Will I get a good deal on an Avtex tv at Newark Show? (1 Viewer)

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
As above, I wondered what the chances are of getting a better priced tv at the Newark show?

After buying a freesat box, I have decided to swap for an 18"/19" all in one tv due to space and wiring routing.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Had my eyes on the 24" at the NEC in October, offer was around £430 a saving of £25 or so. I see they're even more expensive now but you'd get a deal of sorts.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I have found with Avtex that the price is pretty much fixed. We did buy from John Lewis for the 5 year warranty.

Upvote 0

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
Like most motorhomees I have an Avtex in my van and it's a good TV, but why is it only able to recognise USB sticks formatted as FAT. This formatting dates from the early Nineties, and the technology has moved on, using FAT means a movie file is limited to an hour, exFAT is better but not recognised. I use a media player, but only with EHU, I have not been able to find a 12v media player. With the media player plugged in I can watch any movie in any format, AVI, MKV, PAL, NTSC etc etc. I have tried other TV,s that can recognise these formats but they're not as good as an Avtex, I wish they would bring their software into the 21st century.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
i sent mine back for above reasons! Bought a superb Samsung 22 inch with full HD including HD freeview for £99 from Tesco ( has analogue tuner for Spain as well). incidentally it will play any file I throw at it so far!

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i sent mine back for above reasons! Bought a superb Samsung 22 inch with full HD including HD freeview for £99 from Tesco ( has analogue tuner for Spain as well). incidentally it will play any file I throw at it so far!

I'm with you on price.. don't understand why anyone would pay £450 for a TV ..

£88 for this Samsung http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J59YC2Y/?tag=mhf04-21

can you use on 12v ? (without an inverter )

even if you can't, a 150 watt pure sine wave inverter won't break the bank

Upvote 0

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi kglblue

A little puzzled. We have a 16" Avtex in our van and we play films which can be as long as 2 hours plus direct from a standard USB sticks or Hardrives which are Fat32 formatted. So cannot understand why you cannot play a film longer than 1 hour.

Doug

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'm with you on price.. don't understand why anyone would pay £450 for a TV ..

£88 for this Samsung http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00J59YC2Y/?tag=mhf04-21

can you use on 12v ? (without an inverter )

even if you can't, a 150 watt pure sine wave inverter won't break the bank

have a pure sine wave inverter anyway...

mine has HD freeview. so top picture quality, only £10 more then model in your link :)
I think this is it, gone up to £130 now...

http://www.tesco.com/direct/samsung...iew-hd/411-5384.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=411-5384

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I'd check internet prices before you go to the show, that way you'll know whether it's a good deal or not. We wanted a snipe auto satellite and enquirer at the nec to be told the show offer was £5 off and the basic price was £45 more expensive than I'd found online!

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
We have just purchased the 22" Finlux, great bit of kit with full HD, DVD and 12v/240v power leads, also has built in freeview, couldn't bring myself to spend £400+ when just over £100 will do just fine, also being suitable for MH's(y)

Andy

Tried to sneak it into the van undetected but missus noticed the different name on the front, Not going from 15" to 22"!!:LOL:

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We are very happy with our Finlux too - current prices on website are excellent too! Optional add on extended warranties for up to 5 years are available from Finlux for those that want to compare with any John Lewis deal.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Not Freeview HD but still an excellent picture ... better than the Avtex that we sent back:imoutahere:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
but the finlux like most do not have freeview HD normal picture sucks on most tv's

frankly, from my experience it makes little difference on small screen TVs... by small I mean under 48inch, I challenge anyone to tell the difference..

and if traveling in Europe, (or even the UK) you will be using a sat dish with a separate SD or HDD tuner.

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
What's the sound quality like on the Finlux and the Samsungs? We bought a Cello to go in the van but so tinny it's been relegated to the kitchen indoors. I know we could run it through speakers but enoughs enough.

Edit: I agree on the HD/SD too, 46" Smart Samsung but switching from on to another I can't tell the difference.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
On Finlux it is good enough for us - we had expected to have to buy a soundbar. Down to personal choice though sound may get lost in a big motorhome.
Extra accessories that may be of use:
Avtex do an excellent hard sided case for storage (bettter than the floppy fabric & padded foam ones) Broken Link Removed plus this quick release bracket is very useful too Broken Link Removed
We have had status aerials when we had caravans but none were very good so thanks to Funsters advice we also bought one of these Broken Link Removed & so far have had excellent reception. Haven't watched as much tv in the motorhome as when we were caravanners though as too much Fun on the rallies!:)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I do, each to their own an all that (y)
fair comment.. it's your dosh

Back in the 90s, Avtex were the only people making multi standard 12v 'portable' TVs .. I remember looking at them in camping shops with envious eyes and wishing I could afford..

times have changed... and TV prices have fallen dramatically.. except Avtex

what is so special about an Avtex that justifies the price .. sell me one

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I know thats what they say re HD on a small screen and even with my poor eyesight its pretty obviously better

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Will I get a good deal on an Avtex tv at Newark Show?

The reality is it's hard to find a good deal on anything at shows. The traders pay loads for a pitch, they've got to get that back and then some for themselves.

It is very easy to buy and find things much cheaper when you get home.

You want cheap, Amazon, Ebay.

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
fair comment.. it's your dosh

Back in the 80s, Avtex were the only people making multi standard 12v 'portable' TVs .. I remember looking at them in camping shops with envious eyes and wishing I could afford..

times have changed... and TV prices have fallen dramatically.. except Avtex

what is so special about an Avtex that justifies the price .. sell me one
Here's when I wish I was a salesman, now I will have to concede I couldn't sell ice cream on a sunny day :rofl:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Here's when I wish I was a salesman, now I will have to concede I couldn't sell ice cream on a sunny day :rofl:

it was a serious question.. I'm not a cheapskate .. far from it, (and not implying you think I am,)

I always try to buy the best kit I can afford.. I spent nearly £2k on a gas cooker for the house when I could have bought a cheap one for a 1/3 of that .. but it was all about quality , so if someone can justify or explain why I should spend 300% more on an Avtex TV then I would consider it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back