How do you use your Truma heating? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
My last two motorhomes had Alde heating, but my new Chausson has diesel/electric Truma heating. I have to be honest and say I'm not really sure how to best use it?

The Alde was easy. Set the timer to switch it on and off in the morning and evening when needed, and if it was left on overnight you could set it to reduce the temperature for a comfortable nights sleep. Pretty much like a home central heating system. The Truma however just seems to have an on and an off setting. I have the newer control panel but can't work out how best to use it, short of lowering the temperature when you go to bed and increasing it in the morning, or setting a time for it to turn on in the morning and turn off at night when the chilly nights eventually fade to a memory. It just seems too simple and lacking in settings, or am I missing something? The Chausson owners manual is not the best I have to agree. Surely there should be two settable heating periods?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have the truma 6e works on gas and electric, we just set the thermostat to what ever setting we want and it switching on and off when required.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Us too but we like it cold at night to sleep which means we get up cold. I reach out and turn the fan heater on 5 minutes before I push the wife out getting up. Another thing is if we leave it on hot water at night the mattress gets too hot as the Truma is right under my side of the bed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With the CP-Plus controller you can only set one on/off time period. When setting the timer make sure you turn the heater & water heating off first otherwise it can throw a wobbly.
We only use the timer to turn heating & water on for a couple of hours in the morning, rest of the time control it manually we dont use heating at night. If it is going to be a very cold night sometimes set a low temperature so the heating will turn on if temp drops.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When we are awake we just switch it (Truma C3402) on and off as required, with the thermostat controlling the temperature. It is only on at night if low temperatures threaten to dump the water. In the morning I turn the water heater on then jump back into bed for half an hour to give it time to warm up for my shower.

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
We just adjust the temperature control as required and leave it on low through the night. Our heater is the Truma 4E.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think you guys are getting confused the OP has a CP-Plus controller, which has a built in timer.

index.jpg

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
We have the same controller as pictured above. The heating arrangement in our Exsis is brilliant, with outlets all round the van and under the rear bed. We just set the temp on the controller to 17* and the fan speed to Eco at night, warm as toast, love it. Howerver there is a timer to control on an off cycle but we don't bother with it just raise and lower the temp to suit. In fact we find it a better system than the alde we had in our Carthago Opus the Alde system fluctuated to much on the Opus.

Wobby

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have the same controller as pictured above. The heating arrangement in our Exsis is brilliant, with outlets all round the van and under the rear bed. We just set the temp on the controller to 17* and the fan speed to Eco at night, warm as toast, love it. Howerver there is a timer to control on an off cycle but we don't bother with it just raise and lower the temp to suit. In fact we find it a better system than the alde we had in our Carthago Opus the Alde system fluctuated to much on the Opus.

Wobby
Unfortunately my van didn't come with one, Hymer were just starting to fit them when my van was built, so I fitted one myself.
We don't tend to run heating at night but use the timer so van is warm when we get up & can jump straight in the shower. One of the best things about it is the accurate control of temperature it can be set anywhere between 0 -32 deg, and you can calibrate it as well, to compensate for the position of the Truma sensor, so when it's set to 20 the van is actually at 20. Also it gives much more accurate fan speed control.
Have to agree Hymer have done a superb job with heat distribution in the Exsis, once up to temp the fan speed is so low you can't hear it and the temperature stays constant.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Truma DIESEL/ electric?
I know they are available but I thought Chausson used Webasto.

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
It's a brand new jobbie so I guess they must have switched to Truma?

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will have to just get used to changing the temperature at night and leaving it on all the time. One of the joys of motor homing is to get up to a warm van and a cup of coffee in bed!

LilacMoss

Free Member
Jan 10, 2015
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking again....
Exp
Im a newbie...since Sept 14
It's a brand new jobbie so I guess they must have switched to Truma?

Thanks for all the replies. I think I will have to just get used to changing the temperature at night and leaving it on all the time. One of the joys of motor homing is to get up to a warm van and a cup of coffee in bed!

Ive been following the thread as I was having the same issues...looks like Im going to have to do the same...(y):)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I control mine from bed :p and can put the heating on by SMS before I pick the van up.
CA_02031518542851-XL.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Us too but we like it cold at night to sleep which means we get up cold. I reach out and turn the fan heater on 5 minutes before I push the wife out getting up. Another thing is if we leave it on hot water at night the mattress gets too hot as the Truma is right under my side of the bed.
One of those flash guys that uses EHU.:LOL:

Don't go near it myself might get a shock :) At the price they charge for it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back