leeandzed

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
hi... All new to this. We have taken the plunge, packed in our jobs to motorhome it around Europe for the next few years at least! No kids, hence have been fortunate enough to save up a bit for the past few years to buy a van, plus will rent out our house etc for income. One dilemma is that being 6 foot 4, it's not easy finding an MH which is tall enough to stand up in. Also, i personally don't like the look of coach built types of MH's, so am thinking of buying a 2/3 yr old MWB Merc Sprinter or VW crafter (around the 12-15k mark) with a high roof and getting it converted professionally. It seems a much cheaper way also, as I've had quotes ranging anywhere from 6 to 12,000 depending on spec and fittings quality etc. to convert. Has anyone gone down this route ? Also, what is the interior height once converted?
Went to the camper show at the NEC last weekend, but sad there were no conversion firms there to chat to for ideas, so hopefully will get some ideas here... Thanks and looking forward to chatting on here.. Lee and Zoe

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
welcome, great plans

I will be intrigued about the height options for a PVC. high roof or not, can't see you standing up inside once it has been lined and floored

Whatever you end up going in have fun :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hi our son (18) is 6'5" it's not just the head height you have to find it's the bed length and that the driving seat is comfortable.

The trouble with the merc base is that the side walls at the roofline aren't straight and when converted this reduces the head height even more. So I'm not sure it will suit you.

Also a van to full time is needs serious consideration, but that's ok, loads of knowledgeable people on here.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
To answer your question, yes you might be slightly mad, not your age, but the fact you have quit your jobs and haven't even sorted the MH yet, but maybe that is your age still showing through :D I have got a daughter like you (slightly younger in case she happens to read this) :)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Have a good time!

Chose your van carefully though! A PVC might look more sexy on the outside, but you have to live in it for a long time and need space to store stuff! Also, insulation levels are better generally on coachbuilt designs.
Most fulltimers have coachbuilts or A classes for a very good reason! Although I am sure there are exceptions!

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
At 42 I called it a day.
Sold business here at home and had a property in Spain.
Moved out to Spain, after 6 mts found I missed not working and moved back and began working again !
Still spend a month at a time out there but a month is enough for me .... "be careful what you wish for" ! ...
But hey, go for it... "One life, live it"

OP
OP
L

leeandzed

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
Thanks all, wow so many replies in a short time... What a friendly bunch! I should have said in the initial thread, that we are initially driving down to southern Spain for 7 weeks to look for a base to rent for the winter months, and then come back to UK mid May to buy a van. Then tour UK in the summer here, then from early October go to Spain for 6 mths in the winter and have that as a base to explore Spain, Portugal and France etc. so won't be in the van continuously but will be a few weeks at a time.
Some good points already regarding the Merc side walls etc. being narrow... Wil have to visit a few dealers to investigate further.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
not much headroom in the standard merc sprinters, try looking at the Renault Master / Vauxhall Movano with the extra high factory fitted roof, we actually ended up putting a false floor in one with storage ,batteries, and water tanks etc under the floor still had pretty good headroom.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am also 43, but have been fulltiming for 6 years now. Currently in a panel van but as I am a short arse I got away with a Fiat Ducato LWB.

If there are two of you I would suggest looking at the XLWB Iveco's. They give you an Extra Meter of length which would be great for you. They are also rear wheel drive so you have plenty of space underneath to hang stuff. I am pretty certain but you would need to confirm that the roof is also higher than in most other panel vans.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, as your finding this is the best forum on the net for all and any motorhome questions, good luck in your search. (y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks all, wow so many replies in a short time... What a friendly bunch! I should have said in the initial thread, that we are initially driving down to southern Spain for 7 weeks to look for a base to rent for the winter months, and then come back to UK mid May to buy a van. Then tour UK in the summer here, then from early October go to Spain for 6 mths in the winter and have that as a base to explore Spain, Portugal and France etc. so won't be in the van continuously but will be a few weeks at a time.
Some good points already regarding the Merc side walls etc. being narrow... Wil have to visit a few dealers to investigate further.

Welcome.

Re you looking for a base to rent - are you looking for a general location or a property in May? If the latter, I suspect that you will not get the best price - the property market has been poor and peeps may be looking to sell or looking for longer term rentals. They may be optimistic about the coming summer and being able to sell their property at last rather than looking ahead to another winter. What part of spain are you looking for properties to rent?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
hello.jpg and welcome.

Lots of people know lots more than me but here is my cent's worth.

The PVC will probably be too small for you - however you could ask Terry who is a member here and does custom conversions. What he doesn't know you don't need to know.

If I was you I would look at motorhomes in France or Germany due to your budget - make sure it would be legal to import and register back in the UK (or in Spain if you are going to be living there - I think it has to be registered in your country of domicile). Don't rule out a low profile, they might be more visually appealing to you than the traditional motorhome with the bulbous profile.

Consider a LHD as you will have more choice if buying outside the UK.

Oh and please become a paid subscriber - you will get more than you money back and also get full access to the site with all the information. I've no financial interest except for the discounts the members get :)

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
You need to go and have a look at lots of motorhomes. You say you don't like coachbuilts, but they would probably be better equipped and have a wider range of options than most pcv's. Try out the bathrooms too.
If you can afford the fuel, have a look at American RV's, many have at least 7' headroom and are built for bigger people. Of course, this might restrict where you can travel without a bit of research first.
At 43, you haven't started shrinking yet, by the time you are 60, you should fit in most vans!
Allan

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hi and a Welcome.
Stress made me quit at 49. Moved to Cyprus, moved to France.

Partner & I had just bought first motorhome---he was killed in a RTA exactly a week later ( not in motorhome) so
go for it as you never know what's round the corner.

If you want the knowledge on van conversions talk to Terry on here as he's the expert.

Good Luck and keep us all posted on your adventures!

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
No, do it if you want to!
I quit full time work at (cough) 36, and the wife was a few years older. Had 1300+ nights away in the van in total, plus other trips like backpacking and cycling. Only came to an end when parents evicted our stuff from their garage and we had to buy another house.
Whilst we don't regret buying a new house as it has tied us down a bit, we do love where we live and the house. We now do locum/consulting work and have far more offered to us than we want/need, so its a case of throttling back. Now 43 (shit - has it been that long!) we're trying to sort out lots of long ish trips, mixing van with cycling and more backpacking. Variety is the spice of life!
Standing up at 6'4 is going to be tough in any small PVC - as remember there needs to be insulation etc. So you've probably got to either go big (coach/a-class) or accept the fact you won't stand up full. No half way house :(
Your conversion costs are cheap - if you supplied a van to the guys that did ours, the conversion only is £25k - though to be fair its oak construction and very well made (as the use/abuse its had shows).
Our blog may help with some idea, but some out of date now.
Good luck!

OP
OP
L

leeandzed

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
not much headroom in the standard merc sprinters, try looking at the Renault Master / Vauxhall Movano with the extra high factory fitted roof, we actually ended up putting a false floor in one with storage ,batteries, and water tanks etc under the floor still had pretty good headroom.

Thanks FULL TIMER. I am actually looking at the high roof Sprinter, which i think is about the same as the other high roof vans, but want Ze German build quality, as have been driving beemers for donkeys years. Looking on the Merc website they actually do an extra high roof Sprinter but that might be new ones.. Will defo look at the others though thanks.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have a La Strada conversion on a Merc base. It is 16 yrs old but still looks good. I'm 6'2" and can fully stand up in the main cooking / wash areas and don't have much of an issue under the drop down bed which is over the sitting areas. Our van cost us around £16K and is 16 yrs old.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Hi Lee & Zoe
I don't think you're mad - you've got life experience and finance under your belts already, what better time. I did overland backpacking at 30 from Greece to India with a couple of friends and managed to go to many places which are inaccessible now. We had the best time ever, beautiful places, kind people and amazing memories to cherish and draw on.

Can't help re your MH choice but loads of people on here with helpful advice who are only too willing to share it with you.
Good luck and welcome.
Lesley

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
From personal experience , no . enjoy your new lifestyle . you can always go back to work .

Hello and welcome as well .

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I'm prepared to bet that you'd only regret not doing it rather than doing it! I'm not sure that the type of MH would swing it for me but the layout definitely would. Only you know what suits you, but think of unremitting wet days stuck in the van - and then work out which you'd prefer, cramped or commodious accommodation! Best of luck

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
You're gonna need a bigger van;)

For 2 of you full timing - space and payload is the most important thing.
We've been at it over 3 years now starting with an RV then a 5th wheel (both too big for moving about much - IMO - and expensive to run)
Downsized 18 months ago to a German 8m tag axle coach built and it's just right!
I will be selling it in October as we're moving to spain - join up on this forum (best tenner you'll do!) and pm me if you want more help or info!

OP
OP
L

leeandzed

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
Welcome.

Re you looking for a base to rent - are you looking for a general location or a property in May? If the latter, I suspect that you will not get the best price - the property market has been poor and peeps may be looking to sell or looking for longer term rentals. They may be optimistic about the coming summer and being able to sell their property at last rather than looking ahead to another winter. What part of spain are you looking for properties to rent?
Thanks for the response Mattyjwr... We are driving down to Spain in our car on March 30th (have 2 places rented for 6 weeks, 1 inland at Lake Vinuela, 1 coastal in Nerja) and return back to the UK 19th May. Plan is to then seriously look for and buy a MH within a few weeks max. Once bought, then tour UK for a few months in the summer a few weeks at a time and maybe a bit of France. Then early October do a 6 month (cheapy) rental in Southern Spain and have that as a base to explore from in the camper, doing a week/few weeks at a time. Return back to UK end of March, so from then on basically 6 mths UK, and 6 mths Spain for the next few years at least.

OP
OP
L

leeandzed

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
Hi and a Welcome.
Stress made me quit at 49. Moved to Cyprus, moved to France.

Partner & I had just bought first motorhome---he was killed in a RTA exactly a week later ( not in motorhome) so
go for it as you never know what's round the corner.

If you want the knowledge on van conversions talk to Terry on here as he's the expert.

Good Luck and keep us all posted on your adventures!

Thanks Hollyberry.. very sad to hear that and totally agree you never know what's around the corner, which is part of the reason we want to do it. Will seek out Terry for tips thanks.

OP
OP
L

leeandzed

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
No, do it if you want to!
I quit full time work at (cough) 36, and the wife was a few years older. Had 1300+ nights away in the van in total, plus other trips like backpacking and cycling. Only came to an end when parents evicted our stuff from their garage and we had to buy another house.
Whilst we don't regret buying a new house as it has tied us down a bit, we do love where we live and the house. We now do locum/consulting work and have far more offered to us than we want/need, so its a case of throttling back. Now 43 (shit - has it been that long!) we're trying to sort out lots of long ish trips, mixing van with cycling and more backpacking. Variety is the spice of life!
Standing up at 6'4 is going to be tough in any small PVC - as remember there needs to be insulation etc. So you've probably got to either go big (coach/a-class) or accept the fact you won't stand up full. No half way house :(
Your conversion costs are cheap - if you supplied a van to the guys that did ours, the conversion only is £25k - though to be fair its oak construction and very well made (as the use/abuse its had shows).
Our blog may help with some idea, but some out of date now.
Good luck!

Thanks activecampers for the reply, looks like you are doing/have done pretty much everything we want to do and more! The conversion costs at the low end are for a basic fit out with a bed etc. I know you get what you pay for with everything in life, but it does amaze me that a brand new Sprinter for example is like 20k max, and some firms want upwards of 55-60k all done. We were at the show last weekend and they had Sprinters at the lunar stand which were min of 55k upwards, although they were very nice and LWB also, but i cant see how they can justify 30+k on an interior fitout. My whole rear extension on my house including all fittings was less than that and took 11 weeks to complete!! (Will probably get shot down now for these comments too!!) Thanks and will check out your blogs..

OP
OP
L

leeandzed

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm prepared to bet that you'd only regret not doing it rather than doing it! I'm not sure that the type of MH would swing it for me but the layout definitely would. Only you know what suits you, but think of unremitting wet days stuck in the van - and then work out which you'd prefer, cramped or commodious accommodation! Best of luck

Thanks DiggerJon - yes exactly, if i had my way i'd have done it a few yrs ago but at least with a bit more money etc. now we can do things a bit better. At the weekend I stood up in a Fiat Ducato Auto-Trail EKS coach built van, brand new one at 51k. The roof height was good and i had about 1-2 inch clearance from my head... But again i just dont like the look of them.. The missus was all over it and was begging to put down a deposit, I might have to swallow and like you say when the weather is crap and you are stuck in the van... Or have a barney and need a bit of space from each other ;)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I notice quite a few people are saying a PVC conversion will be too small for you. This may not be true. I know a few couples who do it in a PVC fulltime and they are happy.
I think it depends on what you are doing and your personality. If you are active outdoor types and will only be using the van for sleeping, eating and cleaning etc then you should be fine even in a tent. However if you will be in the van a lot then your personality has more to do with it. Living in such a small space if you are not the outdoorsy types could cause problems.

The big advantage of a PVC conversion is that you can go anywhere with minimal planning. Wild camping is much much easier, and you can even do street parking if you need to. With a larger coachbuilt these things will be harder but your living space improves dramatically. If you go up to an RV as has been suggested moving around is very difficult, planning ahead is critical and wild camping becomes much harder.

I would avoid modern merc vans if I were you. They can prove to be very expensive to repair and their reliability is not what they once were. They used to be built like tank and last forever. I have a couple of friends who bought Merc vans for work and a couple of them are regretting it. I don't know the details but one of them had to replace I think it was a starter motor or something and had to have lots of codes reprogrammed etc. It wasn't a cheap job.

If you are travelling it is best to find something that is solid and cheap to repair where you will be travelling. I have stuck to old Fiats just for this reason. A self build however gives you the option to change things round if it doesn't suite you rather than buying a new motorhome if it doesn't work out (y) I am about to do my 3rd refit on my self build :confused:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back