Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
OK, I finally got one toaday !View attachment 55631
it's the Common Frog (Rana temporaria ) there are only two specs of frogs in the uk the other is the Pool Frog (Pelophylax lessonae).
ther is only two speces of toad in the uk Common Toad (Bufo bufo) and the Natterjack Toad (Epidalea calamita)
bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
it's the Common Frog (Rana temporaria ) there are only two specs of frogs in the uk the other is the Pool Frog (Pelophylax lessonae).
ther is only two speces of toad in the uk Common Toad (Bufo bufo) and the Natterjack Toad (Epidalea calamita)
bill
................ and you can test for frog or toad with your fingertip - toads don't jump.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Don't let the dog near it as they exude a poison that will kill in minutes. hasn't got to eat it just get it in mouth/on lips , etc.

http://www.vets-now.com/pet-owners/dog-care-advice/poisonous-to-dogs/
Don't think this article is correct British todes are moor a irritant bad tasting causing salivation with no long lasting effects
Could be wrong but we had our dog effected last year and the vet was not to concerned when I drew his attention to this article he sad don't believe every thing on the internet.
bill

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
the things some girls will do to get a date.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Don't let the dog near it as they exude a poison that will kill in minutes. hasn't got to eat it just get it in mouth/on lips , etc.

http://www.vets-now.com/pet-owners/dog-care-advice/poisonous-to-dogs/
Our Yorkshire terrier was lucky then, he often picked them up spat a lot and foamed at mouth, next time he saw one would do the same again. lost him at 14 years old after he had broke his jaw for the second time after biting our german shepard. He was a right little scrapper.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think all toads have the same defence mechanism.
They have but it isn't dangerous. The only effect (from a British toad - and this one's a frog) is that a dog will only do it once. Having tasted the first one it will avoid any others like the plague.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The defence mechanism of toads is not that good - there was a squished one outside our house yesterday. However, it is still there today - the local crows and magpies are keeping away from it.

Must be a sign of spring though if they are now moving about, it was probably looking for the pond the other side of the road in this case.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
................ and you can test for frog or toad with your fingertip - toads don't jump.

I learn something every day on here.

I never knew toads didn't jump.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back