LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have two Gaslow refillable LPG gas bottles with butane regulator fittings. Can I use a butane 28mbar regulator on them or does the regulator have to be higher than 30mbar?

I'm awaiting a delivery of a re-filler kit and new regulator and change over valve but as it has not arrived in time for our overnight trip, I wondered whether a butane regulator would work safely.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would be very cautions.. and say NO..

not because the output is 2mb lower.. but Propane is at higher pressure in the cylinder than Butane.. , quite probably more than the Butane regulator is rated for.

EDIT

This backs up what I said..

Propane bottles contain considerably greater pressure than butane cylinders. Cylinder regulators designed for use with either propane or butane are not interchangeable because of:-

• Their different design pressure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I would be very cautions.. and say NO..

not because the output is 2mb lower.. but Propane is at higher pressure in the cylinder than Butane.. , quite probably more than the Butane regulator is rated for.

EDIT

This backs up what I said..

Propane bottles contain considerably greater pressure than butane cylinders. Cylinder regulators designed for use with either propane or butane are not interchangeable because of:-

• Their different design pressure.
Thanks for this. I took your advice and used some old 3kg butane bottles instead. There was enough gas to supply the fridge to keep the bubbly stuff cool and fry some eggs this morning :)

I've no idea how this post came up twice though ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back