iboost antenna range improvement (1 Viewer)

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi I understand that the I boost pro D8 antenna has been detuned to comply with British and European regulations, if go to a country whose regulations are not so restrictive how can I improve the antenna range.??:whistle:.Roy

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi I understand that the I boost pro D8 antenna has been detuned to comply with British and European regulations, if go to a country whose regulations are not so restrictive how can I improve the antenna range.??:whistle:.Roy

The restriction is regards to antenna output - this is how loud you can shout. In 90% of cases turning the power up will not make any improvement since the issue will likely be the signal from the source is so poor. If you're trying to pick up an old Linksys B/G router sat behind some campsite reception desk it doesn't matter if you have jodwell bank on your van, it's not going to receive anything.

If you was outside of the EU, there is one box to untick in the interface which allows you to turn the power slider up. I would never turn it up all the way - since aside from operating illegally you will create a load of noise and interference and actually make things worse.

The only time where this will make any difference is if you are connecting to a high power installation, with line of sight without any obstructions or local interference (not a campsite with 3 2.4Ghz WiFi devices to every van clambering for the same band). Eg over water to a marina or something similar like that. In that situation you can hear the other side of the link, but it cannot hear you. Therefore if you was outside of Europe you might like to increase the power by 1 or 2 points until you establish a connection. I would always return this back to the legal limit irrespective of which country you are in before moving on.

In some situations you might actually like to turn the power down if the signal is too good as has happened this winter on a few sites. Just like shouting in someones ear, if you shout to loud you start to distort.

Apologies for my terrible analogies - but hope that explains it in simple terms for everyone.

Adam

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Good answer Adam, but there is also the heat factor, more power more heat more chance of damaging the unit.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Good answer Adam, but there is also the heat factor, more power more heat more chance of damaging the unit.
I suspect the differences in power between the settings are measured in tens of mW.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I suspect the differences in power between the settings are measured in tens of mW.

More to the point, if their software allows MAX then we assume their hardware copes with MAX.

More of a concern is how much microwave power some can pump out, they are power limited in some countries on the grounds of danger to nearby human beings. Having as high powered one inside is not a good move.

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
More to the point, if their software allows MAX then we assume their hardware copes with MAX.

More of a concern is how much microwave power some can pump out, they are power limited in some countries on the grounds of danger to nearby human beings. Having as high powered one inside is not a good move.

Yes - the unit has a temperature cut out although I've not known one to cut out as in reality its only generating power (and heat) when its transmitting and you will never in practice get anywhere near to the 150MBps the unit is capable off in terms of throughput.

If you was in the USA WiFi is a free for all on the majority of 2.4Ghz bands and the result is better range but also a lot of noise so the mean reason is to keep the crowded 2.4Ghz band as noise free as possible.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't think it will turn up far enough to be a danger :).

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm just generalising but I'm sure I've seen 5000mW advertised on ebay. I would not want that stuck to a window a few feet from my head.
At 5W that's in mobile phone or pro walkie-talkie territory but pointless anyway. There's little point in exceeding the power of the transmission you're trying to receive - which will be at a low, legal, level.

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
The sooner we get Wi-Fi off 2.4GHz the better. Dont suppose iBoost would welcome that though?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I'm sure Addie will answer this in more detail, but until the wifi providers change over to the 5GHz band then 2.4GHz is here to stay for the foreseeable future. There is already a 5GHz antenna like the one Addie currently supplies, however there are very few if any wifi providers using it yet. I use 5GHz at home and to be honest distance is not as good as the 2GHz band.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I have tried translating this thread into Greek, but it's no clearer.

What does all this stuff mean?

Is my iboost still ok to use?

The "Greek" bit you don't have to worry about - The GHz bands are about frequency changes and again nothing to worry about and lastly your iBoost will be fine and work forever and a day....(y)

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
I'm sure Addie will answer this in more detail, but until the wifi providers change over to the 5GHz band then 2.4GHz is here to stay for the foreseeable future. There is already a 5GHz antenna like the one Addie currently supplies, however there are very few if any wifi providers using it yet. I use 5GHz at home and to be honest distance is not as good as the 2GHz band.

Distance no, more channels yes, less crowded yes, channel bonding yes

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back