Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I noted a thread on here on how to keep your motorhome toasty warm in winter.........being a mixture of oil heaters and electric.
My question is which are the best,cheapest, worst and best value for your penny's :)

The calculation came to 2.8kw....................does this mean I have to unplug some of them in order to boil the kettle?

Also I was looking at some black glass looking wall mounted heaters............anyone got one?

Boo

atadloopy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2007
nottingham
Funster No
Exp
30+ years
we had a plinth heater fitted rated at 3kw but can be used at 1,2 or3kw with remote switch without doubt the best thing we ever did, runs very quiety and keeps us warm as toast even on the coldest days, the heater is the type fitted in kitchen units. if we are on a site where the supplys not so good just turn it down while we boil the kettle ect.

S

stagman

Deleted User
I noted a thread on here on how to keep your motorhome toasty warm in winter.........being a mixture of oil heaters and electric.
My question is which are the best,cheapest, worst and best value for your penny's :)

The calculation came to 2.8kw....................does this mean I have to unplug some of them in order to boil the kettle?

Also I was looking at some black glass looking wall mounted heaters............anyone got one?

Boo

I would suggest 2 or 3 low wattage fan heaters the ceramic type are great spread throughout the van .The fan heaters circulate the air far better than the oil :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Boo

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
we had a plinth heater fitted rated at 3kw but can be used at 1,2 or3kw with remote switch without doubt the best thing we ever did, runs very quiety and keeps us warm as toast even on the coldest days, the heater is the type fitted in kitchen units. if we are on a site where the supplys not so good just turn it down while we boil the kettle ect.

A Plinth heater? you mean like they have above doors in shops?

but don't fan heaters dry the air and your skin out?

Boo

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
A Plinth heater? you mean like they have above doors in shops?

but don't fan heaters dry the air and your skin out?

Boo
:ROFLMAO: You have just found the holy grail :ROFLMAO: quote ::bigsmile:don't fan heaters dry the air and your skin out?::bigsmile: if it is doing that = no condensation :ROFLMAO:Before anyone say it I know you can still get condensation :ROFLMAO: Dry skin ? skin cream :thumb:(only a woman :ROFLMAO:)
Plinth heaters are about ÂŁ40 from B & Q or you can go for a fan heater from Argos type stores for around a tenner with thermostatic control :thumb:Left on a low heat setting turning it's self on and off,not too bad on noise but on full power very noisy :ROFLMAO:
terry

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Bought a Delonghi 800w, oil filled radiator and left it on setting number 4 in this cold spell we have just had,, and each time I went in it was nice and warm, not overly hot but pleasant. turns itself on and off,. And as far as I can see not expensive to run,,, obviously on a site the financial side would not matter.

This was recommended by a member of this club and I am glad I took their advice,, :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Heating an RV is more difficult than a small euro van.. one 3kw fan heater will heat the lounge but no where else.. you need at least two or three heat sources, fan heaters laying on the floor are a trip hazard and noisy and I wouldn't leave a fan heater on untended.

We have two 800 watt flat panel (about 25mm thick) wall mounted oil heaters by Delonghi , one in the bedroom and one in the lounge. To heat the toilet and shower a 200watt wall mounted green house type heater from B&Q..
These are safe, can be left on 24/7.. total power 1800 watt . leaving 1800 watt for other uses.
To monitor and manage the power I fitted an Owl wireless power meter, from Argos. this has an alarm can be set to whatever supply you have , on 16A EHU 230v you have 3.68 kw to play with.. I set the alarm at 3.5 kw for a margin of safety.

This is adequate for all but the coldest days, it can be supplemented by using the hot air furnace for a short time..

You can also acclimatise to a few degrees below 21c, what many consider as 'normal' , put a jumper on and 16 - 18c is warm enough.

Last edited:

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
heater metrix

does anyone know how to bleed the system can t get any thing near hot just blows warm air and it s bloody freezing.thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back