Free Member
Feb 20, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Hi was wondering if anyone has been to Ord House Country Park in Berwick?? What are your thoughts on it, it looks lovely. Also has anyone been to one of the campingintheforest sites?? I'm intrigued x x

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
I can't help with the info you require but somebody who can will be along soon! (y)

Bump!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Haven't been to Ord House, nearest site we've visited is Bellingham, really liked the site & surrounding area.
Did a campingintheforest in the New Forest - it was awful.
But also done campingintheforest at Glenmore - many returns there - it's fabulous in so many ways, couldn't recommend it highly enough
http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/scotland/glenmore-campsite

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Not been to Scotland in camper yet but stayed on a couple of campingintheforest sites.
Setthorns in the New Forest, great if you like the Forest. I've friends live in nearest village so it was convenient for me. Walked back through site one day, huge stag just grazing in a clearing. Lucky dogs were on their leads! They were just shocked into silence I think and the stag melted away into the trees. It's not the easiest site to find your way round and quite easy to get lost I found. No facilities and I had trouble moving the motorhome round the site tracks one time, very overgrown and could hear a lot if scraping and scratching going on. Direct access onto cycle trail ( disused railway line) and by foot onto wooded and open Forest land.
Also stayed at Beddgelert in Mid Wales,-----wonderful. Steam train stops on the site, great walks and fresh bread and pizza baked on site. Order your pizza in the morning, it's baked fresh for you for tea time! Also free DVD hire. Showers were old but plenty of hot water and also a laundry. Well equipped shop. My " best day ever", as granddaughter says, was steam train to Port Madoc with the dogs and a walk on the most beautiful beach imaginable. You get a good discount (20%?) on train with C&CC membership card.
image.jpg
image.jpg

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@Hollyberry Hi Pauline, can you just confirm, is that beach at Port Madoc please? Was the site you stayed at at Bedgelert a Camping in the Forest site or another please?

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I love the New Forrest and my (adult) children think of the area as a seminal part of their growing up. We have stayed at the Hollands Wood site on six or seven occasions. I really like the site. No EHU, no frills, but good toilets and showers etc. A lovely woodland setting, with ponies and cattle wondering around. Also very near to Brockenhurst for pubs and grub.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Yes we've been to Ord House. We've used it a few time as a stop off on our way south when we used to leave for holidays straight after work. It's fairly big and there are a number of statics. Very nice pub/restaurant in the old house on site. There was a good shop including accessories when we were there last too. I would recommend it if you like family sites. Once we were given a pitch in the walled garden and I liked that best - it was quiet. Lovely area - Berwick is a pleasant town and there are some great walks nearby.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I have to put in here: the New Forest campingintheforest site we stayed at was neither Setthornes nor Hollands Wood. They have really good reputations.
Also the one we were at would probably be great for a rowdy bunch of pre-teens/teens or (as we were all disturbed by) 30-somethings partying till about 3 or 4 a.m. It may be fantastic for other people or on another day.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Been to Setthorns, we loved it, no facilities but
IMG-20130912-00409.jpg
IMG-20130912-00416.jpg
IMG-20130911-00406.jpg
lots spaces taken up by seasonal units. Super dog walks.

Attachments

• IMG-20130912-00418.jpg
    IMG-20130912-00418.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 10
  • East Lothian-20141221-00516.jpg
    East Lothian-20141221-00516.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 11

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
image.jpg
image.jpg
@Hollyberry Hi Pauline, can you just confirm, is that beach at Port Madoc please? Was the site you stayed at at Bedgelert a Camping in the Forest site or another please?

Stayed here http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk...wQy7rOyShOTDMBUUbDGQGkhWV1D4w_4G3sxoCyybw_wcB

The beach is Port Madoc. A short walk from the centre as it was dog friendly in high season. Stunningly beautiful. Chose the " cattle class" open carriage going down so dogs could enjoy all the smells. They love train travel.

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
We stayed at Ord House in January last year and would agree with all Mags52 said and would add - it also has a bath.

Have also stayed at all the Camping in the Forest sites in Scotland and all have been grand - Glenmore I wouldn't visit in the height of the summer - too busy and the facilities struggle, but fine the rest of the year.

OP
OP
Bing

Bing

Free Member
Feb 20, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all your advice,off to Ord House on Friday.... would live to try the forest but our motorhome is 8+ metres long. What do you think????? X x x

Yes we've been to Ord House. We've used it a few time as a stop off on our way south when we used to leave for holidays straight after work. It's fairly big and there are a number of statics. Very nice pub/restaurant in the old house on site. There was a good shop including accessories when we were there last too. I would recommend it if you like family sites. Once we were given a pitch in the walled garden and I liked that best - it was quiet. Lovely area - Berwick is a pleasant town and there are some great walks nearby.

We stayed at Ord House in January last year and would agree with all Mags52 said and would add - it also has a bath.

Have also stayed at all the Camping in the Forest sites in Scotland and all have been grand - Glenmore I wouldn't visit in the height of the summer - too busy and the facilities struggle, but fine the rest of the year.

OP
OP
Bing

Bing

Free Member
Feb 20, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Mags52, just had a look and it looks lovely. Might try it at Easter break
:)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks Mags52, just had a look and it looks lovely. Might try it at Easter break
:)
I would get there before the midges does. We were plagued with them when we were there. You should be fine at Easter though.

OP
OP
Bing

Bing

Free Member
Feb 20, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
I would get there before the midges does. We were plagued with them when we were there. You should be fine at Easter though.
Thanks for the heads up. Off for 2weeks as work in a school, will try and have couple of nights there. Should be worth it x x

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for the heads up. Off for 2weeks as work in a school, will try and have couple of nights there. Should be worth it x x

We've been to Cobleland but with the caravan, unfortunately it was after a period of extensive rain and a lot of the site was unusable but they did let us use a pitch that was earmarked for large motorhomes. Nice river and forest walks but again some walks were blocked as there was a car rally weekend. Lovely helpful wardens that year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back