LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm installing an auto changeover valve and regulator and need to replace a rubber hose with 8mm copper pipe. I have a 10mm pipe bender that does a pretty good job of creating the 90 degree bends but the pipe is crushed more than I would like (although, no where near flat). Does a reduced bore make much difference with gas or am I better off using elbow joints or bending the pipe with salt or sand inside?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Yes, it weakens the pipe on the bend. You need to get an Broken Link Removed or spring.

Where in Beds are you? I've got a 8mm pipe bender you can borrow if you want?

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks. We're in Bedford. Do 8mm benders have formers? I've heard that many do not and I wondered what effect that had on the final profile.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
B & Q have 8mm external springs in plumbing section

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks. We're in Bedford. Do 8mm benders have formers? I've heard that many do not and I wondered what effect that had on the final profile.

Mine does I think. The profile is fine. I'll dig it out of the garage later and double check.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
B & Q have 8mm external springs in plumbing section
I haven't had much luck with springs - do the external ones just reduce the are in which the bend takes place?

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When I put my bbq point in, I made a former with washers.
Get washers with outside diameter of required bend and stack to thinkness of pipe and then put a larger washer each side and bolt together. Larger washers stop pipe spreading and flattening.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
When I put my bbq point in, I made a former with washers.
Get washers with outside diameter of required bend and stack to thinkness of pipe and then put a larger washer each side and bolt together. Larger washers stop pipe spreading and flattening.
Sounds like a good idea. I'll have a play later and see if I can set something up like this.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
I haven't had much luck with springs - do the external ones just reduce the are in which the bend takes place?
No not really I've bent 8mm copper to less than 90 degrees with no real problems other than getting the pipe back out of the spring (Applied lubrication always helps!)

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have 90 degree compression and solder joints but I would prefer it if I can create a 90 degree bend effectively. I am fine with wet plumbing and have leak detector gas and a gas alarm plus a friendly heating engineer who can check for me once installed.

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
No not really I've bent 8mm copper to less than 90 degrees with no real problems other than getting the pipe back out of the spring (Applied lubrication always helps!)

KY, washing up liquid or something more dedicated?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The secret to using bending springs, internal or external type is to bend slightly further than you need, then straighten it back to the required angle, this helps stop the spring jamming against the pipe when you come to remove it (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
By keeping tight against the side you can bend around a small paint tin without losing shape. Failing that if you have insulation to go over pipe fit it first then bend & it will do so without crushing.

Peter A Forbes

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Rushden, Northants, UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes 614D
Exp
10+
The Rothenberger (sp?) benders are worth buying for doing a nice bend, the cheapo copies not so good.

I use springs a fair bit, used to do air brake conversion on trucks and that was on steel pipe.

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back