Mar 4, 2015
Bideford
Funster No
MH
Mazda Bongo conversion
Exp
since 2007
Hi
I've a Mazda Bongo which is insured under a motorhome policy and have bought an old LDV Convoy 17 seater minibus which I want to convert into a motorhome eventually, but this will take some months. I have had all the seats removed apart from 3 in the front of the van but cannot seem to get any insurer to take it on as it is - has anyone please got any ideas??

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Hi
I've a Mazda Bongo which is insured under a motorhome policy and have bought an old LDV Convoy 17 seater minibus which I want to convert into a motorhome eventually, but this will take some months. I have had all the seats removed apart from 3 in the front of the van but cannot seem to get any insurer to take it on as it is - has anyone please got any ideas??

Adrian Flux should be able to help.

You may also want to check out this site.
Link Removed

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Can you not get insurance on it as just a LDV convoy van, then once full conversion is complete, including re-classification with dvla obtain insurance as a motorhome. Sorry if that is what you meant by insurance not entertaining it as a van in the first instance, but I can see there would be a problem trying to insure as a motorhome when only seats have been removed and no conversion having been made. Just a thought but maybe someone with knowledge of doing these projects may be able to offer better advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Can you not get insurance on it as just a LDV convoy van, then once full conversion is complete, including re-classification with dvla obtain insurance as a motorhome. Sorry if that is what you meant by insurance not entertaining it as a van in the first instance, but I can see there would be a problem trying to insure as a motorhome when only seats have been removed and no conversion having been made. Just a thought but maybe someone with knowledge of doing these projects may be able to offer better advice.
Adrian Flux will insure a project as it proceeds but there is a timescale to have it done....3 months i think.
Once one has a bed( 6'1") fitted, cooking facilities and a washbasin....can then be classified as a motor caravan and you then register it as such. Continuing with the conversion at will.
Bearing in mind if one converts a panel van it would need a side window to qualify as a motor caravan.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Once one has a bed( 6'1") fitted, cooking facilities and a washbasin....can then be classified as a motor caravan

More to it than that now.

A bed, which can convert from seating and nonspecific size, a wardrobe/large cupboard.
A table (can be removable but fixings must be part of van..ie: screwed or bolted to floor or wall.
Suitable seating.
A water supply (does not need to be pumped)

And the outside now must look like a motorhome...not a van with a window or a minibus.
An awning, a TV aerial, a fridge or boiler outlet grill, graphics etc all count.

The days of a white van with a mattress chucked in the back then registered as a motorhome are long gone.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Just to be a bit more specific about that table, it can be a fold down one, as long as there are fixings for it folded down, attached to the van. That's what our Bessacar was like - no fixed table, but the table supplied was fixed fold down, to the inside, side wall of the wardrobe when not being used.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I think the top and bottom of this is that you can't just rip the seats out and call it a motorhome. There has to be quite substantial modification to show it is a mobile living accommodation to fulfil the requirements needed to class it as such (y).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back