So inspecting a motorhome for damp (1 Viewer)

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
I've read plenty of posts here that describe damp issues that are prevalent in motorhomes and some comments that you should have checked beforehand etc... But I cannot see that there are any details as to where and how people should be checking.

Whilst ideally getting a survey of some description seems to be the way forwards - it appears that even some habitation certificates aren't worth the paper they are written on.

So, I can get a decent meter - any specific places I should be checking? Or is it a case of everywhere?! I'm guessing that perhaps removing panels, under seats and wheel arches but I'd appreciate some specifics if possible.

I'm looking at the swift 686.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
To some extent a damp meter is only as good as the person using it. The non-invasion type give the best results but they are not cheap, the type with prongs will only check moister near the surface and can cause damage to the surface.
Tread carefully with a Swift they have the worst reputation in the industry for damp & water ingress problems.

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I agree with Lenny on this.
I use this one Broken Link Removed with this meter reading of 20 or less is dry.

Practice is the key, find pieces of wood etc to practice on, then be aware that what you are actually measuring is the conductivity of the material. if there are wires ot bits of metal brackets they will give high readings. the most common leaks are around windows, doors, rooflights etc. but also any seams or joints.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As well as using a meter. Look (and smell) for damp and/or its effects.. Look for water marks on ceiling, especially around skylights. Check the ceiling in overhead lockers, feel for it around and under windows and vents and in corners. If buying from a dealer ask for a damp guarantee, the worse thing they can do is laugh. Best of luck (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We weren't aware of water ingress till when the moho was in for something else, our dealer pointed out the 'pimpling' on a side panel, which they duly replaced.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Prodding with a thin screwdriver was frightening.
smiley-shocked003.gif

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back