RGB LED strip mood lighting (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hi

Has anyone ever fitted the LED strip mood lighting?
I'm fancying the multi colour type which can be changed (think its RGB?) - may take us back to the disco years!
Would look at fitting above the eye level cupboards to provide mood lighting onto the ceiling.
My questions are;
Appreciate that they come in strips which can be cut and a connector fitted to the end. Does it have to be a special connector with it being RGB/multi colour lights?
Is there a limit to the length of connector wire from the end of the LED strip to the controller box?
Does the controller box have to be in view for the remote to work?
Anyone recommend any supplier?
Thanks!

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I can only answer one question
My box is out of site and the remote works

Mel

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I found that it causes high pitched interference to the TV when dimmed? don't know if it's from the LED's or the dimmer function. ( just white lights though, no colours)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
There are two main types, smd 5050 and the cheaper 3538; 5050 are 5mm x 5mm chips and each chip has 3 LEDs which can be used to create millions of different colours and are often brighter than the 3538 chips.

The smaller 3538 chips contain one LED each and are better for single colour applications.

I have both; the 3528 do not look as good when trying to create different colours.

I have one set of LEDs to go under our awning and another set for inside the van. I have used the remains of a poorly constructed set to illuminate the door and mh entry area with red light to make it easier to get in and out without disturbing the boys in the bed above the door.

I bought my sets from Amazon - they vary in quality with one set literally falling apart where two strips had been joined together. The remains can still be used but it was annoying to see how fragile they can be.

I bought a few cheap controllers and remotes from Amazon and can hide the control boxes out of site with must the "eye" visible for the remote control.

Strips normally come in 5m lengths and can be cut (following the instructions) and can be joined using straight or 90 degree joiners.

Be aware that the 3M sticky backed mounting tape will not hold the LEDs in place and that the waterproof versions are supposedly denser than the non-waterproof options, although I haven't noticed much difference in weight.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Hi -i have the RGB LED strip mood lighting in my sundance lounge area-its very effective-. fitted it under the top lockers so we could also use it at night for reading etc and general illumination. Currently I have it wired to 2 x 6v alarm batteries that are recharged with a small solar panel . but i do need to wire it in to the main 12 v circuit

The little box is out of sight in one of the lockers where the wire connections are and the sensor hangs down behind the locker so we can activate it with the remote. Mine came with all the bits -it was really cheap I used a full 5m length under the lockers and its stuck reasonably well to the underside behind a metal lower rail-out of sight unless you lay on the lounge seats and look up -but then it sill looks tidy-give it a try you cant lose at the prices of these kits . you can always fix it up temporary till you find the right location

ps buy the waterproof ones

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Come clean there are ulterior motives behind that set up :rofl::rofl:
Have you every tried to stump up the cash for a CC site? Having sold the kids for the first night, we were struggling to pay for the second ....

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Well If you are not musical or can't get an interview as the monkey, I guess it is any port in a storm. Don't offer the services too cheaply as you will only encourage a poorer class of clientele. :whistle::whistle: You don't want a vets bill afterwards ;)
I don't want any vets near me - the last time they saw me, they mistook my dribble for rabies and tried to have me put down ... but I wonder if a vet could help the Mrs with her bird 'flu .... :unsure:

Oct 24, 2014
Stockport Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Advantgard
Exp
7 years
Hia

I would like a strip of white lighting in my seating area
Questions
Is it multi colours
And if it is can you just choice what colour you want to light up eg Monday white, Tuesday blue etc
Also where is the best place to buy and what would one need
Sorry what would I need besides the lighting itself
Oh and it can be cut to size am I right in my thinking
Think them are my questions
Thanks

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I have a 1.0m long strip at the top of the cupboard it has a touch control with a wheel like an old iPod. It's a RF controller so doesn't need to be exposed - mine's at the back of a cupboard behind a wooden panel.

Don't stress about the type of chip. RGB strips are only for decoration and I can't imagine anyone still produces strips or holds stock of anything that's rubbish.

WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW...
My company designs and supplies lighting. Colour changing lighting looks great in bars but everywhere else is a waste of time and money. Why? Because anyone who has ever insisted (against our advice) to use RGB LED strips will admit they NEVER use them.
Worse still the white light given as a result of each chip emitting Red Green & Blue at full output is a dirty white with very poor colour rendering.

So go for white LEDs. You really are not missing anything.

I put mine in to see if I'd use it.

I don't!!!

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We use ours as background lighting when watching TV or relaxing. Use different colours and intensity depending on mood, often green but rarely use white. Ours were cheap from Amazon.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have a 1.0m long strip at the top of the cupboard it has a touch control with a wheel like an old iPod. It's a RF controller so doesn't need to be exposed - mine's at the back of a cupboard behind a wooden panel.

Don't stress about the type of chip. RGB strips are only for decoration and I can't imagine anyone still produces strips or holds stock of anything that's rubbish.

WHAT YOU REALLY NEED TO KNOW...
My company designs and supplies lighting. Colour changing lighting looks great in bars but everywhere else is a waste of time and money. Why? Because anyone who has ever insisted (against our advice) to use RGB LED strips will admit they NEVER use them.
Worse still the white light given as a result of each chip emitting Red Green & Blue at full output is a dirty white with very poor colour rendering.

So go for white LEDs. You really are not missing anything.

I put mine in to see if I'd use it.

I don't!!!

Sadly, my first purchase of led strip lights was a disaster - the strip appeared to be made up of lots a number of short lengths and they fell apart.

Our slightly more expensive lights are better (£30) and give good mood lighting in the van - it would be nice if they could be made even dimmer but generally they work well. However, the white is too white and the nearest to tungsten is too yellow so unless we are reading and using the warm led spot lights, wetend to use a light colour (yellow, green or pink) for general use and red for nighttime.

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
You can get 5mt with controllers from a few quid on Fleabay. Same package ect from shows which is a lot more expensive.

Have a look at Horse Race led strip multi function and more colour variations from static to chaser lights.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
This is the kit you need -its cheap enough to try it out

Broken Link Removed

I would suggest not getting this type - the LEDs are in separate sections so when the light changes colour, you still see more of them composite colours. I would suggest getting 5050 led strips / 5m rolls - each section is made up of three colours but as they are smaller, the colour given out is more even and there are many more colour options to choose from, using the remote control.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back