2003 2.8 JTD fuel filter connection (1 Viewer)

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
My Hymer has the screw-on cartridge type filter, similar to an oil filter, but it has an electrical connection on the bottom. I've not seen any mention of that on the various threads about changing the filter, so I'm wondering what it does?

I tried to unscrew the filter by hand but it won't budge. If it's a quick job I think I might just let a garage do it rather than go out and buy a filter wrench and get my knuckles chafed. I can't see a part number, so I guess I'll have to take pot luck whether the garage has it as I understand there are several different ones for this engine.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
If you turn your ignition key one position clockwise to the MAR position, the 'water in diesel' amber light will come on for a couple of seconds, then go out. (checking operation) This amber warning light is positioned at the bottom and extreme left of the Instrument Panel.
The Fiat Owners Handbook states :- "The presence of water in diesel fuel can cause severe damage to the engine fuel feed system.
Consequently, you should go to a Fiat Dealership as soon as the warning light comes on"
I have no idea whatsoever of the number of reported cases of this type of contamination problem in the UK.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
mine has the same, but a lot of replacement filters do not have the correct size fitting to transfer it over, get a proper filter from fiat/good accessory shop, and disconnect the fitting 1st at the connector block before removing filter or you stand a chance of snapping a wire at the filter end(i did) and had to get a replacement.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
The fuel filter I changed last year on my Hymer 2004 B544 was a UFI water eliminator fuel filter 46797378

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
My 2.5 engine has the connector on top. But that is screw off, and they have been the cause of many problems in the past, due to seal shrinkage, leaks, and picking up air.

OP
OP
D

DocHoliday

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
5 years
I did the job myself in the end, having bought a filter wrench. It's not too bad; I managed it without removing the whole air filter housing, just the lid and the air filter, but I do have long, thin arms!

As Al-Di said, the tricky thing is to stop the (disconnected) sensor wire getting broken as you screw the fuel filter off and on. You can't see what's happening to the wire because of all the gubbins in the way.

After the old filter is off and emptied, unscrew the sensor assembly from the bottom and fit it to the new filter.

Watch out for the seal on the central spigot of the body - mine didn't come off with the old filter, and you certainly don't want two!

I first tried to get a new filter from Feu Vert (I'm in Spain at the moment). They wanted 50 Euros for a Bosch one and were generally unhelpful - the only shop in Spain in nearly four months that has asked for my passport when paying with chip and pin! So I went next door to Norauto where the staff were much more helpful, cross checking part numbers several times to make sure I had the right one. They supplied me with their filter number 877 and I was relieved to find it is indeed the correct one, and pretty cheap at just 22 Euros.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back