies I get, those all siding with Bev, the outcome will become clear in the a new thread to be started soon

Maybe the thread title could be discussed here, not the route

How about, Twin Lakes via Mars and Venus

departing 26th April by tunnel, returning 11th May is just about the only thing set so far :)

This year outgoing, which year return :rofl::wink:

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Depends on the weather .... Also you know you will enjoy the trip more if Bev is happy and you already had your nice trip to Durness...

:whistle::nod::angel:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Well, I'm going to support the 'aires on the way down' plan for the selfish reason that we will be a couple of days behind you & you can report on the good & the not so good! :sneaky:

We will leave here on the 27th (or maybe the 28th), ferry on the 28th, (Tues), Twin Lakes mid-day Friday 1st.

It's our first time in France in the van, only the second time I've driven in France & only the fourth time I've ever been, if we don't count passing through on the way to & from Germany on a school trip in 1966. (I watched the World Cup on a colour telly in a bar in Germany (y) If we'd been older, the locals might not have been so friendly!)

So as novices, we thought we'd make reasonable progress down to Twin Lakes & do our 'learn France' bit in the company & with the help of more experienced Funsters. So we plan to stop on three aires on the way - Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday nights.

Depending on how we get on, how fit or otherwise Jane is & what the weather is doing, we do have a tentative plan to meander slowly back north over rather more days than we took to travel down. One of the reasons for the ferry rather than the tunnel is that a flexible return date only cost me an extra £30, rather than whatever additional three figure sum it was that was required for the tunnel. We won't go often enough this year to justify even a half share in the frequent user tunnel scheme. :(

Jane & I have discussed this plan. If you were to ask her for her version of the plan, I'm not sure how closely it would correlate to mine. As the only part of it that is fixed is the 15:40 ferry on the 28th (& even that has a +/- 4hr window), I don't suppose it matters too much, because we probably won't stick to either version. :unsure:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mi always leaves me to make the arrangements she is totally uninterested until I've booked the ferries. Then I get why do you want go then, you know I want to do so & so, I can't go that week etc.
As she runs the finances like Scrooge, once I tell her it will cost £20 to change the booking, peace is resumed.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Looking forward to whatever you report on the thread! Think the suggested title is good too.

Kath

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
All I really need to do is find an aire close enough to a decent sized supermarket, Bev loves them, can lose an hour or two quite easily if big enough

I just need a nearby wood or canal to take Lola for a 2 hour walk, both sorted (y)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So the difference really boils down to 14 day trip (Mars) or what a 7 day trip (Venus), what's Venus' suggestion for the remaining 7 days? Or have I completely misunderstood the issue?

Oct 24, 2013
Nantwich. Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
6yrs ish!
I to had the same problem when I mentioned the Twin Lakes meet. Eileen was planning to visit all the cheese manufacturers, plus vineyards on the way. When I asked "where's the time coming from" As we had booked for two weeks at twin lakes. She replied, we can do it on the way there & back !!!! But we've only got 3wks I replied. Undaunted, she persisted we could plan the route from Calais. So, being the person I am, said I would book the ferry. "Portsmouth to Cherbourg" was the answer. Duly booked on the 9-00am sailing 29th April. Giving us one & half days to get to twin lakes. Not booked return yet. So she may end up winning on the way back as 5wks is now my planned trip. (y)(y)(y)(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So the difference really boils down to 14 day trip (Mars) or what a 7 day trip (Venus), what's Venus' suggestion for the remaining 7 days? Or have I completely misunderstood the issue?

Oh dear Neil, I really had depended on male support

The trip is pretty much fixed at 14 days due to Bev still working full time (that's another long story and I am already in too much trouble to open that can just yet)

My plan was a saunter down and back with say 3 nights at Twin Lakes, I was really convinced we had agreed on this, but Bev thought 2 days down there 2 days back, 10 days at Twin Lakes

Now we don't do long stays anywhere, so why now I have no idea

Compromise still being discussed, technically that's a lie because Bev is out all day, but I am doing my best to reschedule to what I think is now wanted, but not allowed to book anything :D

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My plan was a saunter down and back with say 3 nights at Twin Lakes, I was really convinced we had agreed on this, but Bev thought 2 days down there 2 days back, 10 days at Twin Lakes

Is Twin Lakes a 10 night stop ? Not compared to Maggiore or Garda it isn't. Three days to Italy is easy.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just see how it goes. If the Aires are not to Bev's approval then spend longer at Twin Lakes...... you might find you enjoy the trip down so much you want to dawdle on the way back - but then again you might find you want to come part way back and spend a couple of night at a site before coming the rest of the way.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Well I hope you all get it sorted out. We are booked on the pm ferry from Dover and hopefully, booked into Twin Lakes on the following Friday for the weekend, so will be relying on at least 2 members putting forward good aires for on the way down. That will be the first week done,, only 7 more to plan. :D

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 days in one spot! Quelle horror! Sorry, I now understand your dilema.

The aire stops sounds like a good trip and more importantly a good blog for the rest of us. Like the geocache concept, sure Venus will see sense and you will compromise.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
And that is a problem they cannot overcome. Hard luck Twin Lakes.

I see a certain amount of narrow mindedness creeping in here, Italy might well be great, but there is a lot of journey to enjoy on the way there (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back