advise please, purchasing a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Angela Dyer

Free Member
Jan 7, 2015
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Good morning.
I am looking to purchase a motorhome. I am a beginner at large.
My requirements are
4 berth
U shaped lounge.
Shower cubicle...not one that showers the toilet, w/basin as well.
Turning front seats
Central heating hot/cold.
These are just the essentials.
Can someone let me know what make to look out for.
£24,000 or under is my hopeful price
Thank you kindly

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
That sounds like a Hymer 634 not sure they still make it new but Rapido now do a model like that. Not sure what you mean by hot and cold central heating.

Nelly

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Various makers produce such layouts. Have a look round local dealers and, if possible, go along to a show like Peterborough next month.
One tip to watch out for is to make sure the van you choose has sufficient belted travel seats.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
To get that layout , ie U shaped lounge , .. with 4 belted seats, you are probably looking at a six berth..

Double bed in the U shaped lounge , double bet in the dinette which should have at least two belted seats, and an overcab bed.. or drop down bed if an A class.

That makes it quite a large van .. do you have a maximum length and weight in mind ?

.. and also consider your driving license .. can you drive over 3.5 ton ? .. ie is it pre 1997 with grandfather rights ?

I don't think the Hymer 634 has 4 belted traveling seats..

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If by the "cold" bit of "Central heating hot/cold" you mean air conditioning (A/C) then there are two main types. First there is "cab A/C" which is the sort of A/C you might expect in a car. When the engine is running it blows cold air at you from vents in the dash. A slightly Marmite feature, a few don't like it or can't see the purpose but I think anyone (bound to be an exception somewhere!) who has tried it will be won over. Useful in winter too as it helps demist the windscreen as the humidity in the air is lowered. At the risk of being shot down I would list this as an essential if you have plans to go anywhere hot.

Then there is A/C in the living/sleeping area. These are generally roof mounted and need a mains supply to run them. They sound perfect but they can be noisy and in my experience of living in the tropics for a while there is a great danger you don't become acclimatised and spend all day hiding in the cooled area (my office) and are reluctant to go outside. However, when I lived in Kuwait A/C in your house and office was an essential. I went camping in Jordan in May once and after 10:00 in the morning you couldn't move so we left the tent and went driving in the air conditioned car. In high summer it was cruel. But you might just need to keep cool for medical reasons so I would not be judgemental but habitation area A/C is not common and most folk get along fine without it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Advice I always give to first time buyers is Hire before you buy. Even though we had been tuggers for 20 years we still hired a couple of vans before buying. Weren't able to hire the exact layout we were interested in but we did find out what we couldn't live with.
Unless you go for an A Class like the Hymer where you have a drop down bed, a U shaped lounge really does limit your choice & you end up with a hotch botch of a bed that has to be made up every night and often lumpy & uncomfortable as well.
Broken Link Removed

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
think long and hard about the U shaped lounge. the main activity and time spent in a motorhome is sleeping..bed comfort one of the most important issues. making one up every single night, on a sofa? just think about it lol. Also with rear bed/beds layout & front lounge, one can still be in bed and one up front in lounge, cooking, laptop, whatever, without disturbing one and other. Don't know what sort of use you envisage but we spend most our time outside...

OP
OP
A

Angela Dyer

Free Member
Jan 7, 2015
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Wow..looks like I will have to rethink the lounge bit.
Lennyhb what restrictions would I have. Also what is an A class?
Judgemental thank you.
What is the best layout for me to be looking for. I am confused.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
@Angela Dyer

the best bit of advice I can give today is to buy Motorhome Buyers Guide.. publish by Jim , site owner..
http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/motorhome-buyers-guide/

it is an excellent guide for both novice and old hand.. read and digest..

You said you wanted four berths.. I assumed there are four of you ?

If so, you require four belted seats.. none of the Hymers suggested have that..

Four belted seats are usually found in family vans with a four seat dinette table.

your best plan is to look at a few vans at dealers .. make a list of 'must have's

start list with

1. four belted traveling seats
2. lounge
3 at least four berths ..
4. toilet with separate shower
5. etc
6. MAM.. that is 'max authorised mass' or weight of vehicle that you are licenced to drive.. assume 3.5ton unless you sat your test pre 1997

show your list to a salesperson..

don't rush .. ask on here about anything you've seen and liked ..

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Wow..looks like I will have to rethink the lounge bit.
Lennyhb what restrictions would I have. Also what is an A class?
Judgemental thank you.
What is the best layout for me to be looking for. I am confused.

dont get me wrong many happy with rear lounge..just offering a different point of view. most european vans favour the kind of layouts we like.
rear twin single beds - french bed (what we have) - transverse bed.

transverse, best for space, keeps length of van reasonable. but you have to climb over each other the only downside:) just go to a really good show dont listen to dealer BS and have a look at whats available. below

A class
coachbuilt
PVC panel van camper
A class.png

coachbuilt.jpg

PVC or panel van (what we have).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Angela Dyer

Free Member
Jan 7, 2015
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
ScotJimland, I will order they ebook and take note of your advise.
Judgemental you must have a large motorhome..what is a transverse bed please.
This will take me ages to find what I want.
So much to look for.
Thank you.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Payload is king & as a general rule, if you are limited to 3500kg, the bigger the van the smaller the payload.Don't forget the "payload" also has to include the weight of the driver & passengers. If you are not restricted to 3500kg then no problem, but still check the payload & don't believe the brochures or salesmen.
Then layout & this is very important depending on how you intend to use the 'van i.e. on/off sites,
Mainly UK/abroad, Self catering/eating out, Summer only/all year, etc. etc.
As suggested try before you buy, some dealers will hire you the van & deduct the hire fee if you buy.

Trekker

Free Member
Nov 14, 2014
south lake district
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2004
That sounds like a Hymer 634 not sure they still make it new but Rapido now do a model like that. Not sure what you mean by hot and cold central heating.

Nelly
Hymer 634 does not have separate shower, It's integral with toilet. You are correct in that they are not made new any more. We are happy with ours. (634). But where you lose space in 1 area you gain in another. Main problem with integral shower is you always have to stand on shower base to use toilet and wash basin.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
ScotJimland, I will order they ebook and take note of your advise.
Judgemental you must have a large motorhome..what is a transverse bed please.
This will take me ages to find what I want.
So much to look for.
Thank you.

Nope we have an identical, same colour, as smallest one in above pictures. A possl 636 FR ( french bed model) we like panel van campers. Less issues that inflict their larger cousins . Steel body, normally no leaks, fast, economical and excellent handling

Transverse is a large bed across back wall. Normalyvover a big garage...Google is your friend use it :)

Common layouts in this link:

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Hi Angela.
We are in a similar situation has yourself but perhaps a little further along.
I can highly recommend Jim's book.
Enjoy looking. It's a minefield.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
:welc:Hi Angela, you're dead right it IS a minefield! Once you've read Jim's book make yourself up a sheet listing needs, wants, would likes. Then make several copies and start going round the shows and dealers. With your budget show items are probably going to be out of reach, nevertheless it will give you a better idea. Narrow it down to a few models then do a more detailed inspection. Imagine you're living in it in all types of weather for example.

We did this and took 18 months, plus a couple of hires, before we decided on what we wanted - and got it right first time. Getting It wrong can be an expensive mistake.

Why not come along to a show where the Funsters are having a meet, make yourself known and see what we come up with. Remember though that everybody has different ideas about their ideal van.

The very best of luck, oh and by the way, WELCOME

OP
OP
A

Angela Dyer

Free Member
Jan 7, 2015
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
So what MH does have a separate shower and U shaped lounge.
Am I causing myself more complications.
I have downloaded the MH ebook as advised.

OP
OP
A

Angela Dyer

Free Member
Jan 7, 2015
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Ok I have £24,000 to spend. Two of us and grandchildren to visit. Now please help.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Keep in mind that dealers have just sold a lot of new vans, and also have a lot of second hand on their forecourts. So, plenty of variety to see, and they will be wanting to shift them. Follow the advice in the book mentioned above and you should be in a good position.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hello Angela,
New to motorhoming - how exciting! Daunting though eh?

Just take it a step at a time. All of us will shower you with so much advice, you won't know your A-Class from your elbow! :D

My tip would be, pop along to a Motorhome Show where Motorhome Fun is in attendance. Either head for the MHF marquee or look for our 'smilie' flags. Our ringleader (Jim) or wife (Sian) will be there, as will other funsterati. There will be more motorhomes than you can shake a stick at! Any one of us will give you a tour of their 'van and show you what set-up does what, or you can browse the exhibitor's vehicles. The great thing about doing this is, actually seeing vehicles is worth a 1000 words. By the end of the day, I'll guarantee that you will be able to spot an A-Class from 500yds and know that PVC has nothing to do with textiles!

Happy hunting
Come and say hello.
James

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Ok I have £24,000 to spend. Two of us and grandchildren to visit. Now please help.
Hi we have a Geist Spirit on a Transit which is exactly as you are looking for.
Try in Auto Trader
We like it and it suits us, German build quality on Ford mechanicals.

£24,995
2007 GEIST SPIRIT 598 4 berth Ushape lounge with rear seatbelts for kids Diesel in Bridlington
Trade Seller: Springfield Motorhomes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back