very simple Q about diesel blow air heaters (1 Viewer)

May 10, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 months
hi, a question from a very ignorant campervan owner, my van has a diesel blow air heater. Is it safe to have it on for several hours, and do they use much diesel, the book I got with the van was a not very good photocopy of the original and not very informative. Thanks for any advice

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, Enuf I dont know much about them but wagon drivers leave them on with a thermostat all night while they are kipping in their bunks.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Diesel use will depend on how well insulated your van is and cold it is outside.
As a guide, at between -5 to -20 outside, when skiing, half a tank will last us a week keeping the inside of the van at 20 degrees C.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I put ours on as required but always turn it off at night, I would say it's very frugal as far as fuel in concerned, but cannot give you definite figures,

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Webasto claim their diesel heaters are cheaper to run than any other fuel source.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
my van has a diesel blow air heater.

would be helpful if you have the make and model ..?

this is the technical specs for the Webasto range of heaters ..

webasto.PNG

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We have an Eberspacher, very economical and efficient. The trick is to start it on full and gently adjust to a comfortable temperature. Toasty, toasty :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
hi, a question from a very ignorant campervan owner, my van has a diesel blow air heater. Is it safe to have it on for several hours, and do they use much diesel, the book I got with the van was a not very good photocopy of the original and not very informative. Thanks for any advice

We have one, love it. It gets toasty warm and appears to use very little diesel. It can stay on for many hours but check your batteries if not on EHU as the blow part does use electric. You can even use them when travelling - which you are told not to do with gas heating.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
However to do that you also need to have a gas safety shut off device

AFAIK>> not a legal requirement.. it's a recommendation..

most US motorhomes have gas on while traveling for the fridge as they don't have a 12v option. .
mine didn't have the cut off valve.. I also ran with air heaters on in winter..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
They do push out a lot of heat but as already mentioned, if it is very cold and you leave it running all day it will use a significant amount of fuel.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
AFAIK>> not a legal requirement.. it's a recommendation..

most US motorhomes have gas on while traveling for the fridge as they don't have a 12v option. .
mine didn't have the cut off valve.. I also ran with air heaters on in winter..
Jim, quote from my Truma operating instructions:

"Directive 2004/78/EC stipulates that a safety shut off device is required if motor homes are being heated while driving".

I assume that refers to European wide legislation.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
They are definitely the dogs danglie bits. Use whenever & wherever you like.

Some of the older one in particular are a bit noisy, especially outside the van, so someone trying to sleep in a tent pitched right next door might not love you.

The main thing to remember is to keep plenty of fuel in the tank. So that the heater can never drain your fuel tank so low as to prevent you driving off the the nearest fuel station, the heater fuel pickup point is deliberately positioned some distance from the bottom of the tank. Once the tank level gets much below a quarter full, the heater doesn't get any more fuel.

I discovered this one crystal clear February night in the Yorkshire Wolds. It turned out to be the coldest night of the year, both inside & outside the van. That was in a poorly insulated T4 campervan. Toasty when it was working though - in all but the very coldest weather I could even put the roof up & stay warm.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I had an Eberspacher on my last van, use of diesel was not a problem but as mentioned by others they do use a lot of battery power. I believe this is the fuel pump and pre heater for the diesel, not the fan, as once it had been running for a few minutes the current taken dropped down. Trouble is it starts up every little while so overall the power consumption is quite high. I always carried a fan heater and used that if I was on an EHU.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
They are definitely the dogs danglie bits. Use whenever & wherever you like.

Some of the older one in particular are a bit noisy, especially outside the van, so someone trying to sleep in a tent pitched right next door might not love you.

The main thing to remember is to keep plenty of fuel in the tank. So that the heater can never drain your fuel tank so low as to prevent you driving off the the nearest fuel station, the heater fuel pickup point is deliberately positioned some distance from the bottom of the tank. Once the tank level gets much below a quarter full, the heater doesn't get any more fuel.

I discovered this one crystal clear February night in the Yorkshire Wolds. It turned out to be the coldest night of the year, both inside & outside the van. That was in a poorly insulated T4 campervan. Toasty when it was working though - in all but the very coldest weather I could even put the roof up & stay warm.
Yes some can be b....y noisy if you are near . We were on a site with one two pitches away and praying they wouldn't leave it on overnight !

Here also at Pedro 's there was another and as the lady came out if the van she said ' Take off is at 9am lol '

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Yes some can be b....y noisy if you are near . We were on a site with one two pitches away and praying they wouldn't leave it on overnight !

Here also at Pedro 's there was another and as the lady came out if the van she said ' Take off is at 9am lol '
The Eberspacher is famously noisy but you can get silencers for them - but they not fitted in some installations.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You wouldn't know ours was on unless you were in a tent next to us!
They should be silenced, if not its worse than owning a gennie!:reel:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I had an Eberspacher on my last van, use of diesel was not a problem but as mentioned by others they do use a lot of battery power. I believe this is the fuel pump and pre heater for the diesel, not the fan, as once it had been running for a few minutes the current taken dropped down. Trouble is it starts up every little while so overall the power consumption is quite high. I always carried a fan heater and used that if I was on an EHU.

Not with modern ones.
They don't continually stop and start. They tick over at a low output to save battery power.
Our Webasto has a similar 12v consumption to an equivalent gas Truma CombI.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
The Eberspacher is famously noisy but you can get silencers for them - but they not fitted in some installations.

Our new Eberspacher didn't come with a silencer as standard after it was fitted we decided to buy one off EBay for Ā£21.
Money well spent as it made a big difference (y)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Diesel use will depend on how well insulated your van is and cold it is outside.
As a guide, at between -5 to -20 outside, when skiing, half a tank will last us a week keeping the inside of the van at 20 degrees C.
not much info there as we dont know the size of your tank or is this itBroken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back