Parking for Glastonbury Tor (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Struggling to find any posts on the web that don't revolve around the festival.
As we're in the area, I thought it would be a nice, fun walk for my lot. Options seem to be to either:
1) stay at one of the campsites in the area and Avonlea seems to be the only one suitable - only downside is we probably don't really want to overnight for what will only be a 2/3 hour visit, and some have mentioned that the road's a bit hairy to walk along OR
2) Park in the town centre and take the NT minibus/walk to the site from there - only I've no idea of the size of the parking bays available. Our MH is over 8.5 metres, so not really town friendly.
Will have to get used to this planning malarkey. Last time we camped we just all got in the X5 and went! I'm sure we'll get used to it though.
Doable, or should we give this one a miss?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
From what I can remember I think you will have problems parking in the town center @ 8.5m and roads are as you say a bit of a nightmare
@6m

OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Bummer - sounds like a place that needs a Britstop or 2! :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you could try OLD Oaks caravan site its right at the bottom of the hill from the Tor and an off road walk. its not cheap but has ultra modern facilities and open now.
the car parks in town are a bit tight.

the other alternative is to park in the dedicated to motorhome / caravans park for the Clark's centre in Street, and get the bus to Glastonbury its only a few miles. then get some retail therapy in the Clarks village.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
It might be possible to park at the Riflemans Arms (pub), you would need to give them a call. http://www.findmypub.com/properties/view/18685

For convenience, Old Oaks is the best bet.

Sadly, due to the Tor's popularity (and wild campers) all nearby roads are double yellowed....

There are supermarkets the other side of the town, but it's a fair old walk from there to the Tor - would probably be easier to get the bus from Clarks village.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
pm @The Hutchies. They have a site within walking distance I believe.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Certainly not the place to try and park any motorhome,bad enough finding a place to park a car .....been there seen that,done that ,!!!! Go by bus and relax.

Malden

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Hebburn, Tyne and Wear
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Struggling to find any posts on the web that don't revolve around the festival.
As we're in the area, I thought it would be a nice, fun walk for my lot. Options seem to be to either:
1) stay at one of the campsites in the area and Avonlea seems to be the only one suitable - only downside is we probably don't really want to overnight for what will only be a 2/3 hour visit, and some have mentioned that the road's a bit hairy to walk along OR
2) Park in the town centre and take the NT minibus/walk to the site from there - only I've no idea of the size of the parking bays available. Our MH is over 8.5 metres, so not really town friendly.
Will have to get used to this planning malarkey. Last time we camped we just all got in the X5 and went! I'm sure we'll get used to it though.
Doable, or should we give this one a miss?

Hi we stay at Glastonbury Cottages and Caravanning, Edgarley Farm, Edgarley Road, Glastonbury it is at the bottom of the Tor, it only has 5 pitches but pitch 5 is quite large, you have to be a member of the camping and caravanning club to stay there - facilities are basic, we are booked on at easter and it is £15 per night which includes electric hook up. It is along the road from the Riflemans. I think the road is the A361 but don't quote me on that. Hope this is of help.

OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Thanks everyone.
Yes, didn't mention Oaks as I knew that one was Adults only. I may be getting Avonlea and Glastonbury Cottages mixed up as I've read uk campsite reviews for both. It was probably the Cottages site where campers didn't recommend walking along the A road. Didn't really want to part with any cash to camp in the town anyway, just fancied taking a picnic up the hill, weather permitting.
If the buses aren't once a day, or something silly, I'm sure the MH parking at Clarks village might be just the ticket - thanks all. :)

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
The tor is a very easy walk from the town centre.
There are coach and long vehicle spaces on one of the town centre car parks.
There is also plenty of unrestricted on-street parking literally just two minutes` walk away.

OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
pm @The Hutchies. They have a site within walking distance I believe.
Hmmm. Wonder which site this is? I can only spy 3 within walking distance.
I've thought about asking one of the Glastonbury sites if we could pay a reduced pitch fee for parking up for a few hours. Something equivalent to the bus fare perhaps. Might stop his lordship worrying about the van getting 'dinged' at Clarks. :LOL:

OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
The tor is a very easy walk from the town centre.
There are coach and long vehicle spaces on one of the town centre car parks.
There is also plenty of unrestricted on-street parking literally just two minutes` walk away.
I know the Tor is open from dawn to dusk. Do you know if the car park you mention has a barrier outside certain hours? As it's holiday time in April, just thought it might be sensible to go early in the morning to nab a spot. I guess if coaches can get in, we can too.

OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Coaches get in, lorries get in, even our little van
Nice outfit!
I just had a virtual 'drive' around the Menzies street carpark and saw the coach bays. Will check with council re parking as I've just struck Baldock off my list of places to park after an overzealous warden's fine, recently. :rolleyes:
Here's a spooky thing - I google-mapped myself into the car park - coach bays all empty. 'Walked' out to the A361, turned round, came back to the car park and the coach bays were now full. :confused: Filmed on different days I guess. :D

OP
OP
Jeannette van den Oever
Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Make that 'Magdelene Street', sorry. Also noticed the 'no parking in coach bays' bit, before anyone politely points this out.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Make that 'Magdelene Street', sorry. Also noticed the 'no parking in coach bays' bit, before anyone politely points this out.

Avoid Magdalene St. car Park!
It is always horrendously busy in the daytime.
There is a car Park immediately behind the High Street which has easy access and another on Feversham Lane with equally easy access.

amphsa

Free Member
May 30, 2013
burry port
Funster No
MH
c class hymer swing
Exp
started motorhoming in 2013 after 20 + years caravaning
Pitch 5 in Glastonbury Cottages is ideal for a night £15.Access from the site straight onto the Tor. Otherwise you may be able to park in the coach area in the carpark by Proper Job

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back