Towbar mounted bike rack advice please (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
collecting our new motorhome friday, yippee, we have had a tow bar fitted. We have ordinary bikes but think we might get electric bikes before long. I have seen a thule easy fold 931, over £400 gulp, a atera strada 2686 for about £300 and a saffier 2 at john cross for £179. Any recommendations about these or any others gratefully received please. Thanks in advance.

Mar 13, 2010
Funster No
i have the thule 916 very good for electric bikes and its weight is less than 20kg but not cheap but neither is replacing the back wall on the van

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I bought a 4 bike carrier from Witter and have been impressed; it is easy to put on and take off (less than 1 min each on / off) and better value in my opinion than the market leader. They may be able to advise re electric bikes. It would probably help if you remove the battery from the bikes before putting them on to reduce weight.

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/cycle_carriers/findCycleCarrier1.php

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
i have the thule 916 very good for electric bikes and its weight is less than 20kg but not cheap but neither is replacing the back wall on the van
A tow bar mounted rack will be possible with their fitted tow bar.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I use one of these for my electric bike, Thule 970 Xpress 2 Bike Cycle Carrier. It's small, light and works. Once attached you can padlock it on. (y)

Mar 26, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We use a maxxraxx towbar mounted rack that we find very good. It comes with a steel cable & padlock that you can secure your bikes on the rack.

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you everyone, the 3 I mentioned all hold up to 60kg and 2 are lockable but the cheaper one needs a sepate lock. I will get researching further.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
We have the Thule Euroway 921 ? tow bar bike carrier and are very pleased with it. The bikes lock onto the rack which locks onto the tow bar. Win Win every way.. we still lock the 2 bikes together and also to the rack but that is really for our peace of mind. Very easy to load onto the tow ball, bikes at a low, manageable height, even better for electric bikes.. just make sure you get the one specifically for electric bikes. :):)

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
We use a maxxraxx towbar mounted rack that we find very good. It comes with a steel cable & padlock that you can secure your bikes on the rack.
Yes padlock is the usual way of securing.
But
A padlock only keeps an honest person out !
Saying that, it deters the opertunist criminal.
I have padlock + a 4 core wire loop that has both n/o & n/c circuit wired to the alarm.... Hopefully get a warning if some knacker tries his hand. (Is it legal to carry a firearm abroad !)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Bolt droppers or similar will cut through most locks and there are rumours that even D locks are pickable. I would suggest a big heavy lock and chain as a visual detergent and motion sensitive alarms inside the bikes that can be heard if someone tries to move them.

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
But if they want them they will take them no matter what security measures you take. The only thing to do is make it easier for them to take the bikes next door in preference to yours,, by locks,, alarms,, covers,, etc.
I remember my son ringing me up to say his bike had been stolen by a thief as he was waiting at a level crossing,, the scrote produced a knife just as the barriers were lifting and demanded he get off his bike, he is 6'2" but didn't argue.. the scrote just rode away as bystander stood and watched.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Have a look at the Westfalia BC60, designed for two electric bikes. Also folds for easy storage.

TM59

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
collecting our new motorhome friday, yippee, we have had a tow bar fitted. We have ordinary bikes but think we might get electric bikes before long. I have seen a thule easy fold 931, over £400 gulp, a atera strada 2686 for about £300 and a saffier 2 at john cross for £179. Any recommendations about these or any others gratefully received please. Thanks in advance.

We have the Thule 916, specifically made for E bikes. Capacity 60 kg. We no longer have a use for this and would consider selling it. It has been used only once, (genuinely), before we changed our van and the bikes now fit inside the new van. It is in excellent, as new condition. If you are interested please PM me.

OP
OP
C
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thankyou ludo, i will endeavor to pm you once we have seen the towbar in place!

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
I use a thule towbar for two Kalkhoff electric bikes and also have my spare on there as only the gunk type came with motorhome.
2 years like this and no problems.
Motorbike chain through spare wheel and carrier and tow bar, 3 various bike lock devices holding bikes together and secured to rack- plus locks on holding arm on bike rack.
I have a very good kalkhoff pro connect for sale if you are interested. Had to change wifes to a step through as opposed to crossbar.
Keep meaning to list it on here in items for sale.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We looked at these at the NEC, so far have seen and played with Witter, Westfalia, Cykell and another on the Towtrust stand. The best, easiest, neatest was probably the Witter ZXE502, closely followed by Cykell (pricey). Would like to see and play with some more before deciding.

Some alarms have a fitting (cable) that can be used to protect bikes on the back, sure someone on the forum was trying to do this with a Sigma S34 rece3ntly, and the Vanbitz Strikeback definitely has that option.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
We bought a BAKRAK when we looked at the cost and weight limits of most racks. Basic BAKRAK is less than £100 and then you just fit a couple of bike holders. Mine were on a roof rack I had so I swapped them over. I've got a good lock to keep the rack on the Motorhome and 2 motorcycle locks to keep the bikes on the rack! Good cover as well keeps things out of sight!

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
I use a thule towbar for two Kalkhoff electric bikes and also have my spare on there as only the gunk type came with motorhome.
2 years like this and no problems.
Motorbike chain through spare wheel and carrier and tow bar, 3 various bike lock devices holding bikes together and secured to rack- plus locks on holding arm on bike rack.
I have a very good kalkhoff pro connect for sale if you are interested. Had to change wifes to a step through as opposed to crossbar.
Keep meaning to list it on here in items for sale.
do you have a price in mind?

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
£700 for the bike. Can take some pics tomorrow.
Kalkhoff Pro-Connect good condition - battery still able to do 20 miles plus in the hilly peak district - 2 chargers if you wanted to use it to commute or I can keep one of them to sell on.
Size for people 5' 8" and above - sprung seat post and large saddle for comfort, panniers but no bags in sale.
good brakes, tyres, etc.
Usual Kalkhoff build quality - pedelec with three settings or easily ride without battery power to save power for the hills if on an extended ride or if unable to get EHU.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
not a clue what type of panel van you have. what ever you buy make sure you can open back doors with bikes loaded if you use eurotunnel for gas expectations...thats if gas access via rear doors of course

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best
£700 for the bike. Can take some pics tomorrow.
Kalkhoff Pro-Connect good condition - battery still able to do 20 miles plus in the hilly peak district - 2 chargers if you wanted to use it to commute or I can keep one of them to sell on.
Size for people 5' 8" and above - sprung seat post and large saddle for comfort, panniers but no bags in sale.
good brakes, tyres, etc.
Usual Kalkhoff build quality - pedelec with three settings or easily ride without battery power to save power for the hills if on an extended ride or if unable to get EHU.
i am a titch..just 5'2

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
Oh it would be to bug for you then but have a look at the Kalkhoff ladies step through bikes which my wife has moved onto and very happy with.
There was one on ebay last night I think.

Reactions: Sue
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I just bought this...
$_57.JPG

£181.26 delivered from Germany

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Sorry, very busy at work today...

The link: http://r.ebay.com/NLdbMO

The listing gives more information and provides additional images images.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back