Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Might have been talked about before, but I cannot find a thread about it,,

How do you stow your sewage pipe ??

Just an idea,, would it be feasable to get and make a length of the plastic home sewer pipe, put a couple of screw ends on and fix it on the outside of your rig underneath from side to side with some pipe type brackets, thus eleviating having a box (which I have) taking up valuble space in your boot/outside lockers..

I have two lengths of flexi sewer hose and joined together are approx 7ft and stretched approx 30ft, So a length across the rig approx 8ft, I would only need one length.

When using just slide out use clean and slide back into tube,, and a padlock can also be incorporated in the lids for security.. I think that the home plastic sewer pipe is approx 5 - 6 inches, so by my reackoning your pipe and joints should slide in ok, I will try and make one in the next few days and let you know the outcome.. :thumb:

Now some one shoot me down and say, Oh,, what a crap idea,, (sewer pipe crap,,, Oh forget it)) I`ll get me coat.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

That's a fairly common way of doing it, I've seen them across the rear bumpers on RVs ..

good plan, look forward to some pics when it's done..

I stuff mine in a locker, but I only have one length.

Jim

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I would like to see the pics I've been threatening to do this for ages, Duncan described it to me ages ago but I've never got around to it. It would certainly tidy up the locker. Good luck keep us posted. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Thats a really good idea. I have a box section waste pipe storage section built in to my mh as most arv's have but its not wide enough to take a 3" drain which in itself is very strange.

Just now I'm taking up a lot of locker space. The other thing is when I open the locker the hose springs out like zebberdy or what ever the cartoon characters name is.

Its embarrasing wrestling with a waste hose around your neck. Its like they have a life of their own with their mission being too pi## off human beings.

Cheers
Jim :roflmto:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Have you thought of using one of those tubes you see on EX BT vans got the bkts and lockable end caps made for the job . Guess you could pick one up from a scrap yard cheap enough.::bigsmile:

Link Removed

see second picture leaning against the wall

Last edited by a moderator:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi on my Monaco there is a storage compartment for the hose in the sewer locker you can just see the little door to the right in the locker, pic taken whilst flushing the black tank!

29ll0qv.jpg

Regards Pat

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Well, I have made it up, with a blank one end and a screw thread on the other, which I will put a hasp/padlock on,, (Dont know who would want to nick a sewer pipe :Wink

At the moment just to see if it would work I have cable tied it to the rear bumper, It seems to be OK,, Tomorrow I shall fit it underneath. Out of site.

I reackon I can get my Beach fishing Rod in as well,, so killing two birds with one stone. :thumb:

Total cost £19.85p..

Hopefully photo`s here.

Attachments

• P1050313.jpg
    P1050313.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 27
  • P1050315.jpg
    P1050315.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 21
  • P1050316.jpg
    P1050316.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 21
  • P1050317.jpg
    P1050317.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
If space is really important then Rhinoflex collapses from about 15 feet down to a very manageable 3. Rhinoflex

Afraid 5ers have not got as much space as you big M/H boys Jim,, and I think my misses thinks we are away for 3 years not 3 months. :winky:

Have you thought of using one of those tubes you see on EX BT vans got the bkts and lockable end caps made for the job . Guess you could pick one up from a scrap yard cheap enough.::bigsmile:

Had thought of that Sinbad,, but not many breakers yards around here.. :Blush:

Hi on my Monaco there is a storage compartment for the hose in the sewer locker you can just see the little door to the right in the locker, pic taken whilst flushing the black tank!

29ll0qv.jpg

Regards Pat

Mine aint as posh as yours Pat,, Connect it up and open the valve and just hope there have been no elephants using the WC,, let gravity take it`s course,, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thanks for all the suggestions. It seems to work. :thumb:

Regards
Maurice.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well, I have made it up, with a blank one end and a screw thread on the other, which I will put a hasp/padlock on,, (Dont know who would want to nick a sewer pipe :Wink

At the moment just to see if it would work I have cable tied it to the rear bumper, It seems to be OK,, Tomorrow I shall fit it underneath. Out of site.

I reackon I can get my Beach fishing Rod in as well,, so killing two birds with one stone. :thumb:

Total cost £19.85p..

Hopefully photo`s here.

hi maurice,
i suggested this a while back after seeing it on a 5er i was looking at.

some 5er's have a completely hollow bumper tube which is used to stow the hose, the Amerilite and Trailite are but two.
would it not be better to use the bumper as you wont loose any ground clearance like you will underslinging it.

looking at your bumper im sure the end cap could be modified to be openable.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just remembered a tip from Duncan when I was talking about this.

Drill a few small holes along the bottom to let out any fluid that might be left in the pipe save having a horrible pong when you open up.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Mo, your bumper is designed to store the sewer hose, that black plug is removeable. Hinged plugs are also available for ease of use.

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Being thinking about sewer hoses :)Blush::Blush:)

I have had problems with all the hoses i have had splitting sepecially when it is cold, so i was thinking about using the flat hose, same type that firemen use but it goes totally flat then not in use, the problem i have found so far is that you have to buy 100m of the dam stuff, trying to get a small amount to try it first.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Being thinking about sewer hoses :)Blush::Blush:)

I have had problems with all the hoses i have had splitting sepecially when it is cold, so i was thinking about using the flat hose, same type that firemen use but it goes totally flat then not in use, the problem i have found so far is that you have to buy 100m of the dam stuff, trying to get a small amount to try it first.

Personally I'd invest in a decent grade RV dump hose. I doubt gravity pressure alone would be sufficient to open up a 3" flat hose....fire hoses have a heck of a lot of pressure going through them to push the water through. We don't supply flat hose with macerator pumps for the same reason....they stick together and are prone to kinking, people have been known to have problems with them.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
hi maurice,
i suggested this a while back after seeing it on a 5er i was looking at.

some 5er's have a completely hollow bumper tube which is used to stow the hose, the Amerilite and Trailite are but two.
would it not be better to use the bumper as you wont loose any ground clearance like you will underslinging it.

looking at your bumper im sure the end cap could be modified to be openable.

Thanks for all the suggestions,,,

The Bumper will take the hose on its own (Just Fits, with very little space) But I dont think the misses fancy`s putting on the joiners and the big one that fit`s onto the 5er`s drain socket every time we need to empty,,, I think that is one thing that let`s them down, had they made the box section an inch bigger the pipe fittings would fit as well, and would not need taking off each time, Yes the end caps do come off that is where I tried the pipe originaly, Hence the way I have gone.. From the ground to the bottom of the bumper is 22 inches, so if I leave it there it should be ok, :thumb:

Just remembered a tip from Duncan when I was talking about this.

Drill a few small holes along the bottom to let out any fluid that might be left in the pipe save having a horrible pong when you open up.

That is one good idea,, Cheers. :thumb:

Mo, your bumper is designed to store the sewer hose, that black plug is removeable. Hinged plugs are also available for ease of use.

Thanks Lindy,, afraid there is only about a quarter of an inch between the pipe and box section of the bumper,, and as explained we would have to keep removing the fittings,, silly design really,, But if I can get some locking end plugs,, I will be able to stuff a few rods and bits up there,, Do you sell locking end plugs??

Thanks
Maurice..

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
Might have been talked about before, but I cannot find a thread about it,,

How do you stow your sewage pipe ??

Just an idea,, would it be feasable to get and make a length of the plastic home sewer pipe, put a couple of screw ends on and fix it on the outside of your rig underneath from side to side with some pipe type brackets, thus eleviating having a box (which I have) taking up valuble space in your boot/outside lockers..

I have two lengths of flexi sewer hose and joined together are approx 7ft and stretched approx 30ft, So a length across the rig approx 8ft, I would only need one length.

When using just slide out use clean and slide back into tube,, and a padlock can also be incorporated in the lids for security.. I think that the home plastic sewer pipe is approx 5 - 6 inches, so by my reackoning your pipe and joints should slide in ok, I will try and make one in the next few days and let you know the outcome.. :thumb:

Now some one shoot me down and say, Oh,, what a crap idea,, (sewer pipe crap,,, Oh forget it)) I`ll get me coat.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Doh:

Hi mo that's what I've done with my 5ver but on the sealed end I've used the vent that usualy goes on the end of the domestic soil pipe, it lets the pipe breath & any water trapped in there can drain out.:Eeek::Eeek:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Thanks for all the suggestions,,,

Thanks Lindy,, afraid there is only about a quarter of an inch between the pipe and box section of the bumper,, and as explained we would have to keep removing the fittings,, silly design really,, But if I can get some locking end plugs,, I will be able to stuff a few rods and bits up there,, Do you sell locking end plugs??

Thanks
Maurice..

They don't make "locking" ones as far as I am aware.....as has been said, who would want to nick a used sewer hose? :roflmto:
That said, a hinged plug could no doubt be "modified" with a small hasp if need be.

For the record, we keep a sewer hose complete with adapter in the rear bumper of our C Class without any problem.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Personally I'd invest in a decent grade RV dump hose. I doubt gravity pressure alone would be sufficient to open up a 3" flat hose....fire hoses have a heck of a lot of pressure going through them to push the water through. We don't supply flat hose with macerator pumps for the same reason....they stick together and are prone to kinking, people have been known to have problems with them.

I have a 2m flat hose that gravity empties easily enough because its mostly on the vertical but if it were any longer as Linda says the pressure wouldn't open it. At Americana I bought some excellent quality flat hose from Duncan at Star Spangled for use with the macerator. It opens up really easily, though I still run a bit of grey through before the black. I have separate lengths at 30m, 10m and 5m and it works a treat. Make sure there are no kinks in it though:Eeek:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Be warey about storing your dump hose in the bumper .
I've read quite a few posts on American forums recently where people are complaining about using this method long term. Apparently, the inside faces of the bumper rust over time and due to vibration when travelling, the rust causes pin prick holes all over your expensive dump hose!:Sad:
I intend to use Mo's plastic storage pipe method when we get our 5ver:thumb

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Be warey about storing your dump hose in the bumper .
I've read quite a few posts on American forums recently where people are complaining about using this method long term. Apparently, the inside faces of the bumper rust over time and due to vibration when travelling, the rust causes pin prick holes all over your expensive dump hose!:Sad:
I intend to use Mo's plastic storage pipe method when we get our 5ver:thumb

I imagine that putting wet and dripping sewer hoses inside the bumper will increase the chances of rust. The last thing anyone needs are those small holes in dump hoses:whatthe: I must admit though, the bumper seems an ideal place to store the hose. It might be a better idea to rustproof the inside of the bumper and use it. Shouldn't be to hard to get a bit of underseal in there with a rag or brush on a stick. Especially as you would want to get the hose in there every now and then anyway.

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Here is a pic of the tube slung underneath my 5er
It can hold 2 standard sewer pipes with fittings but not to 90 degree elbow at the end.

I must admit that i do use the old hoses i have stored in a plastic container

Rory
you can get these in Camping world from $20 to $35 very easy to fit

Attachments

• sewer pipe storage 004.JPG
    sewer pipe storage 004.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
"Neat" :thumb:

I think that is where I shall try and fix mine,, I got the six or six & half inch pipe, and the 90deg fitting I bought just fits I think it is 90 deg (not quite a right angle) more a gentle curve.

Did you have to drill through the chassis to fix the brackets?

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
The tube was already fitted hence i am still using my old hoses in the container,it is kept on with 2 big self tappers each end ,so yes it has been drilled through the chassis

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back