LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Right I need to bite the bullet and start driving our motorhome, it's a 7.3 metre long Left hand drive automatic Hymer.
I'm too nervous to just get in it and drive so I'm considering a course.
I've found a CC one near me in April £155 for the day.

Anyone else done one? Or should I look at HGV lesson?

Any advice?

Don't forget we are in South wales and will need something nearish.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Shame you are in west wales.
Rick (motor roamin) has an HGV driving school and caters for folks like yourself who need a confidence boost and a few pointers.
hes in Leicester.
i believe the 'club' courses are taken 'off road' (car parks, airfields etc) so no real experience of real time traffic scenarios.
merely manouvering courses...correct road positioning, reversing etc.

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Do it, once you get the confidence you'll love it..

To do HGV you will need to get a provisional licence which requires a medical etc, so probably a little over the top.

Why not approach a HGV driving school as they may do an hourly rate, and maybe use your own MoHo with their instructor

Adrian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We did a course when we set off for our first long trip. Just for the 2 of us as there were none scheduled. The team does courses for CC & CCC but they tailored it for us in our own moho.
We did a little bit on an airfield (so the instructor could see we weren't going to kill him), some country lanes with single-lane sharp S bends, town main roads and narrow town back-streets with cars parked both sides, and a large roundabout onto a dual carriageway. Ours is 7m, right hand drive, automatic. Can't remember what we paid; we had 3 hours between us.
Him Indoors learned the most important thing as far as I'm concerned: SLOW DOWN. Also - if you're on a narrowish road with gritty edges & there's nobody else on the road, drive in the middle out of all the rubbish.
I learned not to be such a scaredy-cat, I can go backwards, and to drive to the outside of a turn.
Other stuff as well of course, but those are the main points I think.
Yes it was expensive, but we both value what we got out of it. (y)

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Never ever done a course...

Driven since 1973 with C1...

Just got out and done it...

Just about to go from 8.2 metres to 9.0 metres...

Slow and steady, use your mirrors and don't get rattled...

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Did you drive your old one Dawn? this really isn't a lot bigger, it just seems it :)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a post 97 driving license which meant I didn't have C1. I bought a 4500KG Eura mobil so had to take my C1 test.

I tell you that was the best thing I ever did. I still recommend anyone moving from a car to a MH should take a days HGV training. I thought I was a competent driver but still learnt a lot from that course. For me the awareness of the difference between a car and a large van was an eye opener. But the prize for me was the reversing tuition. I drive solo and don't use reversing cameras. That is down to the HGV training.

I am just about to take my C course/test with Rick and possibly going onto do my C+E after. He is an incredibly helpful guy when it comes to advice on these matters and it may be worth giving him a shout @motor roamin . Not sure if he can do this kind of training etc but worth giving him a shout.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks all, no David I didn't drive the last one, the biggest thing I've driven is a people carrier.

I met Motor roaming at Malvern and we did talk about his course but sadly it's too far away.

Really not sure whether to do the CC course or as suggested here find a local HGV driving centre and book some hours with them.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Leicester is 4 hours away from us, really want something nearer.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Biggest thing I had driven before was also a people carrier (VW Caravelle),flew over to Munich and drove an 8m LHD Frankia home to Scotland. I did have a clash of mirrors with an HGV on the way home but no damage done.:oops:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
What I'm trying to work out, hopefully from Funsters who have driving course experience is which is better value, CC motorhome manovering course or teaching time with HGV trainers.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What I'm trying to work out, hopefully from Funsters who have driving course experience is which is better value, CC motorhome manovering course or teaching time with HGV trainers.
HGV trainers....they are proffessionals, i suspect the club trainers are just experienced amateurs.
but i could be wrong

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
HGV trainers....they are proffessionals, i suspect the club trainers are just experienced amateurs.
but i could be wrong
The guy we had is a professional HGV trainer who also does caravan & motorhome manoeuvring courses for the clubs - the clubs book group courses at his training centre.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Mr Womble did CC caravan course (in a group) & did help but he thinks that an individual professional HGV qualified trainer should be much better. CC club training was good for getting extra discount on our caravan insurance. :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I did the CC 1 day caravan course, it was sub contracted to a professional HGV training company... it was very good within the limits of a one day course.
It certainly gave me the confidence that I could hitch up & tug safely.
Other options may, technically, be "better" - but surely if the CC course gives @Mousy the confidence to get behind the wheel of her MH then surely it'll be money well spent?

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Heck, I wish I'd had some tuition before driving a 28 foot fifth wheel from Rhode Island to California! The first 300 wet miles were the worst! The only advice I was given was on turning "take it wide, take it slow" and " them's take a lot of stoppin' in the wet". Both very true, but ........! I didn't hit anything, job done!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have never done a course, either with CC or an HGV school. what training i did get many years ago was from experienced military, police and fire service instructors. most of it on vehicles that handled like ungainly boats on the road
most important advice was to realise a longer, wider, taller and heavier vehicle should not be driven like a car. learn the turning point of the vehicle and think where the corners of the vehicle are and think before you act.
modern vehicles by design are far more user friendly and tolerant to bad driving. this results in sloppy driving technique and bad habits

my advice is get one to one advice and tuition with an instructor with years of experience. Most tuition these days is teaching people how to pass a driving test. not real world experience which gives better confidence

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Leicester is 4 hours away from us, really want something nearer.

I'm sure I remember one school near Culverhouse Cross just west of Cardiff Dawn. I'll phone around tomorrow, see if I can track them down.

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
I jumped into an 8.5 ton, 31 ft RV in Canada. Drove through Vancouver on my first day with no real experience of anything bigger than 3.5 tons. As I didn't need a special license in Canada, I just assumed that was because the roads were massive and there were super highways everywhere. The roads are the same size if not smaller then the UK - I kid you not - motorways are single lanes, especially heading up the mountains. I bricked myself the first day, but as has been said before - slowly does it. By the end of our 3.5 weeks and 2000 miles I was reversing into parking spots, 3 (or 9) points turns in small roads (thanks to poor map reading skills) with not too much difficulty.

Take it one step at a time and try not to be phased. Yes it will be different, but the basics are the same and (as I did) use a 'spotter' - just to give you an indication of how you're getting on, especially with width and on tight turns length. Then you can blame them if anything goes wrong ;)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Can't help with the courses but well done for wanting to give it a go(y)

All I have noticed is that I use my wing mirrors a lot more than I do driving the car.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
2 years ago, my company paid for all high mileage drivers (and therefore high risk) to undertake advanced driving course. Wow, what a difference it made, and I am now a much better driver,much more observant and confident, use my side mirrors more etc (even thoughI thought I was alright before.) Much of the same principles apply to m/h driving, and therefore I too am up for undertaking a motorhome course, main concerns being manoeuvring and junction space. Well done to @Mousy for raising this and if anyone knows anyone in Oxfordshire/West Midlands/Cotswolds area let me know. I will watch with interest

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
I did Rick's course last year. I knew about the CC courses but decided I really wanted one to one and a course that was longer that the CC ones. We drove on motorways, through villages and busy towns and then did some reversing practice - highly reommended. I would really recommend that you do a course from an organisation who train HGV drivers. Good luck.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm sure I remember one school near Culverhouse Cross just west of Cardiff Dawn. I'll phone around tomorrow, see if I can track them down.

I think this is the ones I was thinking of, perhaps they've moved.

Big Wheelers (South Wales) Limited
5 Cwrt-y-Parc
Earlswood Road
Cardiff Business Park
Llanishen
Cardiff, CF14 5GH

Amongst their courses they will cover

* Minibus training for teachers
* PCV D1+E trailer towing

so I'm sure they would give you a few hours in your own vehicle.
This is their contact details, drop them an enquiery.....Best of luck Dawn

bigwheelers@btconnect.com

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
One other thought, as you know I've ordered a new MoHo and my Jackie is a little tense at driving this slightly larger vehicle, perhaps if time is not pressing you could organise a MoHo Driving Meet, including competitions for the boys reversing 9 metre vans in between soft bollards, that sort of thing.

Get Jim maneuvering with his new van with all the slide outs extended....

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The firm we used is literally next door to Newark showground
Broken Link Removed
The instructor is an HGV instructor and a motorhome owner/driver so lots of "tips & wrinkles".

We also found near Daventry
Broken Link Removed
but diamond was a more convenient location for us.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks all, no David I didn't drive the last one, the biggest thing I've driven is a people carrier.
Just think of it as a big people carrier, I'm not convinced a course will help as you have a LHD A Class learning to position it on the road is the hardest bit, the instructors will be used to instructing people with RHD vans.
My biggest problem was ear ache, 1st day after getting the van on the road we were in France. I kept getting deafened with "your going to hit that kerb" "told you" - best advice get some ear plugs.:)
My wife was very reluctant to drive our A Class final managed to get her in the drivers seat over Christmas she was surprised how easy it was, ours is auto as well makes it so much easier all you need to do is steer it.

One thing I found that made a huge difference to positioning was a small piece of black tape at the bottom of the screen about a foot from the left hand side (need to get the right position by trial & error) I know when this is lined up with a kerb or white line the body of the van is 6-9" away from the line or kerb.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
:thanks3:

Thanks for all the help fellow Funsters, I'll definitely look into HGV trainers able to teach me in my van.

I will also post when I'm about to go out on the roads so you can all stay home!
Not saying there is anything wrong with my driving but my girlfriends always draw lots to avoid sitting in the front. :Eeek:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I would always recomend you use a professional instructor, but we are talking Motorhomes so make sure the company can tailor the course to your needs as you are not taking tuition for a test, also make sure if you are in a LHD their instructors have experience in those vehicles, whilst some off road is fine unless you only want reversing training the majority should be on road.

Hope this helps feel free to call if you need any more info.

Cheers Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back