Thetford toilet flush (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2010
trawden lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Need some ideas our toilet has ceased to flush!
I have checked there is 12v live cleaned the fuse taken the switch apart cleaned the contacts put it back together correctly, now I am stuck.
Dosen't bother me I go round the back of the van anyway but Joyce likes to here the swish of water
It's a standard thetford toilet and grey cassette
Thanks in anticipation John

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As you've checked everything else it looks like the electrically operated valve is faulty. Afraid I don't know how to access it though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Assuming it has its own water tank and doesn't draw water from the main on board tank Its a fair bet the pump has died, we seem to be having a run on them failing at the moment. Submersible pumps don't like being dried out and often go rusty inside and seize up.

D.

OP
OP
hoot007
Aug 19, 2010
trawden lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi thanks for the suggestions so far.
There is no thetford no. But it is fed from a pipe connected to the cold system I.e. no tank and as mentioned above it will have an electrical valve somewhere I will search for it and report back

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi thanks for the suggestions so far.
There is no thetford no. But it is fed from a pipe connected to the cold system I.e. no tank and as mentioned above it will have an electrical valve somewhere I will search for it and report back
You might find this helpful:

Link Removed

OP
OP
hoot007
Aug 19, 2010
trawden lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi may have found the problem the electro magnet valve which is rated at 10 watt is just under the seat you have to remove the pan to find it, removed it connected it direct to a battery it functions fine checked the wiring seems fine except there is a 1n 5408 diode connected to the spade CONNECTORS I guess this is faulty when the button is presset the connectors show 12v with a tester I connected a light across the wires and it is very dull I.e not enough power to the electro Vale I am not an electronic genius would anyone no if my guess is correct I don't know what a diode does.
Thanks john

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The diode suppresses a spark that would be caused as you release the flush switch. Sparking would wear the switch out and happens because the switch is operating an electromagnet in the valve. Your next test is to re-connect the wires to the valve, connect your meter across the valve, then check the reading with the flush button pressed. I suspect from your test with a bulb that you won't see the full 12v. If so you need to trace the supply to the toilet back to its source - there'll be a fuse and an earth connection somewhere nearby. One or the other will be dirty/corroded/slack.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi john , joyce sorry cant be of more help , but above posts seem to cover the things you need to look at.
can say that if the diode went faulty you would either have a short which you don't seem to have, or the valve would still work but your switch would eventually fail as pointed out above... ie don't think your problem is a dodgy diode (its just a one way electric valve....allows current flow in one direction only )
hope your trip is going well apart from your faulty loo. :)
ta andy

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello J + J, not got the answer, but my flush froze in Scotland in January, a cup of water from the sink does exactly the same job :)

David

edit = John you will just need to make an appropriate buzzing noise at the same time :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back