Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
I've just bought a 2005 vintage motorhome It has an Oyster Satellite dish, the box which tells the dish to look for satellites, and an ordinary domestic TV set. I have an inverter too as we often camp wild on 12V. We want to watch normal UK if poss, or failing that, other channels. We go to France, Spain, and other European countries a lot. What receiver do I need? Is it a free to air box I need? If so, what model do funsters recommend?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Before you spend any cash.. Get the system checked.. !!
There have been many satellite changes since 2005 and hence software for the Oyster.. Some early model I believe can no longer be upgraded, so especially for UK TV you may have to rely on manual tuning...
Sure Oyster users will be along soon with more info to help you out...

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Can't help with this but replying to keep at the top as I would like to know answer too

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
sorry can't help with the Oyster dish .. never used an auto one myself.. only manual crank ups and free standing..

your second question is YES.. you need a FTA (Free To Air) Digital receiver ... preferably a 12vdc model, no need for an inverter.

there are plenty on ebay from about £40 http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/12v-satellite-receiver

these boxes can tune into stations from any satellite your dish is pointed at..

For the UK it may be simpler and cheaper just to use an aerial with the built in Freeview tuner on your TV

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Get a cheap android tablet and put the Kodi app on it , bingo , any tv or sport or films you could want as long as you have wifi or a data sim.
No airial no nowt all free.
If you want to go mad you can invest on a chromecast £30 and have all your programs on your normal tv.

Apr 18, 2013
Nuthampstead
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
since 2013
If its an Oyster 1, (same as mine) it will find Astra 1, then you have to manual tune. Its not hard, and takes very little time. Shame to replace an expensive system.
I think Oyster 2 can still be updated.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Broken Link Removed
From this you can see which model your receiver is, if it's the one made from 2007 I have a some experience with that model.

OP
OP
funman

funman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
Broken Link Removed
From this you can see which model your receiver is, if it's the one made from 2007 I have a some experience with that model.
Hm, thanks Lenny, but I haven't got a receiver, just the dish and the pointing system! The man I bought the van from wanted to keep the receiver he had, and the telly.

OP
OP
funman

funman

Free Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset
Funster No
MH
la Strada Hi Top
Exp
Since 1972
Thanks everyone for all your comments. I think what I really want to know is: can I buy any free to air receiver or must it be specific to my make and model of dish? My dish is by Oyster but I'm unsure what model it is. Probably 4 but possibly 2. I was given manuals for both.
Off to Dunkirque tomorrow! Oo, the excitement...

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks everyone for all your comments. I think what I really want to know is: can I buy any free to air receiver or must it be specific to my make and model of dish? My dish is by Oyster but I'm unsure what model it is. Probably 4 but possibly 2. I was given manuals for both.
Off to Dunkirque tomorrow! Oo, the excitement...
You can buy a TV which will connect directly to your dish, they have the satellite receiver built in. Avtex are a common make and is what we have.

But as pointed out earlier you won't pick up BBC much below the middle of France, if that, since they tightened the beam early last year. It is possible to pick up some Sky channels further south but this needs a Sky account and a converted Sky box which will run on 12v, obtainable from time to time on fleabay , or a mains supply and a standard Sky box. Only you can say if this gives you anything worth watching!

There are ways of getting signals over the Internet but you need a very good connection and unlimited data. Forget it for touring.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back