Solar Controllers - A Small 'Gotcha' (1 Viewer)

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
I've posted this elsewhere, it is something that needs to be thought about by those who take their 12V loads straight from the battery with no low voltage cutoff or disconnect.

The solar controller electronics are fed from the battery the controller is connected to, not the panels. This means that if the situation arises where a continuous load pulls a battery down too far, the controller will cease working.

If the load continues, the controller cannot start and the battery will be destroyed.

It doesn't take much either, a three hundred milliamps over a week is 50AH, half what most folks have in the way of a battery, two weeks and you're looking at a severely flat battery.

Loads that are connected to the battery through the controller LOAD terminals will be cut off by the controller's own internal circuitry, protecting the battery and keeping the solar controller alive.

A single signal LED takes about 20mA, a small fan about 100mA and so on.

A relay can be connected across the LOAD terminals to carry higher loads if needed. Very heavy loads like inverters are usually only run for short periods on load, but some have a quiescent load (standby load) when turned on but not loaded, that can be half an amp or so.

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A relay can be connected across the LOAD terminals to carry higher loads if needed.
Peter

So you are saying "use the solar controller LOAD output to protect your battery".

A seriously good idea. With the heavy cables involved not trivial but still a good idea.

We are more or less saved from doing this because the Electroblock controll box drops out when it's low battery setting is reached.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My last mppt controllers load output was rated at 2 amps.

My current £600 controller (already fitted by others) is rated at 2amps

Not much use as a power supply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I've posted this elsewhere, it is something that needs to be thought about by those who take their 12V loads straight from the battery with no low voltage cutoff or disconnect.

The solar controller electronics are fed from the battery the controller is connected to, not the panels. This means that if the situation arises where a continuous load pulls a battery down too far, the controller will cease working.

If the load continues, the controller cannot start and the battery will be destroyed.

It doesn't take much either, a three hundred milliamps over a week is 50AH, half what most folks have in the way of a battery, two weeks and you're looking at a severely flat battery.

Loads that are connected to the battery through the controller LOAD terminals will be cut off by the controller's own internal circuitry, protecting the battery and keeping the solar controller alive.

A single signal LED takes about 20mA, a small fan about 100mA and so on.

A relay can be connected across the LOAD terminals to carry higher loads if needed. Very heavy loads like inverters are usually only run for short periods on load, but some have a quiescent load (standby load) when turned on but not loaded, that can be half an amp or so.

Peter

hi peter, im always keen to grasp these things lol, even if im a bit slow on the uptake..
have I got it right that you are saying that a relay connected across the solar regulator load output terminal can be used to feed circuts that could then be switched off when battery voltage drops to low level.. that's my take on your post and sounds a good idea where it might be necessary to protect the battery..
ta andy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi peter, im always keen to grasp these things lol, even if im a bit slow on the uptake..
have I got it right that you are saying that a relay connected across the solar regulator load output terminal can be used to feed circuts that could then be switched off when battery voltage drops to low level.. that's my take on your post and sounds a good idea where it might be necessary to protect the battery..
ta andy
Got it in one....but unless you put a switch between the controller and relay you have no control when the controller is active, in other words you cant turn it off at random UNLESS your controller has a built in switch, not all have..

OP
OP
Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
Most controllers, including ours and Andy's (Techno100) have 20A, 25A or 30A capability, and that goes for the load terminal outputs as well as the battery charging side.

There's no real need to fit a switch to the relay unless you really need it, if you are straight on the battery at present you have no control either. Don't see that as a big issue, and 25A of output current gives you more than enough for most habitation electrics.

This scheme is really for those who don't already have low volt cutoff on their existing electrics. If you have it via an Electroblock then no point in fitting anything extra.

Peter

OP
OP
Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
When you mention amps/volts/millipedes or whatever, my brain shuts off! I never did understand electrics and I really don't intend to try now!

It isn't rocket science, and getting to know your basic electrics and how they work could save you a lot of money in the event of a breakdown.

Peter

OP
OP
Peter A Forbes

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
So you are saying "use the solar controller LOAD output to protect your battery".

Basically, yes.

That function is built in to almost every controller on the market.

We had a Ring 2-socket cigar lighter and battery monitor plugged in to our batteries on the trailer, plus a small extraction fan for the kitchen area.

These two things did exactly what we are trying to protect against, they pulled the battery down in bad/cloudy weather and eventually killed the battery. I had wired everything else through the load terminals except these two items.

I had assumed that the panels would have kept that little load supported, but they didn't. The other circuit on the second pair of panels was fine, so I may fit some steering diodes between the two circuits so that they cross-feed to the other circuit.

Peter

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have always advocated using the load terminals on the controller, that's probably why my batteries have lasted 8 years and still going strong.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I did run a couple of 12v seminars at rallies to help enlighten those with no understanding maybe it is time for another, who knows but anyone who wants tuition is at liberty to ask anytime they are at my site for a rally or just camping am glad to be of help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back